Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: IR songs that stood the test of time " On screen"

Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by baroque View Post
    நித்தம் நித்தம் நெல்லுசோறு நெய் மணக்கும் கத்தேரிக்கா ... மோர்ஸிங் AND கடம் FOR FOLK வாணி ஜெயராம் SINGS FOR பாடபாட் ஜெயலக்ஷ்மி IN ரஜினிகாந்த்'S முள்ளும் மலரும்.

A LONGING INVITE TO HUBBY TOO!

இத்தனைக்கும் மேலிருக்கு
    நெஞ்சுக்குலே ஆசை ஒன்னு
    சூசகமா சொல்ல போறேன் பொம்பள தாங்க
    சூடாக இருக்கறப்போ சாப்புட வாங்க
    Mikka nandri... this song is a strong visualization of the state of affairs between our Thalaivan and Thalavi sung in detail by our Sangam poets . the song brings out the virtue of a tamil gir'ls love for her man

side note - the kurunthogai song below talks of the instinctive happiness she gets when he likes her samayal - this song gives a candid view right into their hut.

முளி தயிர் பிசைந்த காந்தள் மெல் விரல்,
    கழுவுறு கலிங்கம், கழாஅது, உடீஇ,
    குவளை உண்கண் குய்ப்புகை கழுமத்
    தான் துழந்து அட்ட தீம் புளிப் பாகர்
    ‘இனிது’ எனக் கணவன் உண்டலின்,
    நுண்ணிதின் மகிழ்ந்தன்று ஒண்ணுதல் முகனே.

கடிநகர்ச் சென்ற செவிலித்தாய் நற்றாய்க்கு உரைத்தது-கூடலூர் கிழார்

<courtesy - http://karkanirka.org/2011/04/20/kurunthokai167/>

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ennai thottu alli konda.

Kathick and Monisha......... romba azhaga nadichu irupanga. indha paatuku.

karthick.. Natural a,.... nice expressions.

Usha Sankar

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Naan yerikarai melirundhu...............
    village song. Amazing composiitiion... Picturisation................. really Good......

Usha Sankar

Senior Member Veteran Hubber baroque's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    my avatar-Marlon Samuel confused Nasc, app_eng!

Nasc, I am a lady, call me Vinatha.

That's beautiful sangam literature poetry!
    Except, I wish the girl uses a kitchen towel , she will be smelling like 'morunjadham' rest of the day!
    thanks NASC!

We woke up to enthu paranjalum..... this morning, it's only logical I have a craving for PACHAMALA POOVU... of Kizhakku Vasal
    When Achuvinte amma came, we told you, Raja! Dejavu feeling all in our brain & manasunnu!

anyway..
    R.V.Udhayakumar's kizhakku Vasal with Karthik

lullaby! Beautiful album!
    enchanting song by one & only S.P.B
    bewitching strings, tabla ilayaraja's flute melody, second interlude

Sita Kalyana Vaibhogame
    Rama Kalyana Vaibhogame

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

My Top 12

Here are my ‘Beautiful Dozen’:

1. The first song that comes to my mind is, "Azhage Azhagu Devathai" from Raaja Paarvai.
    It is a timeless classic, in terms of its music, the poetic visualisation, the lead pair - Kamal Haasan and Madhavi's natural performances, the superb lighting and camerawork and art direction within the confined space of a bachelor's room.... Amazing!

2 and 3: ‘Sa Re Ga re Ga Pa Dha Pa’ and Brochevarevarura ‘ and from K Vishwanath’s Shankarabharanam: Although all songs from this cult classic were super hits and a few like Shankara and Raagam Taanam Pallavi became some of the most popular songs of those years (even in Tamil Nadu villages, every school singing contest had kids singing these songs), as for picturisation, I always cherish the below two songs as ever-green: ‘Sa Re Ga re Ga Pa Dha Pa’ and ‘Brochevarevarura’. The former, a very short piece had some poetic, timeless moments and the simple swara sadhana practice was made into a beautiful song by K. V.Mahadevan, sung so well by SPB and Janaki. The picturisation was awesome, the mood of sunrise at the Godavari river bank.. Wow! Still evokes the morning freshness and the touching moments.
    The second song, Brochevarevarura represents the realization of the lady’s dream through her son, when he learns the classic composition from the Guru and casually performs the songs at her make-shift house. There’s so much of human emotions woven into this song by the master director – him tying the anklets to his mother, and she bursting into the abhinaya, which gets so energetic towards the faster swaras, without losing the ‘bhava’ even for a moment. The lighting (I remember a real rainbow appearing at the end of the song over the dark-clouds.. symbolic of the happier times ahead for the duo). These two songs remain forever in my mind.

4. Sundari Kannaal Oru Sedhi - I can never get tired of listening to and watching the picturisation of this song. The 'period' costumes were eye-candy, Shobana never looked more gorgeous (the funny samura-hairstyle for Rajni notwithstanding), and the art direction was great. The most important factor of course is the brilliant music score.

5. Valayosai - from Satya: The superb song, with some great story-telling and spirited performances from Kamal and Amala make it another all-time favorite.

6. "Maalayil Yaaro" from Kshatriyan. another excellent composition by IR, with great singing by the late Swarnalatha, which was picturised with some refined aesthetics - the Maniratnam school of picturisation, if you like. Bhanupriya looked a million bucks.

7. All the following songs are (not surprisingly) montage songs. Very few directors in Indian cinema excelled in montage songs, with the artists not lip-synching to the song and the pioneers were in Tamil and Malayalam cinema – notably Balu Mahendra, Mahendran and Mani Rathnam. If you see, montage songs shot in natural light from the 80’s seldom look out of time or place. They can be related to even today.
    “Metti Oli Kaatrodu” from Metti. Mahendran has a great aesthetic sense in my view. This song has left an indelible mark in me, as I remember most of the ‘montage’ shots shot in natural lights with just 3 ladies sans any make up.

8. “Raja Raja Cholan Naan” – from “Rettai Vaal Kuruvi”.

9. Malare Malare ullaasam – Un Kannil Neer Vazhindhaal. This in my view is Balu Mahendra’s worst movie, but the song is lovely and the lead pair Rajni and Madhavi were presented so beautifully.

10. “En Iniya Pon Nilaave” from “Moodupani”. Though I can’t stand Pratap Pothen,, Balu Mahendra weaved magic with his visuals.

11. ‘Poongaatru Puthithaanathu’ from ‘Moondram Pirai’

12. Enna Satham indha neram from Punnagai Mannan – I can recollect every shot – the greenery, the Atirapalli waterfalls, the passion and se xual tension between the couple, the impending danger – all captured so well by cinematographer Raghunatha Reddy. Excellent musical score together with SPB’s soulful rendition make it one of my all-time best.

However if there’s one favorite song that I just hate to watch on TV or Youtube, it’s got to be Poove Sempoove from ‘Solla thudikkudhu Manasu”.. Wonder how composer IR and singer Yesudas’ reacted while watching this horrendous picturisation!
    Last edited by SVN; 10th October 2012 at 02:09 AM.

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    SVN,
    Small nitpick : as shankarAbharaNam was not by rAsA, eppadi intha izhaikkupporundhum?

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by baroque View Post
    my avatar-Marlon Samuel confused Nasc, app_eng!
    Actually "baroque (era)" to "barook (Muhammed)" was funnier

Post Thanks / Like
    appadiyaa
    that's a good list, SVN.thanks.
    Last edited by baroque; 10th October 2012 at 06:55 AM.

Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by app_engine View Post
    Actually "baroque (era)" to "barook (Muhammed)" was funnier
    manichudunga for the damage....new to this part of the world/forum

Post Thanks / Like

Vinatha
    Last edited by baroque; 10th October 2012 at 07:20 AM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast