Page 26 of 154 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676126 ... LastLast

Thread: IR News and Other Titbits Ver.2009

Senior Member Senior Hubber raagas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dont mistake me friends. I am not at all saying that he at par. I would infact say that the instances in which we can quote the 'serious-discipline' when it comes to IR.. FAR OUTNUMBERS the instances we can quote about ARR.

I am only saying that merely dismissing 'COMPLETELY' as non-serious and jingle composer is little far fetched. And seriousness neednt be associated purely with classical music alone (be it indian or western).i think thats where the author got lost. I agree that IR's music is like a seamless fabric and to some extent ARR's music is an interesting collage stitched together. But I think ARR's music also had some, mind you, SOME instances, where we can feel some serious discipline in the genres he is handling.And i am not saying this about ARR alone, probably VidyaSagar or any other composer too might have his share of discipline and commitment.

I wrote my comment only because i felt the author judged purely on the level of 'popular numbers', based on which, yes, IR's music appears more serious (yet pleasing to masses) while ARR's music appears to be plain pleasing to the masses. But i think there were some instances in which ARR, atleast tried to, bring out serious music. The author perhaps did not notice such work.
    Also, lets look at this way - a Ninnu Kori Varnam might be, or probably was perhaps non-serious music to some purists back then when it was released, although it took south indian by storm. But for me, it is damn serious music, in fusion genre. So, there is no common ground to measure and the author tried to measure it without putting 'his ground' or 'his scale'. Thats why i said so.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    RF,

if you have the contacts you can ask SPB about ARR's WCM and for String arrangements unfortunatly Mr.Sridhar is nomore to tell about the same. I am quoting these two cause they are champions in the respective fields

Quote Originally Posted by raja_fan
    Raagas,

but don't you feel the author is too generous to ARR when he said
    "Interestingly, both are proficient in western classical harmonies and string arrangements. "

Do you seriously place ARR on par with IR in WCM and string arrangements ?

Senior Member Veteran Hubber rajasaranam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    RF & PB,

The Difference should lie in the bold & underlined sentence found below I hope.

Interestingly, both are proficient in western classical harmonies and string arrangements. Both have graduated from the Trinity College of Music, London, though Ilaiyaraaja bagged a gold medal there. For classical Indian music, both were students of Dhanraj ‘Master’ in Chennai. Both have awesome proficiency on the piano, keyboard and synthesizer. On top of it, both are versatile vocalists, with a distinctly nasal tinge

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kameshratnam
    Regarding RPO being released i guess IR is the best person to come and talk about it in public..Simply saying pop corn and full meals is not going to be of any help..
    I have been maintaining that ARR has been having a great team of PRO's who spread good things and are responsible for his entry in mumbai and then to places outside india
    A PRO is for the public, not for fellow artists. To win over a fellow artist you need an agent. AR Rahman certainly has an agent. I am not sure whether he has a PRO, though.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber rajasaranam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    raagas,

similarly writing off Raaja as a 'Elitist' or only a 'Serious Music' maker is also fat fetched I believe. Both Raaja and Rahman are doing 'pop' music as wel serious music. none hesitated from asking Raaja to compose for a Disco, folk or dappankuthu no. similarly none hesitated from asking Rahman to compose a 'Narumugaiye', 'nila kaigirathu' and many more other classical based nos.

But It has been repeatedly said in many places that 'Raaja's songs are serious music and Rahmans songs are pop music only because the content and the way they treat their music are like that. Raaja treats a pop song seriously and Rahman treats a classical song lightly hence this analogy by many listeners.

One more analogy which is running amuck in blog space and people's dialogue is 'Raaja's music is like lullaby and makes you sleep and Rahman's music is peppy and makes you dance'

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rajasaranam
    RF & PB,

Interestingly, both are proficient in western classical harmonies and string arrangements. Both have graduated from the Trinity College of Music, London, though Ilaiyaraaja bagged a gold medal there. For classical Indian music, both were students of Dhanraj ‘Master’ in Chennai. Both have awesome proficiency on the piano, keyboard and synthesizer. On top of it, both are versatile vocalists, with a distinctly nasal tinge
    Good point RS.
    But the author's definition of 'serious music' seems to be not carnatic classical or western classical alone, but a grasp over every genre handled. I felt the author didnt take ARR seriously enough firstly, to make the comparison which he tried in that article. I felt as if the author arrived at his conclusion by comparing a 'Sundari Kannal' (dalapathi) with a 'Humma Humma'. Now, compared to former, definitely the latter is non-serious.I was only saying that we cannot write off like that.

It would have been more appropriate if the author said that IR's music is more strongly rooted in serious disciplines, no matter whichever genre he chooses, while ARR's music shuffles in and out, depending on the theme of the film and the filmmakers intent.
    I think thats a better way of putting it, because i felt ARR did give 'serious music' (seriousness perceived as the author) in say, a Shyam Benegal film or a Deepa Mehta film, for example, compared to any commercial Shankar film or Subhash Ghai film.

But as i said, ultimately.. IR's 'serious music' outnumbers that of ARR because IR has huge body of work. Also, the degree and dimension of that 'serious music' vary, because they are different individuals.

Post Thanks / Like
    raagas,

similarly writing off Raaja as a 'Elitist' or only a 'Serious Music' maker is also fat fetched I believe. Both Raaja and Rahman are doing 'pop' music as wel serious music. none hesitated from asking Raaja to compose for a Disco, folk or dappankuthu no. similarly none hesitated from asking Rahman to compose a 'Narumugaiye', 'nila kaigirathu' and many more other classical based nos.

But It has been repeatedly said in many places that 'Raaja's songs are serious music and Rahmans songs are pop music only because the content and the way they treat their music are like that. Raaja treats a pop song seriously and Rahman treats a classical song lightly hence this analogy by many listeners.

One more analogy which is running amuck in blog space and people's dialogue is 'Raaja's music is like lullaby and makes you sleep and Rahman's music is peppy and makes you dance'
    You are right.both are doing both.

And you just wrote it "it has been repeatedly SAID" . I dont know why people say that way.like the song you have suggested "Narumugaye" - i think ARR didnt treat it lightly, but was infact 'serious music' (atleast i felt so). A friend of mine once pointed out a ARR song "Saanwariya" from film 'Swades' and he showed me some of the ideas used in that song by singing the swaras (he knew classical music and he was referring to a particular tune in either hari khamboji or Hanumathodi, i cant exactly recall) and how he changes the pattern. i was really surprised and wondered -does ARR also think so much? Trust me, the ideas, as narrated by my friend, made me feel if ARR too was thinking like IR? That was just one instance.

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    RF & PB,

2 Oscar
    1 Golden Globe
    4 National Awards

Wat more gold medal needed

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Hulkster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    RF & PB,

I think it is wrong. ARR got a degree in WCM while IR got a gold medal for guitar. It is true that they studied the same college.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kham
    RF & PB,

2 Oscar
    1 Golden Globe
    4 National Awards

Wat more gold medal needed
    Kham, you named awards. RS cited qualifications. I hope you know the difference between the both.