Page 48 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3846474849 LastLast

Thread: Global recognition for IR's music.......

Senior Member Senior Hubber raagas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting Discussion.Very valid thoughts by irir.

To add further,I dont think IR would find it comfortable working in Hollywood setup firstly. As irir said, it is highly structured, corporatized and what not. In case of IR, he is the final authority for his creations. Hollywood doesnt work like that. They have a team, which has to approve every piece of creation and its relevance & apt-ness to the story or theme etc. Be it music or make-up or costumes, anything. I dont want to digress or compare, but film-maker shekar kapur once lamented that - "I asked A R Rahman to score the music for Golden Age, and even then I was allowed only to take him as a co composer. And I watched as the studio rejected the most beautiful compositions from A R Rahman, because they did not get or were not willing to embrace something from another culture. As it happened the score of Golden Age was not half as good as it could have been."

IR can never ever take the system of functioning in Hollywood.He cares a hoot about some studio fellow dumping his track & will eventually quit, to return back to tamil films & devotional albums. So, lets not really worry about IR & Hollywood. It will never happen.
    Just 7 notes behold a beauty of life...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Golden Age ..needed IR, probably not ARR.

Post Thanks / Like
    Kiru,

I agree that it needed IR.But i cited it as an example.We all know that IR sticks to the notes he writes.Not a single note changes and it is merely executed. He write the whole code for the program and his crew comes and click their respective "Run" buttons for the Program. Now in Hollywood, the studio guys tweak a lot with the scores. If not technically, atleast by suggestions and demands. They might dismiss some tune and take some other tune. or they might even ask IR to collaborate. I dont think IR will give in to all that. He can never do his work whole-heartedly in such a setup.

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    யார் எழுதிய பாட்டாக இருந்தாலும் குற்றம் கண்டு பிடிப்பார்களா? ...எ.கொ.ச இது?...அப்ப நம்ம தல அந்த பக்கமே தல வச்சு படுக்கமாட்டார்னு நினைக்கிறேன் ..

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eagle
    யார் எழுதிய பாட்டாக இருந்தாலும் குற்றம் கண்டு பிடிப்பார்களா? ...எ.கொ.ச இது?...அப்ப நம்ம தல அந்த பக்கமே தல வச்சு படுக்கமாட்டார்னு நினைக்கிறேன் ..
    That is one of the wrong propaganda about IR, IMHO. There is at least one reported case where IR's melody was rejected and he composed an alternate (then pANdichcheemaiyilE). That IR is inflexible / fixed is a media (or hub?) generated thingy.

How could Balki "arm-twist" him to simply tweak his yesteryear hits for his two movies, had IR not wanted to work in such settings?

If there's an opportunity with sufficient revenue terms, I don't think IR will refuse to work with different terms and conditions.

The only problem with him at this point of time is "lack of efforts or possibly motivation to get an opportunity"

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    You people is not considering his age and his wish? See he is getting more and more a religious no no spiritual. So I think he won't take any move even a bit atleast initially. If everything will happen correctly atleast 'the start' then he can try at max.

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by app_engine
    That is one of the wrong propaganda about IR, IMHO. There is at least one reported case where IR's melody was rejected and he composed an alternate (then pANdichcheemaiyilE). That IR is inflexible / fixed is a media (or hub?) generated thingy.

How could Balki "arm-twist" him to simply tweak his yesteryear hits for his two movies, had IR not wanted to work in such settings?

If there's an opportunity with sufficient revenue terms, I don't think IR will refuse to work with different terms and conditions.

The only problem with him at this point of time is "lack of efforts or possibly motivation to get an opportunity"
    I agree partially that he composed different tunes if the director is not satisfied there are so many examples to that.One that come to mind immediately is RV udhayakumar narrated incident about yejaman song but again when it comes to scoring BGM he prefers to listen to director any length befor scoring it but refuses to alter it later if the director demands... is there any incident where he compromised on this too? would like to know...

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    when it comes to scoring BGM he prefers to listen to director any length befor scoring it but refuses to alter it later if the director demands... is there any incident where he compromised on this too? would like to know...
    Don't remember reading anything about BGM stuff (except the 'AhA / OhO / aRputham / instantaneous / perfectly fitting etc' business).

There're two things here -
    First - not much attention is paid in general by the public for BGM. So, that reflects on the importance the production group gives for that. Under such conditions, what IR gave was accepted as if a "small eclairs" expecting child were given a big "herschey's almond bar"

Only on rare occasions they give extra attention, like BSO etc.

Second, even on such occasions, there's possibility that IR far exceeded the expections of the team (thus possibly not requiring changes).

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    The only thing I am very certain about Raja is this ability of his to surprise us, musically or otherwise. When he speaks in public functions you sometimes want to hide the microphone from him. In other cases, like the one during Rahman's felicitation function, you don't want him to stop!!! Added to it is the fact that he is a person who knows what is happening around him. (I remember reading a member of Rahman's technical team saying that two of the most technology savvy guys amongst music directors are Rahman and Raja.) I can't read his mind but I am more than sure he knows _exactly_ what happens in Hollywood when you score for a film. More importantly, even in the Indian film context, he knows his role exactly. He never overdoes his part in BGM. He gives what is required for the movie and not what he wants to give. Given this background, I wouldn't be surprised if he agreed to do a Hollywood on Hollywood terms !!! Of course, as irir123 has indicated, Hollywood will not seek him out and he himself is not seeking out Hollywood. So this will remain our wish only for the time being. Something can only happen if it is a wish of Raja.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sureshs65
    Added to it is the fact that he is a person who knows what is happening around him. (I remember reading a member of Rahman's technical team saying that two of the most technology savvy guys amongst music directors are Rahman and Raja.) I can't read his mind but I am more than sure he knows _exactly_ what happens in Hollywood when you score for a film. More importantly, even in the Indian film context, he knows his role exactly. He never overdoes his part in BGM. He gives what is required for the movie and not what he wants to give.
    I totally agree. Even i agree reading one article. I cant exactly recall if it was H.sridhar but could be. But i remember someone saying that IR & ARR are very techno savvy guys.
    Secondly, I also think that he is well aware about what happens in Hollywood and how.Matter of common sense too.. that if we, just the audience who are outside the industry know few things, he definitely must be knowing quite a lot, having worked in the industry for decades. Added to that, he has worked with a number of musicians, in Chennai, Bombay & Budapest. So he is very much aware and may be thats why he is not ambitious about trying Hollywood (so that he neednt compromise).

Page 48 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3846474849 LastLast