newtfmpage.com
Home   Forum   Wiki   Notes   Register   FAQ   Sitemap   About Us   Contact Us  

<b>Why Singers Love <i>A.R.Rahman</i> ??</b> Why Singers Love A.R.Rahman ??

Topic started by dinesh (@ 210.186.42.10) on Wed Mar 19 22:04:27 EST 2003.
All times in EST +10:30 for IST.

Singer Srinivas :

In 1992, in Coimbatore, was when I went to see Maniratnam's Roja because it was a Maniratnam movie. Dreams of playback singing had taken a back seat; I was in Coimbatore and travelling and didn't know how to approach it now. I was just taken aback by the freshness of Roja's music. After a long time, I had bought a tamil film audio cassette. This new person, Rahman, had introduced so many singers; the re-entry of Sujatha, Hariharan (my favorite!), Minmini (God knows who she was at that time!) and Unnimenon. Immediately, I realized that this person has an attitude towards introducing new artists, his music sounds fresh and he was definitely here to stay! On one of my official trips to Chennai, I got hold of Rahman's address and went to see him directly. At that time, he was very accessible (he had just started working on Pudhiya Mugam). He conducted a voice test; I sang a Mehdi Hassan ghazal and he liked it. I mentioned that I lived in Coimbatore and he said that if I moved to Chennai, he might be able to work with me. By the time I came to Chennai in 1994-95, he had shot through the roof!.. The gates had become bigger at Rahman's place (laughs!). It was difficult to even get through to his office. With persistance and a little bit of luck, I was finally able to see him again. As soon as he saw me, he remembered. That's Rahman!.. He's human... and he's got GOD inside him as well! He slowly started giving me singing assignments.

The Different of ARR and Illai: (by srinivas)
How does Rahman usually go about doing a song? Does he tune it first or does he let you sing and improvise as the song progresses?

Rahman's approach is totally different which now many people have started following.(such as Harris Jeyaraj-the clone-said by me,dinesh) For example, Raja Sir has the whole thing in his mind from the very beginning. You don't have a doubt about what you should sing and you better not! (laughs). Two totally different schools of music. With Rahman, when you go in, nothing is ready. He just feeds in some basic chords. When you listen to them on your headphones, you are transported to some other world. Within two minutes, he creates a masterpiece of a loop. Those chords are just magic. You feel like singing so much! He incredibly motivates you when singing, which is also the reason why artists (singers and instrumentalists alike) give him the very best.

Responses:

List all pages of this thread

Back to the Forum

Post comments