newtfmpage.com
Home   Forum   Wiki   Notes   Register   FAQ   Sitemap   About Us   Contact Us  

Whose song is that? Whose song is that?

Topic started by RV (@ c660409-a.frmt1.sfba.home.com) on Fri Apr 21 23:48:53 EDT 2000.
All times in EST +10:30 for IST.

Who is the person identified with a song? In other words, if you hv to pick up one owner of a given song, who would you pick?

The most natural answer is that the music director, as the "creator" of the song. But this doesnt seem to be quite true. When I think of a song like say, "Adho Andhap Paravai Pola Aada Vendum", my mind automatically says MGR song. Maybe MGR deserves the honor as he supposedly played a crucial role in choosing tunes and polishing the song. But then why do we identify Sodhanai Mel Sodhanai with Sivaji?

Sometimes, one contributor to the song is so outstanding that we automatically identify the song with that person. When I hear Mannil Indhak Kadhal, SPB is the first name that pops into my mind. Atthikkai Kai Kai becomes a Kannadasan song. Chinna Chinna Aasai becomes an AR Rahman song and so on.

Cassettes of MGR duets, Sivaji thatthuvap padalgal, Rajini songs, Chandrababu songs, PBS songs, IR songs, Rahman songs, Maniratnam songs etc are more common than KV Mahadevan songs, Vali songs, AP Nagarajan songs. What makes us recognize a song like "Oru Naal Podhuma" as a Balamuralikrishna song rather than a KV Mahadevan song or even a Kannadasan song?

Please come up with theories, answers.

Responses:

List all pages of this thread

Back to the Forum

Post comments