View Poll Results: What did you think of the movie & use of songs?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Excellent!

19 76.00%
  • Average. :

4 16.00%
  • |Too many songs/ poorly utilised. ;(

2 8.00%
Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: || Vinnaithaandi Varuvaaya | ARR | Gautham Menon || - Part 2

Senior Member Diamond Hubber MADDY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Enakku enna venumnu enakke theriyaadhu" says jessy(played by trisha)........"avan avan love-kaaga america-ve poraan, naa alleppey poga maattena" says karthik(simbU) in another scene.......there goes GVM - an intense love story between a confused girl and a obsessive boy......this "dreamy" mechanical engineer, who seems to be a byproduct of maniratnam movie heroes, nurtures the "obsession" of becoming a director........his family, who live in a rented house, obviously disaprove to their son's ideas.......karthik then meets jessy, mallu christian house owner ponnu - instantly breaks into hosanna song for this stylish, well-read, avalavu azhagana ponnu.......karthik goes on a drive of love which simply doesent have a brake........he falls head over heels, gets hit(in heart) badly and that is defintion of love for him.......he expresses his "tatkal" love to her......

Jessy is really confused - so much so that she hasnt let any boy near her in life inspite of being a super figure (as said by karthik)........when karthik proposes to her, at one point she doesent want him to follow her but takes a U-Turn next moment and yearns for him.........she gives contradicting signals by allowing physical advances of her obsessive follower as early as their 4th meeting.......she doesent know if its love, she doesent know, even if its love - will her dad accept it.......she outsources the important decisions of life to her dad due to her inconsistent thinking......she wanders into dangerous territories of love with karthik which has strong shades of flirting......dangerous because her dad who takes decisions for her would never approve a struggling director as her husband who also happens to be a Hindu.....heights of confusion occurs when she does a runaway bride in marriage arranged by her parents much to the happiness of karthik.....she is however still up in arms with her priorities....karthik is a mere puppet in her chaotic mood swings and offers love, sorry, kisses and rahman songs as compensation....she finally takes a decision (yes finally), but is she convinced about that? ah, never mind.....

karthik, much like DevD, drowns into alcoholic love and lets jessy influence things in his life.......as his frnd says pointing to his heart "inga enna solludhu, jessy jessy-nnu solludha"..........his family gets moved to a new place due to his brawl, which again is for jessy.......he has a not-so-good impression in his first job as assisant director to KS.Ravikumar due to jessy..........he refuses to see the safe path of breakup, he refuses to acknowledge that there are other fishes in the pond even as jessy herself says "indha olagathula ivalavu per irundhum, yen enna love panna", he also refuses to acknowledge love of his co-worker(chanda of devd?)....he refuses to follow patterns of normality and parental advices...jessy's final decision becomes the catalyst for his next move as well.......in a sudden rage of positive energy he starts writing story for his first movie and succeeds in that......time moves on but obsession & confusion stay

how many movies do we see the mileu being set up in the first 5 mins and the main plot opening in less than 10 mins........how many directors would have the guts to loosen all important knots in first half and save only one for second half.......Gautam does it - its a very brave attempt by GVM since the movie is so much abt jessy and karthik that everything else hardly finds a place.......this is hardly the run of the mill love story which is brutally non-judgemental abt everything around it.......it doesent even stop to ponder abt heroine's sincerity, "ponnunga naale ippadi dhaanda machhan" etc......there is a very thin macro-political brush of mallu-tamil tension plus there is a very slight undercurrent of economic disparity between the 2 families......but those things hardly matter - its the characters which take the story forward........the dialogues were unbeliavably natural and were straight out of our daily lives.......the dialogues were witty, in adherence to characters and took its own sweet time.......there are recursive character strokes and dialogues uttered but its so natural to repeat ourselves right?? however with these recursive pieces and the intense indulgence turns tiring after a point of time.......film badly missed a extra shade to their characters or some other incident/sequence......looking at it from a pessimistic view, story does look stretched and devoid of timing in many places......but that should hardly matter once you get into the characters......

Simbu was supportive of the script by being very bland and subdued........pre-climax scene and climax scenes were highlights.........he did look clueless in some places but overall he was very good.....Trisha pulls it off with a bit of effort.....she does look stiff in some places and huge jyothika hangover but film really needed a trisha to depict a character which is not straight-forward......Manoj Paramahansa was brilliant as usual but songs picturisation and choreography were disappointments.......ARRahman is the hero of second half - where the screenplay falters, script goes into a loop, characters dont have a clue - its Rahman's BGM which carries the movie into safety of pre-climax and climax scenes......the mood of melancholy is set beautifully right from first scene by rahman.....its not the usual sugary love movie BGM.......heavy metal BGM for the heroine in a love story - take that says Rahman

movie's title indicates a uneasy feel of "impossible".......Jessy is like the star in the sky living in fairy tales and this obsessive young karthik keeps questioning "will you come from the skies" over and over......
    _________
    Rahman's music is the ringtone on God's mobile phone

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber Yathu's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hopefully will be catching this on Sunday. Can't wait! Theres only a single afternoon showtime here everyday. Ayngaran messing up again. Even crappy films got more showtimes than this!

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber Yathu's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm refraining from reading any detailed reviews till then.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber lancelot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    lovely mature love story. Finally a Tamil director has grown up.. finally...
    i feel that everyone who has loved mite be able to relate to at least a bit of the movie. i know i did

could have been may be 20mins shorter... but am not really complaining... it was good...

the music as we all know is Awesome... nicely pictured.. my pick Oh Mana Penne... BMG was fresh and had a bit song in it too (may be we will be lucky to one day hear the full song)
    Sadhakallahu Nabiyul Kareem - A R Rahman

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just Watched the movie yesterday in France in a suck theatre where they don't have dts , let's come to point, First and all, The movie is great but not so, the whole team's work really well, ARR rocked in bgm, Gautham rocked in picturation songs , he place everysong in the which movie needed, Simbu acting is outstanding, fresh story, but GM if he trim some mins in ending, it must be good, it's true 2nd half went slowly, Jessie crazy bgm is really good, there is a fight in the movie which i liked lot, overall movie is so good in 1 half, 2nd half could done better, ending is ok.
    my vote : 4/5 .

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    quick thoughts on VTV background score

http://backgroundscore.blogspot.com/...ackground.html

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Muzammil i also watched this movie on the same f****** theater in France on friday night !! there is only 3 show per day!!
    Dissapointing sound systeme .. movie is overall good ...

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Roshan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lancelot
    i feel that everyone who has loved mite be able to relate to at least a bit of the movie. i know i did

could have been may be 20mins shorter... but am not really complaining... it was good...

the music as we all know is Awesome... nicely pictured.. my pick Oh Mana Penne... BMG was fresh and had a bit song in it too (may be we will be lucky to one day hear the full song)
    Lance, in which theater did you watch this in Colombo ?
    And those who were seen dancing, were thought to be insane, by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber lancelot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Roshan
    Quote Originally Posted by lancelot

Lance, in which theater did you watch this in Colombo ?
    Cine City, the movie was good.. but the movie experience was dreadful...
    Sadhakallahu Nabiyul Kareem - A R Rahman

Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast