• Scintillating Seventies - Light & Semi-Classical

3 5.00%
  • Scintillating Seventies - Advent of WCM Technical Depth

4 6.67%
  • Exhilirating Eighties - Early 80's fusion

30 50.00%
  • Exhilirating Eighties - Mid 80's Auto-Pilot Smooth orhcestration

15 25.00%
  • Exhilirating Eighties - back to folk in the late 80's(Ramarajan etc)

2 3.33%
  • New Age Nineties - Early 90's classics(Devar Magan, Ejamaan etc)

3 5.00%
  • New Age Nineties - The Malayalam Majesty

1 1.67%
  • Maestro's Magic - 2000's

1 1.67%
Page 320 of 347 FirstFirst ... 220270310318319320321322330 ... LastLast
Results 3,191 to 3,200 of 3468

Thread: Raja's Gems - the latest one you heard...Part 3

Junior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    definitely early 80's (imo)

one of the best.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Adi kannatha" from Siva has now been on a once-a-day listen mode !

I cannot think of any other composer customizing a song to suit the image, personality and the energy of any actor, the way IR has done over, over and over again!

This song is a great example for the same - look no farther than this song to understand what made Rajini the star click so well in the late 1980s - IR infuses the "Rajini"sque energy into this track so casually, like a Mark Waugh lofted on-drive, making SPB render it exactly as IR wants him to, one would think Rajini himself is singing.

The place where the tune goes up "then madura thamizh sandham" immediately followed by "andha pandi muthhu pol en pulla" and the "thara ramp am" to come back to the main pallavi - what a roller-coaster ride for a typical situation in a Rajini film from the 1980s!!

if a Rajini fan has not listened to this song, he/ she does not deserve to be a Rajini fan - conditionaa soltaen!

PS: this is one song I like despite the "chaangu jakkaa" chorus!

Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    I totally agree with you. One of my favorite songs. Similiarly the other song in the movie where chars raj gets married is also a great song -

Junior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am a bit uncomfortable about the styling 'auto pilot' for his mid 80s work. Auto pilot suggests treading the beaten path without much effort. He was very much in a creative mood in the mid 80s, probably just took it to a level where his trademark indo-western fusion didn't strike you in the face (and more natural and seamless). Sangeetha Meham which I heard again the other day comes to mind. The 2nd interlude is just incredible, a kind of tribute to Bach. And it fits so well in the context of the lyrics, drawing from all sources to show that it's all music at the end of the day, whether we call it Indian or Western or whatever.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    crimson king - even when he was on 'autopilot', whenever he was given the freedom to give something creative, or a challenge was presented - he has always risen to the occasion - it was during this autopilot mode, he gave us the underrated 'my dear marthandan' (every Prathap Pothan's directorial venture with IR had a percussion heavy soundtrack that IR uniquely customized to his films - PP made Chaithanya in telugu - rollicking score), 'poonthotta kavalkaran' etc.

look at the 'adi ponnatha' song situation - director must have explained it thus : "the hero (Rajini) discovers his wife is pregnant and announces the same to the entire town/village through a song".

IR gives a number that has all the ingredients of a Rajinisque song - uncomplicated jerky tune composed to accommodate Rajini's style (if you will) and makes SPB render it with enough intonations to complete the 'Rajini' feel!

'yaaney mele kudhire mele' the way its rendered, and also the throw of words with which SPB ends a line/sentence or the slight giggly note in the pallavi towards the end - its all Rajini-specific rendition by SPB, as obviously insisted and directed by IR!

remember in an interview, SPB confessed that under IR he gets to sing exactly as he wants him to, citing the example of 'madathiley kanni madhathiley' from Veera

Post Thanks / Like
    That's a somewhat different topic and yes I agree of course that even in less stimulating projects, he often came up with great songs. I was addressing the mid 80s specifically. Referring to it as autopilot smooth is kind of misleading (at least to me) - it suggests as if seamlessness and better resolution of ideas is not such a good thing. I think even by his exalted standards he hit a purple patch in the mid 80s, coming up with some of his best scores - Mouna Raagam, Vaidehi Kaathirunthal, Punnagai Mannan, Mudhal Mariyadhai, Udhaya Geetham, Amman Koil Kizhakaale, Sindhu Bhairavi, etc etc. Speaking of Amman..., the interaction between SPB on vocals and guitar, flute and harmonium in the track Chinna Mani is incredible. What appears to be just a peppy folk based track is full of stunning complexity.

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    hearing this after a long time... from the movie Yugandhar, more popularly known as Don in Hindi. The one and only NTR movie for which IR has composed

Senior Member Devoted Hubber Dragun's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crimson king View Post
    I am a bit uncomfortable about the styling 'auto pilot' for his mid 80s work. Auto pilot suggests treading the beaten path without much effort. He was very much in a creative mood in the mid 80s, probably just took it to a level where his trademark indo-western fusion didn't strike you in the face (and more natural and seamless). Sangeetha Meham which I heard again the other day comes to mind. The 2nd interlude is just incredible, a kind of tribute to Bach. And it fits so well in the context of the lyrics, drawing from all sources to show that it's all music at the end of the day, whether we call it Indian or Western or whatever.
    I've been listening to Sangeetha Megam over and over for the last day or two. Such a beautiful song.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber baroque's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Erotic Sivaranjani from Guitar strumming, Piano Ilayaraja's violin & flute back drop in VAA VAA ANBE....AGNI NATCHATHIRAM......YESUDAS & CHITRA!

I never fail to drool over Karthik! Yum Yum!

Vinatha

Post Thanks / Like
    ^^^ Simply incredible composition...quietly intense. Love that descending bassline right at the beginning.