Page 378 of 401 FirstFirst ... 278328368376377378379380388 ... LastLast
Results 3,771 to 3,780 of 4002

Thread: Maestro ilaiyaraaja news & titbits

Senior Member Diamond Hubber venkkiram's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    But the recent statements of ARR on western music and counterpoint and clearly exposing his anxiety. Something in recent years might have disturbed his state of mind and his words clearly showing how far he would go ahead and makes sweeping statements in the context of Indian film music. Totally an unexpected behavior.
    சொல்லிச் சொல்லி ஆறாது சொன்னா துயர் தீராது...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Junior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by venkkiram View Post
    I beg to differ. Raja is indeed acknowledging the talents and that's why he even collaborates with many young talented musicians from Hungary and UK music troupes. I even heard that Raja is the person who recommened Mahesh for Nammavar. I do not know how far this news is true. But remember he is the one who praised VS Narasimhan openly in a stage.

Indeed. He said he - the legend of 950 plus films - was learning jazz from his Hungarian friends. As I said, the media probably dislikes that he doesn't have such stuff to say about ARR or HJ. But as thozhar said, what if he really doesn't find much to say? What exactly has been brought to the table from a conceptual point of view in TFM in last 20 years (except on an IR album)? ARR has given many great songs and there's no doubt he influenced film music in a certain direction in terms of sound and production, but what advances has TFM made during this period? What new scales and modes did they learn to adapt to Tamil music that IR wasn't using? This is a genuine question. I am asking this because I am not aware. Most articles of ARR-analysis I have read are vague and talk about sound production rather than compositional concepts. If somebody can pin it down for me what conceptual growth in TFM is because of ARR, I would be grateful. But from my point of view, he only simplified melodies and harmonies compared to IR. Which is perfectly alright but I can also understand why IR wouldn't feel there is anything for him to acknowledge because he is a musician rather than a film celebrity.
    Last edited by crimson king; 18th October 2013 at 06:11 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rajeshkrv View Post
    I'm not going to pull down anyone stating their ego but overall he has not praised anyone is what i'm trying to say here.. Old saying but always true , you can be a genius but unless you acknowledge other person it's not going to be valued .. IR is the best composer ever but when it comes to acknowledging fellow musician or any other new generation musicians it's a big NO NO.i end my discussion here

As already pointed out, it's not true that he doesn't praise other musicians. Apart from the obviously accomplished Hungarians, he has praised his violinists and flautists several times. There is also a short video where he calls Viji Manuel the best pianist in the country. Praise can't be for the sake of it and I would much rather IR doesn't behave in a sycophantic way even though that might please the public more. If he honestly doesn't feel there is anything to acknowledge, why should he do so for the sake of it? Ask yourself honestly what are the new compositional concepts introduced in last 20 years of TFM? It still falls on IR to try stuff like scale changes within the same stanza (Kalvane) or dissonant interludes (Sattru Munbu), most music directors want to keep it very simple. There's nothing wrong with that, simple music has a commercial appeal but you can't expect a genius like IR to be floored by that.

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    IR is genius musician. There is certainly no comparison with the current breed of Music Directors . If I were in his shoes I would reacted the same way. Why should I artificially praise the current 'junk food' MDs. Let the people enjoy the music and praise them.

When Roja first came out I remember hearing/reading ARR interviews. He had lots of praise for MSV but no mention of IRR(as if IR doesn't exist). It struck me that time as I recalled. As person who grow up in the 80s I fail to understand how until now, he doest explicitly praise IR's work. Only few mentions of songs( like inji idapalaga,,as if that's the only song he recognize IR's talent) and things like IR's discipline here and there. When did u ever hear him say " I love this and that song of IR, they are just brilliant"?

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    I believe IR's standard of appreciating music is very high. that's the reason he would praise MSV's work. and at the same time silent about the current MDs work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chelian View Post
    Only few mentions of songs( like inji idapalaga,,as if that's the only song he recognize IR's talent) and things like IR's discipline here and there. When did u ever hear him say " I love this and that song of IR, they are just brilliant"?
    Well, he did borrow a small phrase from Chinna Thayaval for Kabhi Neem Neem (Yuva) ...forgot the equivalent song name in Ayutha Ezuthu. That apart, he admitted that he didn't really like film music at that time (Roja) so it's not surprising that he has nothing much to say about IR's work. There has also always been an attitude of rivalry between the two rather than camaraderie so that adds to the distance.
    Last edited by crimson king; 19th October 2013 at 06:57 PM.

Junior Member Devoted Hubber rajaramsgi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    KTV's Ayudha Poojai special..

Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also listen to IR talking about the drummer Noel to Sivamani in a video that was posted a couple of monthsback. IR was openly in awe of him as a drummer. I am a no one and even to my ears I dont see ARR's compositions as anything special - so to expect someone like IR with his knowledge to acknowledge that is expecting too much...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rajaramsgi View Post
    KTV's Ayudha Poojai special..

Great interview. Not particularly great 'interviewing' there, but Sundarrajan had a lot to share and engaged IR too in the conversation in the process. Loved the part about the significance of IR scratching his head.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber venkkiram's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes Ck. the one which is still making me crazy about raja is the way all the songs of vaidhegi kaathirunthal been composed without even considering into account any script/scenes. Complete ready made shirts available for your size even before you born. And look at the variety of the tunes. Such contrasts. Azhaku malaraada, kaathirunthu, inraikku enintha, raasave onna, Megam karukkaiyile. This movie can be considered to be part of Guinness record book for this epic achievement. And movie became blockbuster for songs, story, screen play. And still after 25 years, the songs live.
    சொல்லிச் சொல்லி ஆறாது சொன்னா துயர் தீராது...