Page 328 of 401 FirstFirst ... 228278318326327328329330338378 ... LastLast
Results 3,271 to 3,280 of 4002

Thread: Maestro ilaiyaraaja news & titbits

Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by layman10 View Post
    From what you know about Raja so far, can you write few lines about his; belief, outlook, philosophy etc in music as a art form?. You may say why should I care. But without knowing what you know, there is no point answering you. It will lead to no where.
    layman10,
    Can you enlighten us by writing few lines? That would also help me understand how deeper you are into him and whether counter viewpoints will actually be heard or not.
    Thanks,

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Junior Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=brigs;978684]Senthilv.com,

he is a great artist alright, but What makes you think his talent is wasted? Whatever popularity he's got is what he would've got and deservedly so. Let's not blame the audience for nauseating - his music is spontaneous and such distractions might not intervene. If Raja wants to make music for the sake of just music, there are countless other avenues. NEPV is a movie - involves teamwork. Without GVM, it wouldn't have happened. Let's not kid ourselves here - you being a filmmaker, would you not want your music to be commercially hit so you can be profitable? If a core member of a team doesn't care about profitability and operate in a mind of his/her own, you would arrange him/her a royal departure. Raja music is loved by the masses and therefore roped in by the makers for profits. NEPV isn't a art but a commercial film - make no mistake about it.
    QUOTE]

Oh My..Another Raja Bashing

Ok so What are other avenues available for Raja. His how to name it is zillion times better than NEPV but can we compare the sales of both albums.
    Our guys dont even understand what Orchestral music is and Raja has to beg for not whistling when music is played.
    If this is the scenario now what would have been scenario in 70s, 80s, 90s. Most people use to hear music only in tea shops.
    How could he done experimental stuff and taken it to the general audience.

Cinema has carried Raja's songs to general public. Raja has understood that and struck to cinmea. And true to his profession he has not just concentrated on songs but given cinema life with his background score. Atleast South India has completely enjoyed Raja due to cinema. If he had just followed expriemental stuff his reach would have been very limited.

Yes without GVM it would not have happened. Without Sony music it would not happened. Without Raja's car driver it would not have happened.
    Raja's music has been as good if not better in Thandavakone, Azhagarsamiyin Kudhirai, Dhoni, Rama Rajyam in the recent past and just because GVM's movie is of Pop culture everybody have opened their ears and say credit to GVM..Its funny really.
    Raja would do it for GVM, MVG, VGM or any goddamn director. Just that GVM is able to market songs better.

I donno why people are obssessed with team work, Modesty, humility, humbleness. Boring really.I adore raja for speaking his mind. Not trying to hide himself from stupid humility. Its a joy that he is opening up more these days . He has to speak more, write more and come out more. To hell with people who want otherwise.

And for what he has done for us he can talk anything he wants.
    Last edited by balachidam; 14th November 2012 at 11:24 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I welcome ur counter view.

Quote Originally Posted by brigs View Post
    Senthilv.com,

Being a raja fan it must have been really very easy for you to oversee things, so just sharing a counter view to your points....
    Could be. I don't think I'm blind and I don't idolize him. If you have a point, put it forward, we can discuss. I prefer you not make judgements on who I am and what my feelings are towards him.

Self-depreciating????? wow... are we so blindfolded or born just yesterday? You may want to note his hand gesture when saying "will there be a screen without cinema?" - and then he points to himself saying "music(he) is not what you think, its something that can't be marketed...". I can clearly see his head weighing zillion...gazillion tons. Your posts seems to ignore it.
    Already explained my view, he is not talking about himself but about music (not even his music). He is not equating music with himself. Look at the overall point he is making...He doesn't know music, which is self-depreciating anyway you look at it.

he is a great artist alright, but What makes you think his talent is wasted? Whatever popularity he's got is what he would've got and deservedly so. Let's not blame the audience for nauseating - his music is spontaneous and such distractions might not intervene. If Raja wants to make music for the sake of just music, there are countless other avenues.
    He did try all possible avenues. Nothing But Wind, How to Name it, The unreleased Symphony, Thiruvasagam. It is hard to argue the level of seriousness, scope, depth and artistic level of these works. Who knows what was in store in the unreleased symphony? What other kind of works would we have seen if he had opportunity other than routine film music? Also these were his own initiatives, few musicians in India attempted such endeavors.

NEPV is a movie - involves teamwork. Without GVM, it wouldn't have happened. Let's not kid ourselves here - NEPV isn't a art but a commercial film - make no mistake about it.
    Exactly my point. Although he singlehandedly made ppl star, made a film box office success and make us go back to unknown films, watch songs with atrocious picturization etc... It requires a good team or someone with a vision to get good work out of him because they have come with him asking something different. Not the same old stuff. The important point is, his music is loved by the masses, not because they are commercial. Masses are not thinking about making his song hit, they love his music because it is great! By product of that is, you get a hit. But producers are not worried about making great music, they want to make a hit. Don't you see the irony?

Also NEPV music is pretty close to an artful music we will get in an Indian film score!

Let's not kid ourselves here - you being a filmmaker, would you not want your music to be commercially hit so you can be profitable?
    No. Commercial success is not the only criteria. I have rejected commercial stories/offers to pursue a film story I deeply care. Luckily, I have that choice Raja doesn't. He can pick and choose films but cannot initiate the vision of a film. He has to work within the vision (if at all there is one) that is offered to him.

if a core member of a team doesn't care about profitability and operate in a mind of his/her own, you would arrange him/her a royal departure.
    it is a misunderstanding to say he doesn't care about profits and hits. His view is music cannot be sold. Not that, it shouldn't make profit. When our elders wish us, they say, live 100 years with all the happiness, love, prosperity, family life and peace. They don't just say live 100 years. When someone says his music will be hit. It will make super sales like NEPV, without mentioning it's artistic merit, they are wishing you just 100 years. It is superficial, short sighted and exploitative in Raja's case. Raja took the mic to set it straight. His view is counter-view to start with. He didn't interject and give an unnecessary speech.

Thanks,
    Senthil
    Last edited by senthilv.com; 14th November 2012 at 12:17 PM.
    My video blogs on storytelling in Ilayaraja songs --> http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...7EZL2qTp7nmqPH

Senior Member Diamond Hubber sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rajaramsgi View Post
    நான் சொன்னால் என்னிடம் நிறைய பேர் சண்டைக்கு வருவார்கள்.சொல்லாமலும் இருக்க முடியவில்லை. ரெண்டு நாள் வெயிட் பண்ணி தான் இதை இங்கு போஸ்ட் பண்ணுகிறேன். ராஜா சாரிடம் மைக் கொடுக்காமல் இருப்பதே நல்லது. நீங்களே கேளுங்க அவரோட டிராக் எப்படியெல்லாம் போயிட்டு வருகிறதென்று.. அதிலும் அந்த "நான் ஸ்க்ரீன்" மேட்டர் ரொம்ப ஜாஸ்தி. சலிப்பை தருகிறது.

Atleast with Raja, let us be true and real fans of his art only. No need to do character analysis and declare he is white or black.

And we are not ready to see the grey areas too! See rajaramsgi, you feel tired of this kind of talks by raja but there are many speeches where he praises and recognizes younger talents, which you could have easily missed too. So better give no more attention to these things

And also never forget to skip IlayathaLam website and its FB page! See below!
    Ilayathalam
    Updating soon about our website where you can directly interact with Maestro. It will feature 1 hour chat sessions every month with Maestro where he will answer your questions (i.e. if he likes your question) directly.

Last edited by sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar; 14th November 2012 at 02:16 PM.
    Vishwaroopam is a 220+ Crores Record breaking Blockbuster!
    https://twitter.com/KamalHaasanFans

Uttama Villain Reviews Collection - http://goo.gl/MSBVxv

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Screw teamwork / collaboration. Strokes of genius / innovations have never (or rarely) been done through collaboration. Be it Thirukural or Relativity Theory or Four Seasons or Sri Thiyagarajar and many more .....

Teamwork / collaboration in art is for wussies.

Junior Member Newbie Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    what Raja sir saying is "veenaiyin narambil isai varuma'? meetuvathu yaro..

he is just an interface and music flows through himm.. thats all he says.. there is no head wighing here..

thanks
    Kanann

Post Thanks / Like
    http://solvanam.com/?p=22579

தேவனின் கோயில் மூடிய நேரம், நான் என்ன கேட்பேன் தெய்வமே’. அவர் பாட ஆரம்பித்த அந்த நொடியில் என் மனம் கலங்க ஆரம்பித்தது. ஆனால் பாட்டு போகப் போக டீச்சரின் கூச்சம் மறைந்து அந்தப் பாடலுக்குள் மூழ்கிக்கொண்டிருந்தார். முகத்தில் அத்தனை துலக்கம். . ‘நானொரு சோக சுமைதாங்கி’ என்று சரணத்தைத் தொடங்கும் போது குரலில் அத்தனை உருக்கம். தலையைக் குனிந்தவாறே பாடியபடி ’மறந்தாதால்தானே நிம் . . . .மதி’ என்று முடித்துவிட்டு, வலிய வரவழைத்த சிரிப்புடன் நிமிர்ந்தார்

Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by senthilv.com View Post
    I welcome ur counter view.

Could be. I don't think I'm blind and I don't idolize him. If you have a point, put it forward, we can discuss. I prefer you not make judgements on who I am and what my feelings are towards him.

Already explained my view, he is not talking about himself but about music (not even his music). He is not equating music with himself. Look at the overall point he is making...He doesn't know music, which is self-depreciating anyway you look at it.

He did try all possible avenues. Nothing But Wind, How to Name it, The unreleased Symphony, Thiruvasagam. It is hard to argue the level of seriousness, scope, depth and artistic level of these works. Who knows what was in store in the unreleased symphony? What other kind of works would we have seen if he had opportunity other than routine film music? Also these were his own initiatives, few musicians in India attempted such endeavors.

Exactly my point. Although he singlehandedly made ppl star, made a film box office success and make us go back to unknown films, watch songs with atrocious picturization etc... It requires a good team or someone with a vision to get good work out of him because they have come with him asking something different. Not the same old stuff. The important point is, his music is loved by the masses, not because they are commercial. Masses are not thinking about making his song hit, they love his music because it is great! By product of that is, you get a hit. But producers are not worried about making great music, they want to make a hit. Don't you see the irony?

Also NEPV music is pretty close to an artful music we will get in an Indian film score!

No. Commercial success is not the only criteria. I have rejected commercial stories/offers to pursue a film story I deeply care. Luckily, I have that choice Raja doesn't. He can pick and choose films but cannot initiate the vision of a film. He has to work within the vision (if at all there is one) that is offered to him.

it is a misunderstanding to say he doesn't care about profits and hits. His view is music cannot be sold. Not that, it shouldn't make profit. When our elders wish us, they say, live 100 years with all the happiness, love, prosperity, family life and peace. They don't just say live 100 years. When someone says his music will be hit. It will make super sales like NEPV, without mentioning it's artistic merit, they are wishing you just 100 years. It is superficial, short sighted and exploitative in Raja's case. Raja took the mic to set it straight. His view is counter-view to start with. He didn't interject and give an unnecessary speech.

Thanks,
    Senthil
    Passing judgments on you was not my intention, i don't want to side track our views by dwelling too much into your wrongful inference.

Many seem to nod their heads in coherence, clap, whistle, or whatever when he says he doesn't know music. All the notes that he writes, what is it then? Divine intervention anybody, any takers? This isn't self-depreciating. It's called self-boasting, imho. The breathing analogy that IR used in the video posted is ample example. I ain't deluded.

I disagree with many of your views and don't have the time to engage further.

Post Thanks / Like
    Passing judgments on you was not my intention, i don't want to side track our views by dwelling too much into your wrongful inference.

Many seem to nod their heads in coherence, clap, whistle, or whatever when he says he doesn't know music. All the notes that he writes, what is it then? Divine intervention anybody, any takers? This isn't self-depreciating. It's called self-boasting, imho. The breathing analogy that IR used in the video posted is ample example. I ain't deluded.

I disagree with many of your views and don't have the time to engage further.
    Classic cop out. The last time I will ever engage you.
    Last edited by senthilv.com; 15th November 2012 at 10:31 AM.
    My video blogs on storytelling in Ilayaraja songs --> http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...7EZL2qTp7nmqPH

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by K View Post
    http://solvanam.com/?p=22579

தேவனின் கோயில் மூடிய நேரம், நான் என்ன கேட்பேன் தெய்வமே’. அவர் பாட ஆரம்பித்த அந்த நொடியில் என் மனம் கலங்க ஆரம்பித்தது. ஆனால் பாட்டு போகப் போக டீச்சரின் கூச்சம் மறைந்து அந்தப் பாடலுக்குள் மூழ்கிக்கொண்டிருந்தார். முகத்தில் அத்தனை துலக்கம். . ‘நானொரு சோக சுமைதாங்கி’ என்று சரணத்தைத் தொடங்கும் போது குரலில் அத்தனை உருக்கம். தலையைக் குனிந்தவாறே பாடியபடி ’மறந்தாதால்தானே நிம் . . . .மதி’ என்று முடித்துவிட்டு, வலிய வரவழைத்த சிரிப்புடன் நிமிர்ந்தார்

If anyone asks me "What is the most special song out of the 5000+ songs of IR ?" , I would say "Devanin koilil.."

Yes..the most special because of the capacity of this song to grind your heart...Kudos also to director Kumar, actress Pallavi (the director is her husband I think ) etc.

What a song !!!