Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NormalMan View Post
    Who is this person ?

Anyways, IR will simply reject any Rajni projects.

Rumours about "IR in Shivaji" were hot when Shankar attended Bhavatha's wedding and had a handshake with IR..but rumours became just rumours..this one also looks the same...

Senior Member Diamond Hubber SoftSword's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    who is this ursshruthi...
    skv... idam sutti porul vilakkunga...
    Sach is Life..

Junior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by brigs View Post
    Passing judgments on you was not my intention, i don't want to side track our views by dwelling too much into your wrongful inference.

Many seem to nod their heads in coherence, clap, whistle, or whatever when he says he doesn't know music. All the notes that he writes, what is it then? Divine intervention anybody, any takers? This isn't self-depreciating. It's called self-boasting, imho. The breathing analogy that IR used in the video posted is ample example. I ain't deluded.

I disagree with many of your views and don't have the time to engage further.
    Our dreams are all with in our limits of intelligence, but you cannot consciously intervene. It can be like that. I don't agree with every thing Raja says. There are many things I despise, but it is all with in his freedom. But when he talks about music, he has been consistent for years, this line of talk was there all along from 80s.
    Last edited by layman10; 15th November 2012 at 09:59 PM.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber venkkiram's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by raja_fan View Post
    If anyone asks me "What is the most special song out of the 5000+ songs of IR ?" , I would say "Devanin koilil.."

Yes..the most special because of the capacity of this song to grind your heart...Kudos also to director Kumar, actress Pallavi (the director is her husband I think ) etc.

What a song !!!
    தேவனின் கோயில் பாடலை பல முறை கேட்க நேர்ந்தாலும் மனதில் அதை என்றுமே சோக கீதமாக நிலைநிறுத்த முடியவில்லை. ராஜா இசையில் புகழ்பெற்ற சோக கீதங்கள் எல்லாமே பாடல் ஆரம்பித்து முடியும் வரை இசையும், வரிகளும் அந்த உணர்வுகளை தெளித்துக் கொண்டே செல்லக்கூடியவை. பாடல் வரிகள், குரலைத் தவிர.. பாடல் முழுவதும் பின்னணி இசையில் சோக உணர்வுக்கான இசைக் குறிப்புக்களை தேட வேண்டியிருக்கிறது. இரண்டாம் இடையிசை - ராஜாவின் "தந்தன தந்தன" - துள்ளலான பாடலுக்கு அப்படியே வாடகைக்கு விடலாம். "தேவனின் கோயில்" பாடல் - நல்ல மெலடி என்ற நிலையில்தான் இருக்கிறது இன்றும். சுகா எழுதியிருக்கும் உணர்வுகளை என்றுமே நான் எட்டியதில்லை. ஆச்சர்யமாகவும் அதீதமாகவும் தோன்றுகிறது. பாடலையொட்டிய ஒவ்வொரு ரசிகனின் உணர்வுகளும் வெவ்வேறு என கருதிக்கொள்கிறேன். ராஜாவின் இசையில் சோக கேதங்கள் என பட்டியலிட்டால் முதல் நூறு இடங்களில் கூட என்னால் இந்தப் பாடலை அடைக்க முடியாது.
    Last edited by venkkiram; 16th November 2012 at 03:05 AM.
    சொல்லிச் சொல்லி ஆறாது சொன்னா துயர் தீராது...

Junior Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Venki,
    That's because you're looking at it if it was black or white. Neither. It's a fine shade of grey which is a special Raaja genre by itself called "mensogam" (melliya sogam), one that encompasses longing, trepidation, betrayal, dejection and myriad other feelings of the "disappointment to unhappy to sad to devastation" band. "Pathos" at its artistic best. Not explicit in announcing its emotions with a big bang, rather it's a feeling that creeps on you just as the mist envelops the mountaintop on what was a clear sunny day minutes ago. If you didn't understand it from Suka's or Raja_Fan's perspective, you're perhaps cast from a different emotional stone. How does Raaja evoke this? Alchemy, known to the exalted few. Without having to resort to vocal histrionics or obviously emotive instrumentation (which he does when he has go the whole distance or be blatant), it's also so well integrated into the format of a 'nature song' or 'female solo' or a 'romantic duet' that the lay listener can enjoy it for its sheer melodic content even if he/she didn't quite get to the emotional core. Perhaps, it requires something akin to an "Intel Inside" campaign to alert listeners to this very subtle, subliminal range of emotions embedded in the conventional film song format. There are literally hundreds, but let me just leave with 5 examples that are top of mind:

1 Uravugal Thodarkathai (Aval Appadithan)
    2 Alli Thantha Bhoomi (Nandu)
    3 Azhagiya Kanne (Uthiripookkal)
    4 Ye Thendrale (Nenjathai Killathe)
    5 Athikalai Nerame (Meendum Oru Kaathal Kathai)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by venkkiram View Post
    தேவனின் கோயில் பாடலை பல முறை கேட்க நேர்ந்தாலும் மனதில் அதை என்றுமே சோக கீதமாக நிலைநிறுத்த முடியவில்லை. ராஜா இசையில் புகழ்பெற்ற சோக கீதங்கள் எல்லாமே பாடல் ஆரம்பித்து முடியும் வரை இசையும், வரிகளும் அந்த உணர்வுகளை தெளித்துக் கொண்டே செல்லக்கூடியவை. பாடல் வரிகள், குரலைத் தவிர.. பாடல் முழுவதும் பின்னணி இசையில் சோக உணர்வுக்கான இசைக் குறிப்புக்களை தேட வேண்டியிருக்கிறது. இரண்டாம் இடையிசை - ராஜாவின் "தந்தன தந்தன" - துள்ளலான பாடலுக்கு அப்படியே வாடகைக்கு விடலாம். "தேவனின் கோயில்" பாடல் - நல்ல மெலடி என்ற நிலையில்தான் இருக்கிறது இன்றும். சுகா எழுதியிருக்கும் உணர்வுகளை என்றுமே நான் எட்டியதில்லை. ஆச்சர்யமாகவும் அதீதமாகவும் தோன்றுகிறது. பாடலையொட்டிய ஒவ்வொரு ரசிகனின் உணர்வுகளும் வெவ்வேறு என கருதிக்கொள்கிறேன். ராஜாவின் இசையில் சோக கேதங்கள் என பட்டியலிட்டால் முதல் நூறு இடங்களில் கூட என்னால் இந்தப் பாடலை அடைக்க முடியாது.
    You have a very valid reason to feel this way. The beauty of these type of Raja songs is, we can take away what we like or see what we want to see. It is just that, the song has lots of colors in it. What color you are drawn towards depends on your taste and affinity.

This is doesn't mean the song is ambiguous. I haven't seen the film but the situation seems like, our Nayagi is singing about her helplessness of not being able to consummate with her love/lover. Hence feels lonely and wishes for happy times. Raja decides use wishing for better love as a dominant emotion and helplessness/separation as a secondary emotion. So the tune itself is very melancholic but Raja balances it, for the most part with wishful-love-laced beginning, orchestration and ornamentation. In a way, melancholic may be right word rather than sadness. (Anyone know what the actual situation in the film?)

Some melancholic parts in the song.

1. The basslines evokes dejected mood, especially in the pallavi, when all other instruments are very happy and hopeful. The phaser pedal is used to give a lingering feel.
    2. Flute piece in the 1st interlude is melancholic.
    3. Lyrics "naanoru sOga sumai thaangi, thunbam thaangum idi thaangi" is heavily melancholic.
    4. In fact the lyrics is sad but it is Raja's music that adds "wishful" & "love" color to the song.
    5. The orchestra in the saranam is actually sad. Only point where it gets really heavy.
    6. At 1:30 min mark, the guitar piece gives a lovely melancholic touch.
    7. At 2:30 min mark, the orchestra piece in the second interlude clearly melancholic. This is just before "Thanthana.. thana.. nana" piece.

Lastly my fav...

Raja uses a hopeful, wishful shloka type opening to create a prayer wish, sets up the temple mood, before opening with the line "Devanin Kovilil". Also notice that how this shloka opening itself gives so many different colors and moods. Continues this Kovil setting with kovil bells in 1st interlude.

Seems like a straight forward song but Raja is expertly weaving music with different colors and making us feel multitude of emotions.

PS: In case, it is difficult to follow, "Paadava Un Paadalai" from Naan Paadum Paadal is in similar range, similar irony....Happy occasion contrasted by heavy melancholic mood and expressed bit more outwardly. So that may help to relate.
    Last edited by senthilv.com; 17th November 2012 at 06:21 AM.
    My video blogs on storytelling in Ilayaraja songs --> http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...7EZL2qTp7nmqPH

Post Thanks / Like
    Its great to see so many views on Devanin Kovil. Rajas works are like epics allowing the space for so many interpretations.

For me in Devanin kovil what strikes me the most is his audacity to have a hindu chant to start for a christian flavour song and having everything look in order.

I mean can we even think about this? How would you start a christian song?
    With church bell sounds, WCM piece or gregorian style chants..

But when raja starts the song you think its a hindu song and then comes the melting devanin kovil. Particularly "nanenna ketpen deivame" brings that great soulful feel that you get when you are alone in a church.Then the interludes which is a faster rhythm and still he belts down melody.
    Last edited by balachidam; 17th November 2012 at 02:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by suresh View Post
    Without having to resort to vocal histrionics or obviously emotive instrumentation (which he does when he has go the whole distance or be blatant)
    Well said..I think he more often than not unless for obvious reasons does that..His melodies always have a faster time scale.His fast beats always have melodies.He never follows the plain vanilla pattern for his songs..he treats it as an insult to his creativity

Raja is really a rebellious kid at heart. When something is demanded from him his instinct would be to exactly do the opposite.That is why his works are full of surprises and audacious attempts

Junior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Prakash Raj all set to direct his next film which will have music by Ilaiyaraaja: http://www.telugucinema.com/c/publis..._nov162012.php