View Poll Results: Your most favourite song in the album is..?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ennodu vA vA endRu solla mAttEn

34 47.22%
  • sAindhu sAindhu nee pArkum pOdhu adadA

30 41.67%
  • kAtRai konjam niRkach chonnEn

34 47.22%
  • vAnam mella keezhiRangi maNNil vandhu aadudhE

33 45.83%
  • muthal muRai pArtha nyAbagam

43 59.72%
  • satRu munbu pArtha mEgam mARi pOga

38 52.78%
  • pudikkala mAmu padikkaRa college

21 29.17%
  • peNgaL endRAl poiyyA poi dhAnA

21 29.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 229 of 247 FirstFirst ... 129179219227228229230231239 ... LastLast
Results 2,281 to 2,290 of 2469

Thread: Neethane En Ponvasantham | Yeto Vellipoyindhi Manasu | Assi Nabbe Poorey Sau

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    CSR, setting up the mikes for such large number of instruments is very tricky. IR's studio recording were very bad in this respect. This album if recorded in India would not have had this effect. Re: the musicians, I agree with you. These musicians are trained to play the notes of masters all the time. They bring a new standard to playing. I also think they maintain their instruments properly tuned.
    After Guru, TIS and now NEPV, I have stopped comparing (even in my mind) with other Indian MDs. He is practicing a different art from altogether. I wish he gets job in Europe or America writing new works for major Symphony Orchestras. I am not sure how remunerative this will be, but I wish IR accepts/gets such a job for a year or two, at the least.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    At last I found a similarity after repeated hearing Mudhal murai violin interlude....I could match this interlude with the 1st Interlude of Thendralum maaruthu song from Vaalmiki....listen from 1.26, you will find a similar counterpoint melody using violins.......
    I-aRmony!!

Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MelHarmony View Post
    At last I found a similarity after repeated hearing Mudhal murai violin interlude....I could match this interlude with the 1st Interlude of Thendralum maaruthu song from Vaalmiki....listen from 1.26, you will find a similar counterpoint melody using violins.......
    There are several such nostalgic moments (80s, 90s) in most songs. As in the audio release function, someone (can't recall who) thanked IR for bringing back those 80s, 90s composition days. I'm more of an instrumental man, there is no path-breaking instrumental stuff in the album. Although I'm disappointed from that perspective, I enjoy the melodies. Kaatrai Konjum has grown immensely for its simplicity and lasting impact. As IR says that NEPV is a slow poison - this one certainly is.
    Last edited by brigs; 23rd September 2012 at 08:48 AM.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Hulkster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by brigs View Post
    no path-breaking instrumental stuff
    Thalaivar's experimentations are not about bringing in new instruments nor is it creating a new sound, its about the way he orchestrates. His orchestration is so unique, that most new/intermediate listeners feel that it is just old wine in new bottle. But the techniques he uses and the way he effortlessly changes and redefine genres like jazz in the songs and even having the cheek to mix them with some other contradicting genres is the reason why it is path-breaking. Even his "worse" songs will throw a surprise to the most hardened listeners.

The reason why they said it reminds of him his 80s 90s is not because it just sounds nostalgic, but because it was in the 80s and 90s that his orchestration was even more complex than it usually is that you couldn't figure out what he was doing until you had to listen to it about 100 times. This album has that same style of vigour. That is why people term it as vintage and nostalgic because they also cannot figure out what is happening in the orchestration here as well. Everytime a "confusing and can-never-figure-out" orchestrated album comes, they usually brand it as vintage raja

Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulkster View Post
    Thalaivar's experimentations are not about bringing in new instruments nor is it creating a new sound, its about the way he orchestrates. His orchestration is so unique, that most new/intermediate listeners feel that it is just old wine in new bottle. But the techniques he uses and the way he effortlessly changes and redefine genres like jazz in the songs and even having the cheek to mix them with some other contradicting genres is the reason why it is path-breaking. Even his "worse" songs will throw a surprise to the most hardened listeners.

The reason why they said it reminds of him his 80s 90s is not because it just sounds nostalgic, but because it was in the 80s and 90s that his orchestration was even more complex than it usually is that you couldn't figure out what he was doing until you had to listen to it about 100 times. This album has that same style of vigour. That is why people term it as vintage and nostalgic because they also cannot figure out what is happening in the orchestration here as well. Everytime a "confusing and can-never-figure-out" orchestrated album comes, they usually brand it as vintage raja
    If that line of thought keeps you happy/going. I'm perfectly okay with that.

NEPV is not a confusing album by any stretch of imagination. The orchestral complexity you are talking about doesn't appeal enough to today's music lovers, needs more richness - not just simplicity. As a humble "music" lover, I only wish that IR goes a step further with dramatic use of instruments and not measly. Some examples like Clint Mansell "requiem for a dream", Inon Zur - Strickland's March, Jon Brooks, Hans Zimmer, etc... Most recently Achu's "Yaen indha dhideer thiruppam" has been very captivating.

Also, there are no "worse" songs. Each shine its own beauty - whether one is able to discover and adore it depends on their taste
    Last edited by brigs; 23rd September 2012 at 10:53 AM.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber V_S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hulkster,
    Idha vida clear'a express paNNa mudiyaathu. Thank you. We can develop a beautiful story behind his orchestration and every lude. He goes away beyond the tune (main melody) during the interludes taking our imagination beyond this world only to come back in time for the charanams. There are more twists, turns and surprise at every interlude and in every line of the melody (both in terms of tune and orchestration). The dense layer of orchestration in his interludes each can lead to a different story altogether which we can hardly see these capabilities in others.

Even in bringing new sounds and new instruments he is the pioneer. The beauty when he brings new sound is out of his own thoughts. Integrating (and playing) two or more contradicting instruments together brings a new sound. I have written about this many times in Raja Duets thread. I can happily say that the new sounds he is accomplishing is indigenously built by him rather than borrowed. We can see the pain and hardwork in every note he creates. If anyone is talking about instruments (especially live instruments), it can never be other than Maestro. In NEPV, he brought back the lost instruments of Middle ages, Renaissance up to the current new age instruments starting from the forgotten bagpipes, oboe, oboe'damor, bassoon, harp to the classical piano, guitar, violins, cellos, flutes to new age beautiful synths. The highlight of NEPV is how he integrates all these instruments of various periods in one composition and yet feel friendliness among each instruments and also bringing in contemporariness and appeal to every listener of today. If this is not path-breaking, yes I agree, the path is not breaking, instead Maestro expands our path beyond our imagination.

That's why when I say his music is pure, it is pure not just in terms of genres or novelty, it is 100% pure and original from his brain to our ears and souls, no adulteration in between. It takes decades to understand Maestro's music, let's leave them alone who are always stuck with new sounds and instruments when it is right in front of them to identify, when they don't want to see this deliberately.
    Last edited by V_S; 23rd September 2012 at 11:07 AM.

Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulkster View Post

Since we have been listening to the path breaking stuff for more than 3 decades it has matured in our minds (definitely old but no complaints....do we complain about tamil epic/literature simply because it is old...as it grows old, it becomes more valuable....same is the case IR's music....). this orchestration of truly world class and is a difficult art...
    I-aRmony!!

Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by brigs View Post

I only expe.cted a little more dramatic use of instruments from NEPV because I'm so selfish that it could have pleased my taste buds. Everyone has different expectations.... Please don't fret over it.

Everyone has expectations. But IR is not a person who simply shells out world class stuff for ordinary reasons. It was Thiruvasagam that brought out some of his best hidden orchestral capabilities....We cannot compare the requirements of NEPV with TiS because the musical purpose are entirely different. I would say that here in NEPV IR has tried his best and has gone even a bit away from his conscience and has delivered a great album. By no means we can say that "NEPV theme has inspired IR to give such an output", because as he has always said music must be spontaneous...he can give some world class melodies, but decorating with world class orchestration has happened in NEPV simply because of GVM's effort in persuading/convincing IR, offering a foreign orchestra to make it grand.

Dont expect chartbusters from IR always...he is not of that class...some time back K.JYesudas mentioned exactly same about IR..."mere money cannot bring you music out of him".
    I-aRmony!!

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MelHarmony View Post
    Everyone has expectations. But IR is not a person who simply shells out world class stuff for ordinary reasons. It was Thiruvasagam that brought out some of his best hidden orchestral capabilities....We cannot compare the requirements of NEPV with TiS because the musical purpose are entirely different. I would say that here in NEPV IR has tried his best and has gone even a bit away from his conscience and has delivered a great album. By no means we can say that "NEPV theme has inspired IR to give such an output", because as he has always said music must be spontaneous...he can give some world class melodies, but decorating with world class orchestration has happened in NEPV simply because of GVM's effort in persuading/convincing IR, offering a foreign orchestra to make it grand.

Dont expect chartbusters from IR always...he is not of that class...some time back K.JYesudas mentioned exactly same about IR..."mere money cannot bring you music out of him".
    I beg to differ - more than GVM persuading IR (he however did play a role in 'bringing' the best out of IR, as IR himself mentioned during the NEPV audio launch) to come out with great music (i dont know how persuaviness will bring out better music!) - I think, it was GVM (i) giving IR the complete 'liberty' of choosing his own orchestra, (ii) asking for brand new fresh tunes and (iii) a brand new sound - all these 3 things combined that resulted in NEPV

when IR could give some stunning stuff in PAA, Cheeni Kum, SHiva (2006) rehashing his old melodies at the behest of the directors (now they must be ruing/regretting the missed opportunity of getting original fresh masterpieces!), it was only obvious what he was going to come up with, when allowed a free hand with these albums!

the very fact that he agreed to reuse his old tunes and make them 'sound' new in terms of orchestration and treatment is testimony to his flexibility as well as leniency! any other 900 plus movies composer with a 'breath-a-minute-music-note' approach to life, would have likely said 'forget it' if approached for reusing old tunes - I would have gotten frustrated

please read my earlier posting as to what directors approaching IR ought to do - in the future - if they want the best out of him!
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"
    -Robert Frost

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    many ppl just dont understand the classic mindset of any HCIRF ! at least HCIRFs like me begin to listen to any new album of IR with the sole objective of finding faults on the recording, use of synth etc etc areas!

I did the same with NEPV - and i do have issues with at least one song 'pudikkala maamu' - but IRs' greatness appears to lie in anticipating such expectations from fans like me and almost always come up stuff that overrides my natural skepticism! - of course when he is allowed a free hand!

am making this point with reference to the ongoing 'tussle' last few pages!
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"
    -Robert Frost