Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Song No: 29
    Song: Oru Sudar Iru Sudar
    Film: Rajavin Paarvaiyile
    Singers: Janaki, Mano & Chorus
    Lyricist: Vaali
    Link: http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer...4'&lang=en

For a change today I talk about an album which I have innumerable number of times. I have a relative who is a great Raja fan. One day when I visied him he asked me if I have heard 'Rajavin Paarvaiyile'. I replied in the negative and he immediately gave me a tape. He then told me, "In one shop they were selling this at a discounted price of Rs.20/-. I was very pissed by that and so bought the tapes they had. This is an extra copy. Such wonderful music and these morons cannot appreciate it". After I listened to the songs I could understand that his anger was very justified.

It is difficult to select only one song from this. So we will possibly choose another song later. Infact I have had request on twitter for various songs from this movie from VG and Mayil_Senthil. I have chosen this song for no obvious reason, because each song in this movie is so unique that you cannot give a rational explanation for choosing one over the other. All said and done, this is a lovely song. Enjoy it.

The song starts with a lovely chorus of two layers and then the bass kicks in with the synth drums providing the beat. The chorus is very interesting with one set of voices countering the other. Added to it the tune twists and turns and the bass keeps on going. The first interlude is a riot with multiple changes. The bass, strings, shenai which give way to chorus, tabla and which then give way to the WCM strings.

The charanam construction is very interesting. The chorus is so structured as if it is replying to main voice. It also ensures that the interest level is kept very high since the chorus follows a different melody pattern wrt the main melody. Again bass is an important ingredient here, which is used to maintain the high energy level. And then the typical twisting descent to land perfectly on the pallavi.

The second interlude start is a real knockout. First the voice and the guitar join together to give the required 'kick'. Then another set of voices join in but singing a different counter melody. Finally the flute joins in to complete the riot. Amazing stuff in such a short time !! Just check how the voices and the bass guitar imitate each other. Pure madness.

This movie was a washout I think. For people interested in history, this was the only movie in which Vijay and Ajit have acted together. Yet, this movie is known to very few and even fewer know of the songs. I am sure almost all Raja fans know about this movie. In case you haven't heard the songs earlier, do yourself a favour and listen to them know. You can thank me later. (I even love the Vadivel song in this movie. That's an absolute stunner according to me.)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Suresh65, nice song. Sister song of Malai kovil vaasalil

Post Thanks / Like
    Sanjeev,

Sort of yes Raja has given a few such songs.

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sureshs65 View Post
    I am sure almost all Raja fans know about this movie.
    தவறான விடை

நான் கேள்விப்பட்டதே இல்லை ...வீட்டுக்குப்போனதும் இந்தப்பாட்டைக்கேட்கணும்!

Senior Member Veteran Hubber jaiganes's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Song No: 29
    Song: Oru Sudar Iru Sudar
    Film: Rajavin Paarvaiyile
    Singers: Janaki, Mano & Chorus
    Lyricist: Vaali
    Link: http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer...4'&lang=en

For a change today I talk about an album which I have innumerable number of times. I have a relative who is a great Raja fan. One day when I visied him he asked me if I have heard 'Rajavin Paarvaiyile'. I replied in the negative and he immediately gave me a tape. He then told me, "In one shop they were selling this at a discounted price of Rs.20/-. I was very pissed by that and so bought the tapes they had. This is an extra copy. Such wonderful music and these morons cannot appreciate it". After I listened to the songs I could understand that his anger was very justified.

It is difficult to select only one song from this. So we will possibly choose another song later. Infact I have had request on twitter for various songs from this movie from VG and Mayil_Senthil. I have chosen this song for no obvious reason, because each song in this movie is so unique that you cannot give a rational explanation for choosing one over the other. All said and done, this is a lovely song. Enjoy it.

The song starts with a lovely chorus of two layers and then the bass kicks in with the synth drums providing the beat. The chorus is very interesting with one set of voices countering the other. Added to it the tune twists and turns and the bass keeps on going. The first interlude is a riot with multiple changes. The bass, strings, shenai which give way to chorus, tabla and which then give way to the WCM strings.

The charanam construction is very interesting. The chorus is so structured as if it is replying to main voice. It also ensures that the interest level is kept very high since the chorus follows a different melody pattern wrt the main melody. Again bass is an important ingredient here, which is used to maintain the high energy level. And then the typical twisting descent to land perfectly on the pallavi.

The second interlude start is a real knockout. First the voice and the guitar join together to give the required 'kick'. Then another set of voices join in but singing a different counter melody. Finally the flute joins in to complete the riot. Amazing stuff in such a short time !! Just check how the voices and the bass guitar imitate each other. Pure madness.

This movie was a washout I think. For people interested in history, this was the only movie in which Vijay and Ajit have acted together. Yet, this movie is known to very few and even fewer know of the songs. I am sure almost all Raja fans know about this movie. In case you haven't heard the songs earlier, do yourself a favour and listen to them know. You can thank me later. (I even love the Vadivel song in this movie. That's an absolute stunner according to me.)
    Amman kovil ellaame from the same movie is one of arun mozhi's best songs .
    Apparently, a democracy is a place where numerous elections are held at great cost without issues and with interchangeable candidates.
    - Gore Vidal

Post Thanks / Like
    Jai,

Fully agree with you on 'amman koil'. Definitely Arunmozhi's best by a mile.

app,

Please do listen once you are back home

Junior Member Newbie Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    app saar,

Kottunga Kottunga and Ival Yaaro are vintages. Please do listen. Terrific album, terrible movie. Saaba kedu for Raaja and his fans

Junior Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bala,

Fair criticism of the title I agree. Infact the title was kept deliberately for two reasons. One, because there is this myth that with the advent of Rahman, Raja became a non entity and people stopped listening to him. As can be seen from your comments and from P_R's comments earlier, that is not the case. So through this I wanted to get such responses. Second, it will get more eyeballs and more people may come in and have a look. So to put in in Senthil's words, "ellam oru vilambaramdhaan".

You have also hit the right point, which I have been making here. Chennai seems to have been very different from other parts of T Nadu. Chennai people mostly agree with my title but those from other parts of T Nadu have the same opinion as you.

Do keep visiting and letting us know your views on the songs and if you have heard it when it was released.
    Thanks Suresh
    Actually that chennai and other parts of TN is a very important factor.
    What i would refer as the urbanisation of music..

There would be time in Tamil Nadu where Raja's music and few literary works will be the only way to recollect what folk life was like.
    In that area his work is of collosal importance, museum stuff.

I would say Kotta vituu/Raj kiran songs are landmark in folk music. If you carfeully observe Raja's folk music is more serious in his 90s and 00s compared to his 80s folk which is more romantic. That continues till now.

He is the greatest artist in any art form in TN to have brought the folk life to mainstream culture.
    That is why people in other parts of TN relate to his music like anything.
    His impact of music had touched unseen corners..And all this if i look back now i had been noticing unknowingly in my 90s as a kid.

When people here in this kind of forum say they havent heard unnai ethir parthen, poongatrile etc its jaw dropping stuff
    Because even van drivers in my place used to hear these songs again and again.
    Poor guys they cant come online and say it. I always feel south TN van drivers are the greatest Raja fans.
    Between since you are taking about 1995 i guess and raasiya is also 95 right.
    Can you pls also comment on thindukkalu song from Raasiya. (neyar virupam pls)

That is my all time favourite song as a kid.
    This is a song i used to play again and again and people in my home went crazy about it.
    This was brilliant and hilarious and now if I look back what composition.

The prelude where raja opens and the hilarious chorus behind
    The female voice/guitars/shenai is impeccable
    The tabla is as good a work as NEPV Drums
    Genius stuff...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by San_K View Post
    Suresh65, nice song. Sister song of Malai kovil vaasalil
    Some 'oru nALum unai maRavAtha' flavour too

Awesome song!

Definite miss for so many years

Post Thanks / Like
    ok, now I know why this movie didn't even register in my mind even during the SPB-IR exercise...no SPB in the album.

nALaikku utkArndhu all other songs kEkkanum...

Page 58 of 61 FirstFirst ... 8485657585960 ... LastLast