Page 59 of 61 FirstFirst ... 9495758596061 LastLast

Thread: The Unheard Years : Raja in the mid 90s

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bala,

"Poor guys they cant come online and say it. I always feel south TN van drivers are the greatest Raja fans."

Absolutely, Van and bus drivers. I am sure app_eng will fully agree with you. Afterall lot of the SPB songs he wrote about were courtesy the bus drivers down south

I will take up the Rasaiah song soon here.

app,

Do listen to the other songs. Mostly Arunmozhi here but he does a decent job and the melodies are sweet and complex at the same time. Definitely one of my prized tape. I have heard it so many times that it is now in bad shape and drags.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Suresh65, I have read in one of the forums that Oru sudar tune was given first for Malaikovil vasalil situation and rejected by the director. It was then used for Rajavin Parvayile.

Post Thanks / Like
    crv,

Thanks for the info.

Senior Member Senior Hubber Devaraagam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sureshs65 View Post
    Song No: 28
    Song: Kottum Melangal
    Film: Makkal Aatchi
    Singers: Chitra
    Lyricist: Muthulingam
    Link: http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer...0'&lang=en

First NEPV, then work and then non functioning broadband kept me away from continuing this. But this series is close to my heart so I cannot give a big break. Given the tight situation on the professional front, I will probably be doing two writeups per week. I guess that will give people enough time to digest the songs and the writeup.

This song was a request from a friend called Sridhar, on twitter, @maya_twit. A very ardent Raja fan, he asked me to consider this song. As usual, this was the first time hearing for me. People can tell if this song was popular. This is one of those 'almost' Malayalam songs I would say. A soft and slow melody but with some very attractive rhythm. Chitra has sung many such songs for Raja and she does a class job. Songs like 'Shivamallipoove', 'Sitagathi Penoruthi', 'virahamay vipalamayi' come to mind.

The song starts with what sounds like a tribal beat and with women chorus before Chitra joins in with the Madhyamavathi based tune. And what a pallavi he constructs. Seeming simple but so charming, especially when she goes, 'poon kuruvi' and the female chorus joins her. The whole tune is like someone caressing you with a feather. The first interlude is typical Raja. The flute and violins playing counter to each other with the bass joining in.

The charanam is another master stroke. Raja keeps the rhythm instruments aside and lets only the bass and violins provide the rhythm. Very surprising given the high emphasis on the rhythm aspect in the pallavi. Only he can think this way. The way the melody moves with the female chorus joining in mildly is again typical Raja as is the way he joins back to the pallavi. The second interlude goes a step above the first one, with the bass playing a prominent part and the strings playing the countermelody.

An excellent song which showcases Raja's grip on the Indian raga as well as his grip on WCM. Ofcourse we can say this for many of his songs
    Suresh,

you surprised me by posting this song because even I did not give attention to this song as I am saying I am 90's generation. I heard kathavukku, ippothenna, naadu irukura then melloor maaman becasue it was played lot of times in sun tv during those days. I dont know how did I miss this song

Today I had listened this song many time and got inside into me because it was too fresh for me.

I liked the rythm pattern used in this as need some more repeat to feel the song.
    Music Unities Everyone

Senior Member Senior Hubber Devaraagam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Song No: 29
    Song: Oru Sudar Iru Sudar
    Film: Rajavin Paarvaiyile
    Singers: Janaki, Mano & Chorus
    Lyricist: Vaali
    Link: http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer...4'&lang=en

For a change today I talk about an album which I have innumerable number of times. I have a relative who is a great Raja fan. One day when I visied him he asked me if I have heard 'Rajavin Paarvaiyile'. I replied in the negative and he immediately gave me a tape. He then told me, "In one shop they were selling this at a discounted price of Rs.20/-. I was very pissed by that and so bought the tapes they had. This is an extra copy. Such wonderful music and these morons cannot appreciate it". After I listened to the songs I could understand that his anger was very justified.

It is difficult to select only one song from this. So we will possibly choose another song later. Infact I have had request on twitter for various songs from this movie from VG and Mayil_Senthil. I have chosen this song for no obvious reason, because each song in this movie is so unique that you cannot give a rational explanation for choosing one over the other. All said and done, this is a lovely song. Enjoy it.

The song starts with a lovely chorus of two layers and then the bass kicks in with the synth drums providing the beat. The chorus is very interesting with one set of voices countering the other. Added to it the tune twists and turns and the bass keeps on going. The first interlude is a riot with multiple changes. The bass, strings, shenai which give way to chorus, tabla and which then give way to the WCM strings.

The charanam construction is very interesting. The chorus is so structured as if it is replying to main voice. It also ensures that the interest level is kept very high since the chorus follows a different melody pattern wrt the main melody. Again bass is an important ingredient here, which is used to maintain the high energy level. And then the typical twisting descent to land perfectly on the pallavi.

The second interlude start is a real knockout. First the voice and the guitar join together to give the required 'kick'. Then another set of voices join in but singing a different counter melody. Finally the flute joins in to complete the riot. Amazing stuff in such a short time !! Just check how the voices and the bass guitar imitate each other. Pure madness.

This movie was a washout I think. For people interested in history, this was the only movie in which Vijay and Ajit have acted together. Yet, this movie is known to very few and even fewer know of the songs. I am sure almost all Raja fans know about this movie. In case you haven't heard the songs earlier, do yourself a favour and listen to them know. You can thank me later. (I even love the Vadivel song in this movie. That's an absolute stunner according to me.)
    This Song is more or less same pattern of veera song.

even though this movie got many good songs, only this song aired many times and I am sure most the people does not aware of the songs available in this movie.
    TH5S S6NG
    Music Unities Everyone

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Song No: 18
    Song: Aasai Idhayam
    Film: Kanmani
    Singers: Janaki, Malaysia Vasudevan
    Lyrics: Vaali
    Link: http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer...0'&lang=en

(Thanks to Rajesh for providing lyricist info.) I hope no one says that this was also a hit I found out from twitter that the ' netru vandha katru' song was composed by Karthik Raja and he later used it in the Hindi film, 'Grahan'. So I am not taking that song as Raja's.

This song has a tribal beat and at the same time is a very peaceful song. The beat is also out of sync with the tune but as in all Raja songs nothing is out of sync !!! The singing by Malaysia and Janaki is upto their usual level. What I find surprising in these years is that Malaysia was seen less in Raja's songs. Especially when there were folks songs which he must have sung but instead went to Arunmozhi. His voice in this song is still good. The first interlude has a lovely piano backing for the folk flute. The charanam as usual is very melodious. The second interlude is outstanding, especially the first part of it. What a concept, especially the piano strains.

Don't know much about the movie. Hoping our regulars like Rajesh, DR and co will provide the details. Was it released? Did it run etc?
    At the time of the movie release, "Udal thazhuva thazhuva " was my top pick from "KaNmaNi despite inadequate singing and the rest being "Asai idhayam" and "Netru vanha kaatru",in that order."Oh Deva deviye" was ruled out due to its dangerous resemblance to "Devadhai iLam devi". But recently when I heard it again, it is infact a different beast altogether with beauutiful choral layers and an interesting theme- swarna spilling venom, SPB on pathos and minmini as the soothing , comforting lover.

Asai idhayam" not the regular romantic melody. Has a kind of eerie, unsteady and uneasy feel written over it. No idea of the song situation . The nammering beats signify some kind of doom. May be one of the lovers is dead

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    dear Suresh
    Could you pls discuss Kathumkadal from kattumarakaaran , such a nice melody which unfortunately got lost in a trash movie .
    Also alai meedhu from kaadhal kavidhai , bhavatharini voice aiyum meeri adhu oru nallu paatu endru ninaikiren.
    Regards
    Mahesh

Post Thanks / Like
    Mahesh,

Thanks for the reco. Will play them soon. The Kadhal Kavidhai song we will discuss in the year it was released.

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Suresh - Thanks for Oru Sudar Iru Sudar, beautiful song, haven't heard it much before and even though it bears some resemblance to Malai Kovil Vaasalil it's still has a unique flavor to it, can't say what, need to listen more. BTW, I love Ival Yaaro from the same movie and I think this was the most popular song in terms of TV time.

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Suresh , another song konji pesu from kadhal kavidhai is also very good song.