Page 60 of 61 FirstFirst ... 105058596061 LastLast

Thread: The Unheard Years : Raja in the mid 90s

Junior Member Newbie Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is my most favorite song of Raajavin Paarvaiyil:

A true masterpiece on which Violin Vicky has written a detailed piece here:

http://raagadevan.blogspot.com/2008/...-glyphics.html

Have to plug it in here to make sure everyone listens to the song and reads this. Nature of the genius described so wonderfully here.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Senior Hubber Devaraagam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    kottunga kummi song became fav to me very late. Most of the people knows about this song
    Music Unities Everyone

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    VG,

Thanks for the youtube and Vicky's link. That's a nice idea actually. People can read Vicky's wonderful explanation and also enjoy the song. It also ensures we don't miss this song. And importantly I don't need to write in detail about the song

Post Thanks / Like
    Song No: 30
    Song: Love Pannidathaan
    Film: Chinna Vadiyar
    Singers: SPB, Chitra
    Lyricist: Vaali
    Link: http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer...2'&lang=en

The popular song from this movie was 'Kanmaniye Kanmaniye' but I thought it was spoiled by the constant stream of dialogs. I mean, a bit of dialog is OK but for every line it gets a bit tedious. The tune per se was good but that 'dialog' diminished the experience.

Today we will hear a song which seems to be in a very different genre. Is it somewhat connected to Spanish music or some other music? I am not too good at world music genres so someone who knows the details can enlighten us.

The song starts with an accordion / harmonium type of sound being played by the synthesizer. The tune is so very different from the normal songs we hear and there is a clear influence of some other world genre. The accordion type of sound accompanies the pallavi all along and so does the bass. The first interlude is a lovely play between the strings and the bass with a synthesized (?) flute entering in once a while. The charanams have some finger snapping for rhythm, which accentuate the standard rhythm being played.

The second interlude is again driven only by the rhythm, chorus and the accordion sound. The charanam is so very well constructed with a very long twist before joining the pallavi. Just check how long that descent happens in Chitra's voice in the second charanam to know the complex way he has constructed the charanam. Here the seemingly simple song changes shape to a complex one.

SPB is in his elements here. Given that this songs asks for a lot of 'voice acting' from him, he enjoys himself thoroughly. Chitra is also up to the task and it is a delight to hear both of them in full form. And that enhances the enjoyment of the song. I would file this song under the 'experiement' category of Raja.
    Last edited by Sureshs65; 10th October 2012 at 12:51 PM.

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice song. It reminds me of some old Chandrababu song. Is SPB trying to imitate his style here?

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Beautiful song , first time hear for me and i thoroughly enjoyed it ..
    Maestro has showcased Tisra Nadai in so many different ways throughout the composition ..

Senior Member Senior Hubber Devaraagam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Suresh, love pannidathan is truly an unheard number by many. Best delivery by trio of IR, SPB, KSC
    Music Unities Everyone

Junior Member Newbie Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Super find! Also, Raaja did try rap as early as 1986. Anithamani Vanamohini from Vikram started with what I'd call a rap. Certainly Raaja introduced rap before Rahman made it resonate everywhere in TN. That said, what a song this is! Especially that cue of "machaanguraan, aaonguraan".

Post Thanks / Like
    I deleted the Song No. 31 because there is confusion as to who the music director is. I came to know from Twitter that 'Thaikulame Thaikulame' is actually by Deva. I had gone by Thiraipaadal but a couple of other web sites point to Deva. My opinion of the song remains the same, that it is a very nice and different rap song but since it is probably not by Raja, I am taking it off this thread.

My apologies for the confusion. I will need to recheck on the actual credits given in thiraipaadal.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber svaisn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    a question.... Was unakkum enakkum anandham... Song picturized in sri raghavendra ????
    Karthik -Happy Illa

Page 60 of 61 FirstFirst ... 105058596061 LastLast