Page 61 of 61 FirstFirst ... 1151596061

Thread: The Unheard Years : Raja in the mid 90s

Junior Member Newbie Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by svaisn View Post
    a question.... Was unakkum enakkum anandham... Song picturized in sri raghavendra ????
    No it was not. Interestingly, it was used by black eyed peas who remixed it for their elephunk theme.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Song No: 31
    Song: Arumbu Thalire
    Film: Chandralekha
    Singers: Arunmozhi, Geetha
    Lyricist: Vaali
    Link: http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer...0'&lang=en

Today I want to take up a song which shows that Raja was slowly adjusting to the changing times. This film music had decent amount of synthesizer and also had 'new' singers. It has Preeti Uttam Singh and Unni Krishnan. I am not sure which was the very first movie that Unni sang for Raja but I am sure this is one of those early films he sang for Raja. As we know, Unni got his major break through Rahman and 'ennavale' and then sang more songs for Rahman. The version we will listen to first will not feature Unnikrishnan. Another version will feature him. We will listen to that as well.

The song 'Allah Un Aanipadi' used to be played on TV in those days but all of us listening felt that the synth usage in that song was not upto the standards that Rahman had set. So while the song did get some decent airing, it did not become a super hit. 'Arumbu Thalire' was initially not heard much but later became a favorite amongst Raja fans. Still many fans feel that the synth usage and the choice of voices bring down the experience of this song. While I can understand their sentiments, I personally love this song a lot.

We get some synth effects right at the beginning of the song and then we have a very nice melody being played as the prelude. The pallavi is as melodious as it gets, with the synthesizer and violins providing the backing. This will easily go into the 'peaceful' Raja genre See how softly he tunes 'poradum uyire' and the way the violins play the counter melody. The whole pallavi is a lesson in how to set the counter melodies for a song.

The first interlude has some guitar work, followed by the flute but overall it doesn't flight like the Raja interludes. It is short and the synthesizer plays a key role in this. The charanam is typical Raja. He eschews the rhythm instruments and gives the rhythm through the bass guitar (synth?) and the violins. The charanam is his usual complex melody. The second interlude is interesting. Again this is driven more by the synthesizer. Towards the end, when the pallavi is played they are some piano runs. Overall an excellent melody. As I said earlier you can see that Raja is experimenting with the synth here. (V_S left a comment in my blog saying that the female singer was Geetha. Anyone has any idea about her?)

I had heard only this version for a long time. Then as I was listening to the songs for writing this series, I had two more shorter versions of the same song. Here is the first one:

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer...1'&lang=en

Observe how different the orchestration is here. Some lovely keyboard work to follow the song. The highlight is the tune.

Now hear the third version. I was stunned when I heard this. For the percussion is completely different here and that changes the emotional content of the song significantly. If the first and second versions make us feel happy, this one leaves you with a lump in the throat. The same song, almost the same pace and yet differing emotions. How is it possible for this man? Maybe some day he will explain to us. I am in love with this version.

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer...3'&lang=en
    Last edited by Sureshs65; 15th October 2012 at 08:23 AM.

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Suresh, even though you mention synth every breath I remember this song as a very good orchestral arrangement work. It has some Enya'esque style synth usage (hear those artificial injected sibilant sounds -shhhh.. dont know the correct technical term), probably courtesy of Karthik Raja.

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    arumbum thaLirE - pallaviyil pallaikkadichchukkittu indha singers-ai sahikkalAm.

saraNam varumbOthu...mudeela

What a lovely song - kiLiyai vaLarththu...

Post Thanks / Like
    kiru,

Ah yes. The orchestra is definitely good but in movies like this, the synth was being 'heard' more prominently. Raja had ofcourse synth from the 80s itself but here it was in a different way and hence that sort of hits you when you listen to the song.

app,

When I mentioned that many Raja fans are not happy with the voices, I had you in mind Somehow until it is unbearable I can do with mediocre voice. Mano, Arunmozhi, Bhavatharini etc. I can understand why people are not happy and sometimes cannot stand their voices, but for me that has never stopped the enjoyment of the music

Post Thanks / Like
    Sureshji,
    Like I mentioned once before - there are songs where at least one great singer compensates for the not-so-great-companion (EdhO mOgam EdhO dhAgam) and the greatness is retained.

And in others, the background orch is phenomenal that mind switches off the singer part (kARRaikkonjam niRkachchonnEn).

'arumbum thaLirE' does not belong to either of these groups, IMHO.

Great melody but sumAr orchestration overall, adhilum the most difficult section for me in the saraNams are where rAsA almost switches off instruments and let the singer alone, to completely bare their inadequacy...

BTW, I have never heard the tablA version before, which is much superior (compared to the man-woman duet)...

Post Thanks / Like
    app,

True. I too love that tabla version a lot. Lot of emotion in that.

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by app_engine View Post
    Great melody but sumAr orchestration overall, adhilum the most difficult section for me in the saraNams are where rAsA almost switches off instruments and let the singer alone, to completely bare their inadequacy..
    I think that was not the intention The last line is pretty bare just with a few bass plucks mainly to contrast with the onrush of the string section in the pallavi.
    These sort of songs - low and high end of the scales are better sung by highly trained singers. No wonder, UnniK makes a difference in the tabla version.
    In general, I have a weakness for the orchestra that I am able to ignore mediocre singing and synths and enjoy. Another synth song, that all of us love that way is - thenRal vanthu theendum pOthu.
    BTW, the same synth instruments and phrases are used in the JaganMohini songs, more fast-paced and recorded at a higher volume level than here for the instruments, making it sound "thin".

Try listening here - http://www.hummaa.com/music/album/chandralekha/37249
    Last edited by kiru; 16th October 2012 at 11:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kiru View Post
    I think that was not the intention

kuRumbu!

Page 61 of 61 FirstFirst ... 1151596061