Thread: The 1950s and 1960s

Threaded View

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Querida's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Am glad I finally found a thread where others appreciate music from these time periods

Watched "Policekaran Magal"

A number of firsts for me
    first movie with Chandrababu I saw, was a delight to see him and Manorama
    especially during their "Poranthalum" duet...too cute, their expressions and the lyrics...I feel nowadays that I've stopped paying attention to lyrics, they seem repetitive or seem to collect pleasant sounding/situation appropriate words and put them in order...of course there (Thank goodness) many exceptions to this!!

first duet I saw that it was sis/bro even in sad verison

Overall came out thinking what a wretched character that Balaji had to play
    everyone seemed so damn helpless especially Vijyakumari and of course the overly weak nature attributed to females, their overpowering sorrows and due fatal illness...haha cynicism much?

But the songs

"Pon Enbane Siru Poo Enbane"...PBS's voice is so deep and melodious, such a haunting quality to it...Janaki's voice timid and modest...beautiful! I liked how their perspective views of their marriage were pictured, with religious figures for Vijayakumari while for Balaji, he only imagines said heroine in various outfits...saree,stylish salwar,skirt and blouse.

"Indha Mandrathil" song is even in the sad version very lilting and sweet...inextinguishable in its optimistic sounding..would be an injustice to not mention how wonderful P.Susheela is!

The major pathos song "Kannale Neer Etharku" I feel the poignant lyrics totally overtook the song, in a good way though.

Maybe because it was a tv movie...missed the popular" Nilaavukku En Mel Enaadi Kovam" a fave of mine ...knew this song long before...bgm flute has the perfect sprightly touch

http://www.raaga.com/channels/tamil/...p?mid=T0001774
    Last edited by Querida; 17th March 2011 at 04:23 AM.