Page 377 of 401 FirstFirst ... 277327367375376377378379387 ... LastLast
Results 3,761 to 3,770 of 4002

Thread: Maestro ilaiyaraaja news & titbits

Junior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Raja is humble. Everytime he speaks about MSV, he puts him in a pedestal ("adhara sruthi") and sometimes even goes to the extent of lowering himself ("echil"). He doesn't need to do that and he doesn't need to be humble either but it is his choice. Humility is not a must-have quality, it is probably a nice-to-have. The world knows he is a genius. There will always be some "vaitherichal" parties that want to talk nonsense about the great man and try to drag him to the level of lesser mortals like themselves.

He has his share of needless talks ("ella pugazhum iraivanukke", "computer munnal thoongi vazhibavargal") which he could have avoided. However, sometimes these interviewers try to get words out of his mouth too. Like that one who questioned him about what he thinks of Rahman winning the Padma Bhushan and he replied, visibly upset, "why should I care about him? I care about myself". You can hardly blame him for that.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Junior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rprasad View Post
    If people in the media think humility means giving nice interviews and giving politically correct answers to any question and talking about how one has done something special in his music, then IR definitely lacks in that. Everyone shows their humility differently. Some always respect the past and talk about it, while some like to focus just on the current and future and don't really want to bring up the past greats.

I think people in the media expect him to say nice things about the new composers which he doesn't. But that is not necessarily arrogance. If people would truly appreciate his contribution in MUSICAL (rather than only commercial) terms to tamil music, they would realise that that is not really so odd. And I wonder if the same people, if they are seniors in an organisation, would bow down to a rookie and say, "Son, you are far more talented than me, you are more deserving." When their ego gets in the way even within their relatively small sphere of achievements (compared to Ilayaraja), it is hypocritical to DEMAND saintliness from a person who is mainly a music composer.

Senior Member Senior Hubber rajeshkrv's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crimson king View Post
    I think people in the media expect him to say nice things about the new composers which he doesn't. But that is not necessarily arrogance. If people would truly appreciate his contribution in MUSICAL (rather than only commercial) terms to tamil music, they would realise that that is not really so odd. And I wonder if the same people, if they are seniors in an organisation, would bow down to a rookie and say, "Son, you are far more talented than me, you are more deserving." When their ego gets in the way even within their relatively small sphere of achievements (compared to Ilayaraja), it is hypocritical to DEMAND saintliness from a person who is mainly a music composer.
    you cant blindly say that .. whenever MSV talks about IR he says "ilayaraja oru gnanasthan" and have always praised IR's musical capabalities... but i havent seen IR talking about anybody(those who came after him) including ARR(vaguely remember in ARR appreciation he spoke about aanmegam etc )

Post Thanks / Like
    Because IR has indeed expanded the scope of film music composition beyond where it was in MSV's days. A R Rahman has contributed immensely to music production but I fail to see what he has added to composition. Has he developed counterpoint in more intricate ways than IR, for instance? ARR is a great composer but I am not convinced how exactly he is a greater composer than IR purely in terms of the music (and leaving aside awards). If people want to buy the hype, they may. I am not going to. IR can win some PR points if he is nice to ARR but he's not obliged to.

Post Thanks / Like
    Besides, I didn't ask about MSV, I asked about people in general. Please answer the question honestly. MSV may be magnanimous and gracious, doesn't mean everybody is and most people aren't that gracious. If somebody like Bappi Lahri were in IR's place, I can't imagine what he would say if he already thinks he was the ultimate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Besides, I didn't ask about MSV, I asked about people in general. Please answer the question honestly. MSV may be magnanimous and gracious, doesn't mean everybody is and most people aren't that gracious. If somebody like Bappi Lahri were in IR's place, I can't imagine what he would say if he already thinks he was the ultimate.
    We all agree that IR is a genius composer. No second thoughts about it but when it comes to his EGO yes he had a BIG one.. Look at all the rifts he had.. Not just with one person.. including his own friend Bharathiraja, VM etc... Secondly MSV is magnanimous agreed, IR can be like that too not daily but once in a while he could have talked about someone he really liked or some composition he really enjoyed.. I've never seen anything like that.. ARR came and definitely had an impact on TFM. I'm not starting another IR-ARR clash here because i like them both, enjoyed both of their songs..Havent seen IR talking about anyone at all (his colleagues or next generation guys )... MSV was not only magnanimous about IR, even when he was at his peak when Vkumar called him for a song in velli vizha without any hesitation agreed.. VKUMAR was then a very small composer compared to MSV himself..

Post Thanks / Like
    The point is there is no compulsion on anyone to be magnanimous. And if there is, then I would like to see evidence in day to day behaviour of people who expect magnanimity from famous people. Most people who get a cabin quickly develop big egos so I find it deeply ironic that some of these same people want to comment on the ego of a genius like Ilayaraja. Sure, he has an ego. And I am not surprised because people with far less achievements than him have an ego, whether or not they reveal it in public. But if it makes you feel good to complain about his ego and pull him down a notch, please go straight ahead.

And as for saying he really liked somebody's work, he had a lot of praise for both Balki and Amitabh Bachchan in the Paa launch and urged filmmakers to make films with a message. Now, you can claim that this is simply "you scratch my back and I scratch yours" stuff but how is that any different from what everybody else in the industry does?

Post Thanks / Like
    The point is there is no compulsion on anyone to be magnanimous. And if there is, then I would like to see evidence in day to day behaviour of people who expect magnanimity from famous people. Most people who get a cabin quickly develop big egos so I find it deeply ironic that some of these same people want to comment on the ego of a genius like Ilayaraja. Sure, he has an ego. And I am not surprised because people with far less achievements than him have an ego, whether or not they reveal it in public. But if it makes you feel good to complain about his ego and pull him down a notch, please go straight ahead.

And as for saying he really liked somebody's work, he had a lot of praise for both Balki and Amitabh Bachchan in the Paa launch and urged filmmakers to make films with a message. Now, you can claim that this is simply "you scratch my back and I scratch yours" stuff but how is that any different from what everybody else in the industry does?
    I'm not going to pull down anyone stating their ego but overall he has not praised anyone is what i'm trying to say here.. Old saying but always true , you can be a genius but unless you acknowledge other person it's not going to be valued .. IR is the best composer ever but when it comes to acknowledging fellow musician or any other new generation musicians it's a big NO NO.i end my discussion here

Junior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    "you can be a genius but unless you acknowledge other person it's not going to be valued "

Why not? Genius is genius. Raja is acknowledged as a genius by everyone. Even if a small minority doesn't, it makes no difference.

I am a hard-core Rahman fan and I don't have any problem with Raja not praising him sky high. adhu avar ishtam. If he thinks that Rahman's music is not all that great, that is perfectly alright with me. I, like many Rahman fans, love Rahman's music. I don't know about any intricate counterpoints that he has used but I like it and that is all that matters to me. If someone doesn't, it is fine. Now, why bring ego into this? If Raja doesn't like it and still praises Rahman's music, that would be dishonesty. It is hard to imagine someone of Raja's stature being dishonest especially when it comes to music.

And, it is not like Raja hasn't said anything nice about Rahman - "adhara sruthi, panjamam, sadjamam" ippadi ellam pesi irukkareppa. appuram enna? That is perfectly fine. People are upset that he didn't talk in detail about his musical abilities. It is entirely possible that Raja may not have heard much of Rahman's music and was praising him for his achievements.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber venkkiram's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rajeshkrv View Post
    I'm not going to pull down anyone stating their ego but overall he has not praised anyone is what i'm trying to say here.. Old saying but always true , you can be a genius but unless you acknowledge other person it's not going to be valued .. IR is the best composer ever but when it comes to acknowledging fellow musician or any other new generation musicians it's a big NO NO.i end my discussion here
    I beg to differ. Raja is indeed acknowledging the talents and that's why he even collaborates with many young talented musicians from Hungary and UK music troupes. I even heard that Raja is the person who recommened Mahesh for Nammavar. I do not know how far this news is true. But remember he is the one who praised VS Narasimhan openly in a stage.
    சொல்லிச் சொல்லி ஆறாது சொன்னா துயர் தீராது...