Thread: Why I Consider IR Unparalleled

Threaded View

Junior Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Venkiram and Gopal S
    Here is my take on the above comments.
    while each individual in the hub has the right to air their views, let us appreciate Gopal for the same.
    Just to re-iterate some incidents of the past to show the supremacy and the respect he commands with music fraternity.

Salida once visited Raja's recording during late seventies when he himself was super busy in Malayalam cinema composing back to back hits. Was curious to see how raja performed all the majic from his recording room and went back delighted and satisfied. Raja was doing 35 to 40 movies those days and in Telugu and Malayam included. each and every straight album and dubbed versions were being received whole heartedly by the south population.
    RDB was very eager to visit Raja and when he did on few occasions has heaped praises on the genius in the making at that time.
    Even during the Non Media frenzy and PTI (Press) days when only Hindi movies and Music got higher quota and coverage both on radio and national dailies,the likes of Naushad and SDB knew Raja and his forte of composing style and had limited interaction with MSV (Ramamoorthy not in this association).
    GKV who composed for more than 400 Kannada and few Telugu and tamil movies remained with Raja during his last years as a mark of trust and respect for the genius who once was his guru and teacher. (Guruvai Minjiya Sishiyan!!!) Very rare honour with this one.
    Malayalam composers/ MDs Isaac K, Jayachandran, Jassie Gift, and the recent guys Idolise Raja and for his creative genius.
    Telugu MDs (Not composers), Keeravani (MM), Koti (Guitarist), DSP have great reverence and DSP idolizes openly. Kamalji openly admitted in one occasion that wherever he went with other MDs he found that Raja was a demi-god for all and he also lamented saying if such people existed and lived in contemporary world then he would consider becoming "Theist" (he truly said this)
    Kannada Music fraternity, Sadhu Kokila, Lyricist turned MD (forgot his name) Idolize Raja. Not to mention the new crop of MDs coming out each day.
    In short none of the above mentioned talents have acknowledged any other MDs across the Indian Music Industry , forget about who the actual composer is???

The real discussion should be to define clearly the distinction between "Composer" and "Music director/conductor and Arrangements"
    I laugh big time when media and press call the likes of D Imman, Anirudh R and several hundreds as composers??
    Some body who has grand keyboards, few synthesizers, Recording console and 200 sq feet of space/room churning out damn loops and straight lifts from western and latino albums are named composers. Let us take some effort to correct them.

MSV is a composer in his own right , but would leave arrangement and conducting the orchestra to Joseph-Krishna duo and TKR the Violinist during his hay days.
    ARR- I had the opportunity to see how casual and with trial and error ARR plays his notes on the Piano and key board and with the help of Guitarist and few others creates a sound design and pattern. The lead singer in one case did all the initial sangathis and got the Pallavi aligned with the mood of the protagonist and character.

With maestro you will seldom see his pallavi or motif being changed by any one?
    One classic example is SPB whenever he sings for ARR I see the tune/ scale changes and sound designing is repetitive. I presume SPB takes over and completes the task within a day if not few hours of his call sheet??? He wont wait for several days to complete the recording ???

For Gopal , if he had a chance to see or hear various interviews and celebrities from neighboring music fraternity hail raja and his genius then he may probably re consider some part for admission.

I was 4 1/2 years old when raja entered and stormed tfm and I listened to MSV, Satyam, RN, GKV for several years on Radio (Trichy, Chennai and Ilangai (Ceylon) radio for several hours each day. Non of their instrumentation or chorus arrangements and Jeevan in the songs could attract me. I used to hum several numbers at the same time and on repetitive mode as a kid and that was a rare idea and gimmick that I performed . My siblings , neighbors (other language speaking folks) enjoyed all of it with fun and frolic.
    For a Man to compose and orchestrate (I presume at least 4000 out of his 4500+ original songs) and not to Ignore OST/BGM for well over 1000 movies (including dubbed/remakes) , nobody on earth could achieve that feat in India . Let alone westerners / European composers who accomplish only 20 or 30 albums and contributions in their life span.

So what are we talking and whom are we comparing folks?

I have several other facts and interesting anecdotes that I have read and heard from various sources and since 1969 when Raja was with GKV and Gopal will be blown away with those facets of Raja.
    if there is someone who can record 2 songs (both hits) after they are released and also perform a few hours of RR (BGM) for another film and work approx 14 hours in one day??? lets just take this for granted ....
    I don't see any one in today's world that can even think of such feat?

I am not going into his personal side as that is more enchanting and un believable (the living saamiyar) has the industry called him for some time.

He is not a musician who grows long hair , changes his appearance for media, Not a stage performer, makes big bucks with a few hundred branding and endorsements etc etc.

Any day he is a rare phenomenon and that will surprise his own siblings and his immediate family.

MSB

2. Thanks mappi thanked for this post
    Likes Russellhaj liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement