mom : a ar rahman musical

Mom, starring Sridevi, is an intense play. The dramatization of the incident - sex shoved with violence and then - violence provoked after the sexual act - are visually balanced between bloodshed and sentiment. What attracted me to watch the film is AR Rahman.

There is a virtual industry producing emotions inside. How would it be like to gain access into the corner of this factory, where a collection of all those ugly emotional break downs like anger, agony, shock, etc., resides. Inside this manufacturing den, a continuous chant echoes – a voice reciting the words of despair.

Siting in a corner of this haunted plant is a manual for retribution.

'I cannot be present everywhere, so I created Mom', the front page of the manual reads the author's note signed by God.

The instructions continue right away, "Not all is visible; few things could be seen only with eyes wide shut. At times righteousness is achieved through sinful acts. Neither one is justifiable though. That’s the wicked nature of Love. Get them all, set her free."

The key to exit this frightening industry is obtained only after distinguishing worse from worst.

'Raakh Baaki' is a tour into this scary part of the factory of emotions.

AR Rahman pops emotion out of the industrial sounds. The song is a short travel, yet an unforgettable one. Its gripping at the same time haunting, locking the listener inside a specific mood.

There are other fabulous songs in the soudntrack of Mom, just like the above one. About the movie, it does not depend who is watching, but what the person is looking for in the film. Mom-the film is a melodrama that explores couple of its characters in depth, and leaves the rest of them wander aimlessly in the film. Sridevi breaking down in tears at the hospital and then starring at the emptiness in the court room are scenes filled to the brim with emotion. As usual AR Rahman discretely stamps his mark.

MoM - Mind of Man

PS : 'God cannot be everywhere, thats why he created Mom' / 'distinguishing worse from worst' are both dialogues in the movie.