View Poll Results: What does language mean to you?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Just a means of communication

5 33.33%
  • I am passionate about it

10 66.67%
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Languages : Just a medium for communication or a barrier?

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Hulkster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I got the point podalangai sir...i understand the pride and love for culture..even i am interested with the way humans have developed and lived just from analysing these cultures..in fact i would love to learn them and any language..its just fun to interact with human beings with what they know but what i dislike strongly is the strong impression of "identity" being used to separate human beings...we all should participate in cultural stuff in a fun way but not enforced or for those who dunt belong to the same "group" be ignored just because they dunt prefer that culture...we are human beings first...then only are we tamilans and all that.

In fact the cultures that are seen all around the world might have been adapted from a culture that homo sapiens might have been following first...perhaps due to continental/area segregation and human beings moving into different areas their cultures changed considerably due to the climates,atmosphere and the surivival styles of that place. If we were to use identity as a reason then we can trace back all cultures to the original culture that homo sapiens used and then we can really establish our identity. We can use identity if we are interacting with other animals but identity amongst ourselves when all of us belong to same scientific and practical classification which is homo sapiens is abit weird I think you can see from my views that i am totally practical..which is why the deep contradictions in my views compared to yours about culture and stuff.

Crazy regardless of what we believe and think..all of us are human beings. There's no such thing as good human being as all of us have done wrongs and mistakes...we can only be classified as human beings with different characters..so i am as equal as you are..even if you hate what i do your still a human being as equal to me nevertheless :P

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Platinum Hubber Shakthiprabha.'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by podalangai
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakthiprabha
    Looks like hulk and me are standing alone in the poll
    SP, honestly, if language is nothing more than a medium of communication, why were you upset about the banning of Tamil channels in Bangalore? Since Tamil is nothing more than just another medium of communication, it shouldn't make any difference what language you watch programmes in, should it? And there should be no problem abandoning Tamil altogether and switching to Kannada only either, should there? One medium of communication is as good as another and in Bangalore not speaking Tamil is a definite advantage.

I hope this doesn't sound offensive - it isn't intended to be. It is a genuine question. Why should we care at all about our mother tongue if it's just another means of communication, as you and Hulkster say? Isn't the logical corollary that we should give it up as soon as something else becomes more convenient?
    I am tired of debates (wanna take a break for a week.. )

anyway podalangai.

As Ive said earlier (I REMMEBER HULK, AND OTHERS WITH similar views saying too)

Just because a person says language is a medium of COMMUNICATION it does not mean he or she does not LOVE a language OR IS IN NO WAY LESSER than any other person's LOVE for the language.

The difference is WHETHER WE IDENTIFY OURSELVES as HUMAN BEINGS first anD LATER with language identity?

The difference is IN TRYING TO UNDERSTAND the fine clear line between LOVE and SOMETHING MORE THAN LOVE, lets say PASSION? (if thats the right word!)

When tamil channels were not broadcasted, I WAS LESS WORRIED about the not watching tv part(as I do not watch much) . Television is an ENTERTAINMENT media and I dont mind sticking to english or hindi OR WHAT IF I LIVE IN SWITZERLAND? I need to ADJUST with what I have there.

IF u had read my post carefully, you would have understood that

"TREATING A SECT OF HUMAN BEING (here example was tamil, it can be anyone else too) AS DIFFERENT from others, and SNATCHING THEIR RIGHT WAS what is condemnable.

Here are SOME OF QUOTES from my basic post of cauvery issue.

No! Not just because of blocking of channels or blocking of films being screened, but because of the WAY WE ARE BEING segregated and looked down upon and treated as MINORITIES.

This is indirectly saying... "THIS IS MY PLACE, I rule, U LISTEN"

WE ARE HURT.
    Is this not INTERFERING IN BASIC RIGHTS of a citizen?

Is this a mature way of dealing or protesting a dispute?

Is it not as childish as a 3 year old snatching the other 3 year old's toy
    because of irritation?

When we are with ppl of karnataka, is this the way we receive recognition of fellowship?
    Most of us WERE WITH THOSE PPL, and did not differentiate OURSELVES as tamilianS!

We were hurt ONLY WHEN THEY DIFFERENTIATED US and that too in the stand of BASIC HUMAN RIGHTS.

Hope this clarifies WHERE PPL who think language as 'JSUT A MEDIUM OF COMMUNICATION' stand.

My throat is dry and parched and do not wanna step in for more arguments for sometime in any thread

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    language is surely a barrier..

in abroad.. they differentiate mostly by tamil,telugu and hindi..
    in a group only if u know that language u will feel comfortable

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789