Page 80 of 147 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290130 ... LastLast

Thread: ARR News and other Tidbits

Senior Member Senior Hubber rayan36's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    A.R. Rahman clashes with Harris

By Behindwoods News Bureau.

August 09, 2007

Even though A.R. Rahman is still considered the genius in music, his lack of time to do Tamil movies left a space wide open for his student Harris Jeyaraj to take over. All his movies have become a rage in Kollywood. Harris Jeyaraj’s Unnale Unnale was the talk of the town before A.R. Rahman came back, all guns blazing, with Sivaji which is still ruling the charts. After getting the Filmfare award for Sillunu Oru kadhal A.R. Rahman is ready with ATM and Harris with Bheema.

In Bollywood, Rahman bagged Aamir-starrer Gajini, directed by A.R. Murugoss. The original movie was a musical hit with Suttum Vizhi Chudarae song becoming a sensation, tuned by Harris Jeyaraj. Aamir Khan’s favorite music director is said to have given sensational tunes to Aamir and left A.R. Murugadoss bold over. People can compare the songs only after the movie’s music is released, but that is bound to happen in mid 2008. Still the competition is well worth a wait.
    So is the case of Gautham Menon’s next with Trisha in the lead. And the director, for the first time, will work with A.R. Rahman. It will also be his first movie away from Harris Jeyaraj’s studio. Usually Harris is said to have given the best for Gautham’s movies as he was the one who introduced him to films. Starting from Minnale to Pachai Kili Muthu Charam the music has been mesmerizing. Gautham opting for Rahman for this IT-based musical was a shocker to many. Lets see how this musical competition between the Guru and the Sishyan fares, and who will be crowned the best in Kollywood.

AR RAHMAN - 'One note of the divine concord'

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Diamond Hubber A.ANAND's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rayan36
    A.R. Rahman clashes with Harris

By Behindwoods News Bureau.

August 09, 2007

Even though A.R. Rahman is still considered the genius in music, his lack of time to do Tamil movies left a space wide open for his student Harris Jeyaraj to take over. All his movies have become a rage in Kollywood. Harris Jeyaraj’s Unnale Unnale was the talk of the town before A.R. Rahman came back, all guns blazing, with Sivaji which is still ruling the charts. After getting the Filmfare award for Sillunu Oru kadhal A.R. Rahman is ready with ATM and Harris with Bheema.

In Bollywood, Rahman bagged Aamir-starrer Gajini, directed by A.R. Murugoss. The original movie was a musical hit with Suttum Vizhi Chudarae song becoming a sensation, tuned by Harris Jeyaraj. Aamir Khan’s favorite music director is said to have given sensational tunes to Aamir and left A.R. Murugadoss bold over. People can compare the songs only after the movie’s music is released, but that is bound to happen in mid 2008. Still the competition is well worth a wait.
    So is the case of Gautham Menon’s next with Trisha in the lead. And the director, for the first time, will work with A.R. Rahman. It will also be his first movie away from Harris Jeyaraj’s studio. Usually Harris is said to have given the best for Gautham’s movies as he was the one who introduced him to films. Starting from Minnale to Pachai Kili Muthu Charam the music has been mesmerizing. Gautham opting for Rahman for this IT-based musical was a shocker to many. Lets see how this musical competition between the Guru and the Sishyan fares, and who will be crowned the best in Kollywood.

aagga!!!kelabitanggayya!!kelabitangga eppadiyellam 'sindu'muttarannga parunngaiyya okkanthu yosipanggalo???

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's the translation of ARR's interview in tamil magazine, Kumudam...

Have you started a music college in the US?
    It is not a music college... It is a different kind of an attempt for exchange of music. For many years now, many American youngsters have been performing my compositions and researching my music, under the name "Global Rhythms". An event named "Rahman Nite" was organised in Michigan University (***not sure if it is Michigan State Univ or Univ of Michigan***) , and the entire proceeds went to poor children . This is just a cultural exchange, that's about it!!

Is this an attempt towards your dream of international confluence of music?
    To reach hearts, music is definitely a way. If we understand various cultures and the minds and the soulful raagas within the hearts of people around the world, where is the question of War or violence... This is my small contribution to theis world.

After Bombay Dreams, your mega project, Broadway show "LOTR" has released in London. How do you feel?
    This is a big project for me! I worked on this for about a year. This is is Sir Andrew Llyod Weber's dream project. Bombay Dreams, which was based on ,y film music compositions ran successfully in London and New York. But, LOTR is a big challenge, because it is a classic in both the forms - books and the movies. It required lots of effort.

Speaking of Bombay Dreams, it was staged only in New York. We are making efforts to take it to other cities in the US.

Do you have any intention of settling down in New York or Toronto?
    All these seem to be the intention of the press!! Wherever I go, Chennai is my native and my hometown. My family live in Chennai. When I started composing for Hindi movies, rumour spread that I was going to settle in Mumbai. Now, it is New York. That is the only difference.. .

I do stay in these countries to compose music. Even for LOTR, I composed in Chennai and Toronto. The world has shrunk to become a global village. One can do anything from any part of the world...

What do you think of the increasing "Kuthu" songs trend in tamil film music?
    It is a very sad thing...There can be one such song in an album. Having all songs like this makes it feel like many thunders landing right on your head!!! The thing called "melody" is slowly disappearing from Tamil cinema.

Kuthu songs are nothing but short cuts. But, we shouldnt blame just the music director for this. Directors also have a big role to play, in this. Tamil cinema must be saved from this illusion called "kuthu" songs. Please dont make "Kuthu" songs as anthems of Tamilnadu!!!

In Sivaji, after we finalised Sahara, Shankar argued that the song was too slow, and might hamper the speed of the movie. So, I made it slightly faster. There was no issue of ego, in this case.

You were invited to teach music at some American Universities?
    I was invited by California, New York and Weslian Universities. I just said "Sorry"!!!

When is the day when you will be composing for Hollywood movies?
    Talks have been on for many years. Hollywood film music is not like Indian film music. I will be required to stay and work in Los Angeles for 1 year. Till now, no movies worth that much of compromise has been offered.

Cheers,
    Aravind

source:a.r.rahmanfans@yahoo.groups

Senior Member Diamond Hubber selvakumar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    What do you think of the increasing "Kuthu" songs trend in tamil film music?
    It is a very sad thing...There can be one such song in an album. Having all songs like this makes it feel like many thunders landing right on your head!!! The thing called "melody" is slowly disappearing from Tamil cinema.

Kuthu songs are nothing but short cuts. But, we shouldnt blame just the music director for this. Directors also have a big role to play, in this. Tamil cinema must be saved from this illusion called "kuthu" songs. Please dont make "Kuthu" songs as anthems of Tamilnadu!!!

Ponnu Vellai tholah? illai Karuppu tholah?
    RE: Aennn.. Puli tholu..

Use short words, short sentences and short paragraphs. Never use jargon words like reconceptualize, demassification, attitudinally, judgmentally. They are hallmarks of a pretentious ass. - David Ogilvy

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Rahman. But then, we need to kick out the likes of Vijay out of Tamil cinema. Mudiyuma? Sickening craze that guy has...some things in life are a mystery.

BTW,
    Besides munbe vaa...SOK was not impressive. Filmfare seems to use Rahman as default.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aruvi
    I agree with Rahman. But then, we need to kick out the likes of Vijay out of Tamil cinema. Mudiyuma? Sickening craze that guy has...some things in life are a mystery.

BTW,
    Besides munbe vaa...SOK was not impressive. Filmfare seems to use Rahman as default.
    Again, I donno why people HATE "New Yark Nagaram". IMO, it is much much better than Munbae Vaa. Just listen to it : (On a rainy day with a tea / coffee in hand & in office) You will know how great it is ! IMO, the feel it provides is
    "Naangu Kannaadi suvargalukkullae naanum meluguvarthiyum
    Thanimai Thanimaiyae"
    When I listend to SOK, only NYN was in my mind and I thought MUnbae was just OK.

Use short words, short sentences and short paragraphs. Never use jargon words like reconceptualize, demassification, attitudinally, judgmentally. They are hallmarks of a pretentious ass. - David Ogilvy

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aruvi

BTW,
    may be u will very happy if harris get win 4 vettaiyadu vilayadu

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    selva "newyork nagaram" is def nice on the ears but it does remind u of a host of english songs with similar tune pattern like "ra ra rasputin" and many others. The big question is , is TFM really starved of nice , wholesome music that we have to settle down with mediocrity like SOK?

Senior Member Diamond Hubber ajaybaskar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thumburu sir, can u please explain the terms 'nice, wholesome'? Atlest give some examples for that too because till date I thought SOK was a nice, wholesome album.
    I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.

- Bernard Shaw

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by thumburu
    1) selva "newyork nagaram" is def nice on the ears but it does remind u of a host of english songs with similar tune pattern like "ra ra rasputin" and many others.
    2) The big question is , is TFM really starved of nice , wholesome music that we have to settle down with mediocrity like SOK?
    thumburu,
    1) Can you please elaborate on the first one? I couldn't understand. You meant to say there are lot ofenglish songs who are exactly same as tha tof NYN. IF it is, could you please upload it for me and give it to me
    IMO, NYN is one of the best songs of 2006. Music should make you feel and it made it. Every composer gives a song like this. For e..g, I love "Ninaithu Ninaithu paarthen" song in 7G a lot compared to other good songso f Yuvan. Mine was based on HOW I liked that song
    2) I am not too sure on the second point. You mean to say there are few albums in 2006 that were better than SOK