Thread: AR || Jodha Akbar | Ashutosh | Hrithik Roshan ||

Member Junior Hubber billrafeek's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Plz somebody send me the link... Thanx

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Moderator Diamond Hubber littlemaster1982's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Newyork Times Review. http://movies.nytimes.com/2008/02/16/movies/16akba.html

Movie Review
    Jodhaa Akbar (2007)
    By RACHEL SALTZ
    February 16, 2008

They may not make ’em like they used to in Hollywood, but sometimes in India they still do. “Jodhaa Akbar,” a historical romance directed by Ashutosh Gowariker, is filmmaking on the grand scale of Cecil B. DeMille, with romance, stirring battles, a cast of thousands and enough elephants and gold to sink the Titanic.

With so much attention focused on Islamic extremism, now seems an apt time for a movie about Akbar, the 16th-century Muslim emperor in India, whose legacy is one of enlightened rule and almost radical religious tolerance. “Jodhaa Akbar” begins before all that, when the young Akbar is still busy expanding the Mughal empire. This gives Mr. Gowariker a chance for some cinematic derring-do — in one spectacular shot the camera rushes back to avoid being trampled by two armies — and to show the seeds of what made Akbar one of history’s good guys. He fights with purpose (to consolidate Hindustan) but not without mercy.

The battles, though, are really a windup to the love story that propels the film. Forging a political alliance, Akbar marries Jodhaa, a Rajput princess (a Hindu), and then sets out to win her heart. These royals are played by Hrithik Roshan and Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, two rather astonishing specimens of human beauty. Neither is a great actor, but both know what’s required of a star and seem to the palace born.

Ms. Bachchan makes Jodhaa’s willfulness a sign of character, especially when she lays down the conditions for her marriage: She will remain a Hindu and would like a small temple for her Krishna statue in the Mughal fort. As Akbar, the green-eyed Mr. Roshan, a charter member of the Bollywood six-pack-abs club, has the bearing of a king, yet can seem a little blank when not in motion, fighting enemies or stripped to the waist taming wild elephants (just a hobby).

At — fair warning — three and a half hours, the film is too long. The court intrigues and counterintrigues can seem rote, and Akbar remains a bit of a cipher. Still, even the dramatically slack parts will probably hold your attention. Mr. Gowariker and his cinematographer, Kiiran Deohans, fill their frames with beautiful palaces and scenery, and the film bounces along to a memorable score by A. R. Rahman. (I’m still humming the songs.)

Mr. Gowariker’s “Lagaan” (2001), a classic root-for-the-underdog story, was one of the rare Bollywood movies to attract a non-South-Asian audience. “Jodhaa” may lack that film’s populist appeal but it shares its sense of national purpose and could just as easily have borne its subtitle: “Once Upon a Time in India.”

“Jodhaa Akbar” is not a history lesson: where, for example, are Akbar’s 199 other wives, or the painters and poets who made his court a fabled one? But in choosing to tell the tale of this emperor and a Muslim-Hindu love story, Mr. Gowariker makes a clear point. As Akbar says, “Respect for each other’s religion will enrich Hindustan.”

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber thineshan54321's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    does anyone know for how much sivaji's audio rights were sold for? dasavatharam has been sold for 2 crores, is sivaji more than this? (i am guessing so, but does anyone have the correct number?)
    Music is Peace

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber Yathu's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    First impressions*:

Azeem-o-shan: Nice to hear this one in Tamil (well mostly!). Some parts don’t gel IMO. Transition between the retained original vocals and the tamil vocals seem a bit abrupt. E.g. when the first “Maraharba” bit comes in. I think all of it shoud’ve been re-recorded with the Tamil chorus group. Also, as Dinesh I think pointed out, the lyrics seem a bit crowded at some points. Although, this may just be because I’ve listened to the Hindi version too many times!

Kwaja engal Kwaja: Sounds very nice. I’m still having difficulty understanding the lyrics , but on the whole very nice! Again, I’m getting the feeling that the lyrics jar with the song at some points.

Idhayam Idam: Love it! Karthik couldn’t have done a better job. Beautifully sung, with a lot of passion and emotion! His voice is very similar to Sonu Nigam’s, maybe that’s why its easier to accept this one so quickly. The lyrics starting “Centurion jodhi-il” is a little jarring (just a little ). Coming to Chitra…not too sure really…I think ARR should’ve kept Madhushree for this!

Man Mohana: Sadhana has definately done a very good rendition. My only critisicm would be that she could’ve put a bit more emotion into it!

Muzhumadhi: VERY VERY pleasant sounding! I can’t help but wonder if Naresh Iyer would’ve been a better choice than Srinivas. Am I alone on this?

*These views are liable to change! Also, sorry if this review seems like I’m being bit too hypercritical/ nitpicky!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yathu
    First impressions*:

Azeem-o-shan: Nice to hear this one in Tamil (well mostly!). Some parts don’t gel IMO. Transition between the retained original vocals and the tamil vocals seem a bit abrupt. E.g. when the first “Maraharba” bit comes in. I think all of it shoud’ve been re-recorded with the Tamil chorus group. Also, as Dinesh I think pointed out, the lyrics seem a bit crowded at some points. Although, this may just be because I’ve listened to the Hindi version too many times!

Kwaja engal Kwaja: Sounds very nice. I’m still having difficulty understanding the lyrics , but on the whole very nice! Again, I’m getting the feeling that the lyrics jar with the song at some points.

Idhayam Idam: Love it! Karthik couldn’t have done a better job. Beautifully sung, with a lot of passion and emotion! His voice is very similar to Sonu Nigam’s, maybe that’s why its easier to accept this one so quickly. The lyrics starting “Centurion jodhi-il” is a little jarring (just a little ). Coming to Chitra…not too sure really…I think ARR should’ve kept Madhushree for this!

Man Mohana: Sadhana has definately done a very good rendition. My only critisicm would be that she could’ve put a bit more emotion into it!

Muzhumadhi: VERY VERY pleasant sounding! I can’t help but wonder if Naresh Iyer would’ve been a better choice than Srinivas. Am I alone on this?

*These views are liable to change! Also, sorry if this review seems like I’m being bit too hypercritical/ nitpicky!
    i am with u on that! srinivas sounds awkward in this song. its alrite, but if teh voice was a bit younger, it would have been better.
    Music is Peace

Post Thanks / Like
    ARR tamil-a paadinaa, lyrics puriyarathellaam romba kastam thaan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Devar Magan
    i can understand him just fine. and he did an excellent job with khwaja.
    Music is Peace

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber Yathu's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Brother its cos my Thamil is not up to that standard.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    nopes...........i always understand what he sings

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    can someone send me the links please?

Page 55 of 62 FirstFirst ... 5455354555657 ... LastLast