Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: "Moral science" in schools... is it still relevant

Senior Member Regular Hubber Bipolar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Having had the luck to get schooling in a convent we had foreign nuns in charge of the moral science class. Like for other subjects we had prescribed books in the syllabus. I even remember the wall-like, brick-design on the book cover, only the colour changed as the numbers increased from 1 to 2 to 3 ...In our final year in school we had very memorable from our teacher on the dignity of women, teenage girls in particular & how we shall nurture it. In the personality development of a pupil, the moral instruction classes have a place by making him think, choose, believe & assess. Grandmas have been replaced by CD's of Panchathantra stories & Aesop tales. The human touch is missing.
    I went to Catholic schools too, and I think we probably used the same books for moral science as you did. Most Catholic schools in India are attended by children from higher socio-economic classes - in that respect, there's a bit of elitism, and I feel that children are shielded from the real world (at least the school were I studied, many of my classmates were children of topflight businessmen, lawyers, doctors, etc. and there were a few kids who were there probably simply because they were Catholics themselves, although they weren't rich) Especially in a country like India, most children don't have the luxury of studying in such good schools. Many children don't even have the luxury of going to any school, sadly. In my final year of school ("Tenth standard" as it is called) I studied in a relatively "poor" school. Most of the children there were from an economically poor background, and I'll tell you, that was an eye-opening experience for me. That was my first taste of the real world. That was when I genuinely took my first steps out of the pretty painted world of the Catholic school that I previously attended and learned about real life. It's experiences like that which really prepare you to face life. While I certainly agree that the various orders of Catholic monks and nuns around the world deserve praise for their genuine efforts in spreading education, there is also the fact that in India at least, many such schools are a bit elitist, and the same thing can be said about the value systems they teach.

In India, there are still several subjects that are taboo - for example the issue of sex is still something that seems unmentionable to most parents. Why is sex regarded as something so dirty? It's a normal part of human life. We have a population of over one billion (and rising fast). I wonder how. I'm sorry, but I think the whole idea of "dignity/modesty/honour" of women is an artificial concept, invented by males to serve themselves. From an evolutionary point of view, a male can be sure that his genes are passed on to the next generation only if he totally prevents any contact between his partner and another male. If a female is pregnant, she can be sure that her child will carry her genes. But unless she is totally faithful to one male and him only, her partner cannot be sure that her child is also carrying his genes. That is why men are so possessive of their wives/girlfriends. To encourage women to stick to their partners, the concept of "modesty/honour" was invented. Of course, I am not suggesting that women should not be faithful to their partners. But let's accept the real reasons for it, instead of inventing false glorifications. If children aren't taught about sex in an open, sensitive, mature way, they will learn about it from films - where it is often presented in a vulgar fashion, or worse still, they will experiment. The consequences of this will be far worse than dealing with any embarrassment that an open discussion may bring. That's why I feel that the present way of teaching children "morals" in school is patronising and ineffective.
    "The best form is no form." - Bruce Lee

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Platinum Hubber pavalamani pragasam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    "the whole idea of "dignity/modesty/honour" of women is an artificial concept, invented by males to serve themselves." How exactly 'artificial' is it? Our ancient culture speak about 4 essential feminine traits; there is sense in it! The concept does not serve the males alone but the whole society, creates a discipline of senses, sensuality, ensuring peace, health & progress. Hence it is only partial truth: ' To encourage women to stick to their partners, the concept of "modesty/honour" was invented.'

"Why is sex regarded as something so dirty?" Who said so? Neither is it embarrassing. Just unnecessary topic of discussion with children at tender age intruding upon their natural blossoming, a gradual process of slow recognition of curiosities, surprises observing inside & outside developments, Nature's wonders. No need at all to kindle their curiosities prematurely in the name 'educating' them. The result could be adverse to the one aimed at!
    I beg to differ with this: 'That's why I feel that the present way of teaching children "morals" in school is patronising and ineffective.'
    We had an ample chance of knowing about petty vices & big carnal vices, warned against yielding to them. Even if it is theory class, such lessons can only be theoretical. No need to get one's fingers burned to know that fire burns.
    Eager to watch the trends of the world & to nurture in the youth who carry the future world on their shoulders a right sense of values.

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Nirosha, nice to know you are still around ! (to render advises to troubled souls !!! Or have you stopped it?? )

Sex education for children "Unnecessary topic of discussion" ??!!
    "intruding upon natural blossoming"?! - sexual awareness, unnatural?!!
    When does it become necessary - after two abortions?!!

Senior Member Platinum Hubber pavalamani pragasam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Abortions might have increased in proportion to population increase. But is abortion a regular occurrence in the lives of our womenfolk? Not yet! God forbid!
    Children are smart enough to see 2+2 makes four! Dangerous to try to make them oversmart!
    Eager to watch the trends of the world & to nurture in the youth who carry the future world on their shoulders a right sense of values.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber sarna_blr's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Are discussions still relevent to the topic? i dont think so..
    Seven social sins:
    1.Politics without principles
    2.Wealth without work
    3.Pleasure without conscience
    4.Knowledge without character
    5.Commerce without morality
    6.Science without humanity
    7.Worship without sacrifice

Post Thanks / Like

hi shekar / app_engine

i am sure i understood the difference between knowledge and values.

the point is what we pick up from our studies. like any other subject, moral is also taught as a subject in schools. we all study on many subjects but master one or two.

though we master one particular subject but practise another one. though we practise another particular subject, we preach some other.

so we learn everything but we do what we want to. why blame the subjects taught?

Post Thanks / Like
    Every age in the course of a human goes through several process. Education/knowledge of matters keep on improving by age. Any man or woman should know what he or she needs to know at the age where there is semblance of maturity and understanding of things. For the sake of opening out things which are kept barred for not only the welfare of children but also the society in general or in the name of open society, we can make children laboratories and waylid them.

From our culture, We can see family break ups are rare in the past and subsequent to western influence, it is order of the day today though not everywhere. But, in the so called advanced societies, there is no family structure except in some traditional households.

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Mr Shekar. Have I not made things clear. My position is it is better to follow our own culture and ethics rather than changing for the sake of it. Children should be made aware of certain things only when they are ready for it.

Senior Member Senior Hubber nirosha sen's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hm..interesting diversion, but yes, sex education was quite simply called reproductive science in my days. That way, our teachers and the syllabus very adroitly taught us about the meosis and mitosis process of reproduction. I doubt if any of us was too shy to question it! In fact we were all agog with curiosity to understand the process of pollination in plant science and the whole reproductive process involving animals before we were introduced to the human anatomy. By which time of course, we were well and ready for it!

So, it was hardly treated as a moral question but just part and parcel of science lessons.

Hi Shekhar, I occasionally foray here but it's nice to see ole souls like you still around. Something about the Familiars warms the heart. Particularly the likes of Pava, who's bravely held the fort for so long!!
    Demand a broader view - BBC

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast