Page 68 of 250 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078118168 ... LastLast

Thread: Maestro Ilaiyaraja New Albums 2011 - Hello Jaihind / Sri Rama Rajyam

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    This thread has become yet another thread where any negative comments on Raja aren't tolerated. It is very unfortunate that so called fans take it personal when someone posts negatively either about IR or about his compositions. As such, none of our comments really affect IR a bit, and hence, if someone doesn't like any of the comments, it is better to ignore than to respond and create a flutter unnecessarily.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mohanraj,

I understand you feeling bad about comments being deleted. As I said, unless there have been posts which have the potential to create a major flame, the moderators generally don't interfere. Maybe ezy had some points about Rahman but if they had the potential of creating unwanted furore, the mods may have decided to remove it.

I wouldn't agree with vem about negative comments being deleted. Infact many threads have carried comments which are 'negative' and there have been lot of discussion around those comments as well. I am sure everyone welcomes all types of comments as long as they don't create unnecessary controversies.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    raagas,

It is true that many an artist, who probably did not like the way things were going, had to adapt himself / herself to the trend if they had to stay relevant. I believe Raja understands this much better than anyone else. Most of the music directors in the past, including some you mentioned, lost their relevance when they couldn't adapt to changing times. Raja stays relevant because he is adapting to the times, whether we like it or not. At the same time he may not feel good about certain things. An artist will always have to deal with this paradox in changing times and honestly I am happy that Raja chooses to fight by changing his style rather than become an elder spokesman who just keeps cribbing.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber MADDY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sureshs65
    It becomes difficult to compare the output of music directors like Raja who predominantly stick to 'I will compose everything' school versus all others of today who are OK with taking in commercially available loops / samples in their music.
    eh? i think raaja too has used "pre-constructed" samples.....so, raaja too comes into the territory of "others" in this arguement......but why do you need to compare MDs on basis of loops-usage? im sure a MD who relies completely on loops has a bad taste for arranging those loops too......i think its pretty obvious - difference betn a talented guy like yuvan and a loops-assembler like himesh isnt it?

Quote Originally Posted by Suresh65
    One way this can be surmounted is for the composers to clearly mention which parts of their music were taken from which commercially available sample / loop etc. As we know even the name of the person that comes in and claps twice is mentioned in the inlay card nowadays and it is laudable. If the music directors will also mention their sources it will be even more laudable. But as you know, giving credit to your music sources is a very different ball game from giving credit to musicians.
    suresh, i get where u r "getting at" .......i dont understand how the purpose of crediting musicians and crediting loops-sources is "same".......if you understand how our industry works then "crediting musicians" is the primary step in direction of copyrights.....loops-source hmmm it could be a common source like the ones that come with Apple logic pro s/w (or something similar) - i dont understand why we need to credit Microsoft whenever we develop a program in VisualC++ , we have already paid for the license rite ?? what i meant, there mite not be a specific person behind composing loops, it could be a company or orgnisation which requires only fees and not credits
    _________
    Rahman's music is the ringtone on God's mobile phone

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was thinking this thread was to discus Raja's new albums...

Senior Member Devoted Hubber ananth222's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MADDY
    loops-source hmmm it could be a common source like the ones that come with Apple logic pro s/w (or something similar) - i dont understand why we need to credit Microsoft whenever we develop a program in VisualC++ , we have already paid for the license rite ?? what i meant, there mite not be a specific person behind composing loops, it could be a company or orgnisation which requires only fees and not credits
    LOL!! you don't need to credit MS for code you write urself using VC++, just like you don't have to credit Korg/Yamaha for composing tracks using their instruments. But if you reuse code snippets from MS or any other piece of software, whether its open source and available out there or you stole it, you better credit the source. Same applies to loops. The excuses people make to justify their world view.....

Senior Member Senior Hubber raagas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Suresh,

It is perfectly understandable that IR needs to balance a lot of things to stay relevant. And yes, IR is not composing for a few selected hubbers like us here, to tailor his product according to our likes.There were scores of IR songs that i disliked during his 80s period.And even 90s.So, I am not expecting his every work now to be a good one.2009 was simply fabulous, in which i liked many and disliked few. Thats fine.But in the process of adapting, I wouldnt be quite happy if he changes his style completely.The underlying signatures need to be there.As long as they are there, I can lap it up (it is not even my conscious decision.. liking it or disliking it, happens by its own).Kai Veesi has a different IR, but with his signatures.I enjoyed it.But i cant say the same about "Om Shanti".I enjoy Ponmani Theril,but i could not enjoy "Ilamai Kanavugal"(Dhanam).I hope you get the 'kind' of music that i wish from IR.if he dishes that,I enjoy and if he doesnt, i play the plethora of stuff he gave me.
    Just 7 notes behold a beauty of life...

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am just not comfortable with the loops IR. Om Shanti is a washout. Frankly, if he is evolving is what this means, I dont want this evolution.
    (mera number aa gaya )

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    BTW, one of the links on Om Shanti put here had a comment that IR was approached for the movie on Srinivasan Ramanujam. I really wish that is true.

Senior Member Senior Hubber raagas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Plum
    I am just not comfortable with the loops IR. Om Shanti is a washout. Frankly, if he is evolving is what this means, I dont want this evolution.
    (mera number aa gaya )
    This forum should have "Like" button, similar to the one in facebook