Page 89 of 250 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199139189 ... LastLast

Thread: Maestro Ilaiyaraja New Albums 2011 - Hello Jaihind / Sri Rama Rajyam

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Happy to see IR not falling in to the caste trap laid by such leaders !
    Well done Raja !

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    சாருவோடு ஒரு நேர்காணல்

"இளையராஜாவை விட யுவன் ஷங்கர்ராஜா பல மடங்கு இசை ரசனையுள்ளவர்.
    புதுப்பேட்டை ’ யில் அவர் கொடுத்திருக்கும் இசை பெரிய சிம்பொனி மாதிரி இருக்கிறது. மேற்கத்திய இசையில் ரொம்பவும் ஆழமான ரசனை உள்ளவனால் மட்டுமே இதைச் செய்ய முடியும். அதே போல ஏ.ஆர்.ரஹ்மான் ‘ குரு ’ படத்திற்குப் போட்டிருப்பதும் உயர்தரமான இசை என்று சொல்ல முடியும். நான் எழுதிய இசைக் கட்டுரைகள் ‘ கலகம் காதல் இசை ’ என்று தொகுக்கப்பட்டு சமீபத்தில் ஒரு புத்தகமாக வந்திருக்கிறது. இதுதான் எனக்கும் இசைக்கும் உள்ள உறவை வெளிப்படுத்தும் சான்று. இளையராஜா பற்றி இன்னும் சொல்ல வேண்டும் என்றால் அவருக்கும் மேலாகச் சென்று இசையில் சாதனை செய்தவர்கள் சுமாராக பதினைந்து பேரையும் மறந்துவிட்டு , மறுத்துவிட்டு இவர் இருப்பது நன்றி கெட்டதனம். ஒருவன் தன்னை இசைஞானி என்று கூப்பிட்டால் , எனக்கு முன்னால் பதினைந்து ஞானிகள் இருந்திருக்கிறார்கள் என்று தன்னடக்கத்துடன் அவர் சொல்லியிருக்க வேண்டும்."

http://pinnaveenathuvam.wordpress.co...#2994;்/

என்ன கொடுமை சரவணா இது ???

Senior Member Veteran Hubber jaiganes's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pulavar
    சாருவோடு ஒரு நேர்காணல்

"இளையராஜாவை விட யுவன் ஷங்கர்ராஜா பல மடங்கு இசை ரசனையுள்ளவர்.
    புதுப்பேட்டை ’ யில் அவர் கொடுத்திருக்கும் இசை பெரிய சிம்பொனி மாதிரி இருக்கிறது. மேற்கத்திய இசையில் ரொம்பவும் ஆழமான ரசனை உள்ளவனால் மட்டுமே இதைச் செய்ய முடியும். அதே போல ஏ.ஆர்.ரஹ்மான் ‘ குரு ’ படத்திற்குப் போட்டிருப்பதும் உயர்தரமான இசை என்று சொல்ல முடியும். நான் எழுதிய இசைக் கட்டுரைகள் ‘ கலகம் காதல் இசை ’ என்று தொகுக்கப்பட்டு சமீபத்தில் ஒரு புத்தகமாக வந்திருக்கிறது. இதுதான் எனக்கும் இசைக்கும் உள்ள உறவை வெளிப்படுத்தும் சான்று. இளையராஜா பற்றி இன்னும் சொல்ல வேண்டும் என்றால் அவருக்கும் மேலாகச் சென்று இசையில் சாதனை செய்தவர்கள் சுமாராக பதினைந்து பேரையும் மறந்துவிட்டு , மறுத்துவிட்டு இவர் இருப்பது நன்றி கெட்டதனம். ஒருவன் தன்னை இசைஞானி என்று கூப்பிட்டால் , எனக்கு முன்னால் பதினைந்து ஞானிகள் இருந்திருக்கிறார்கள் என்று தன்னடக்கத்துடன் அவர் சொல்லியிருக்க வேண்டும்."

http://pinnaveenathuvam.wordpress.co...#2994;்/

என்ன கொடுமை சரவணா இது ???
    pulavarE. idhu engalukku romba pazhagi poachu.
    Aduththu paithiyathodu paththu naal appdinnu oru serieslayum idhe katturai varum.
    Freeya vidunga.
    Apparently, a democracy is a place where numerous elections are held at great cost without issues and with interchangeable candidates.
    - Gore Vidal

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sureshs65
    raja_fan,

I thought Sathyan achieved that nirvana quite some time back. Atleast the last half dozen movies of his which I saw were almost similar in characterization and treatment.

This reminds me of P G Wodehouse and his statement against his critics. Writing the preface to one of the Psmith novels, Wodehouse said something like this, "For my earlier book, the critics said it was the same Wodehouse story with different characters. They can't say that for this book. This is the same story with the same characters!!!" (He has already written a Psmith book.) Sathyan is somewhere close to that.

You could not have put it better!

A perspectiveon Sathyan.
    Sathyan is a pioneer in introducing believable stories with subtle performances, socially relevant themes , targeting family audiences, laced with humour that is never of the not over the top kind. He has initially done this in the company of Srinivasan(the script writer of most of his films). The target audience for his films are not the college going or tech- freak ones. He is even today considered the number 1 director in Malayalam & the # 3 in terms of a Brand on box office draw, after Mammootty & Mohan lal – His target audience being the family & Ladies. Even today, Sathyan’s films are the first choice for a middle class family – something they would go to blindfolded. In a way, he has been a trendsetter for these kind of ilms in Malayalam – with many like Fazil,Kamal,Srinivasan,Priyadarshan etc. following this model.

Recently, I had watched an interview of Mohanlal in a Channel, where he interviewed his mother. While explaining, what she disliked & what she liked, she mentioned – “I like u doing those Sathyan films - & the songs like in Innathe Chintha vishayam - Manassiloru poo maala – I enjoy them a lot”. Mind u – that’s not the best picuturisation or the best of Sathyan films recently – That’s the Sathyan hold on the Lady audiences tastes! In fact I find a similar echo from many of the women.

Every director ultimately belongs to a particular league or format – the canvas or segment targeted may be different. Sathyan is , in my opinion, in the league of Hrishikesh Mukherjee or Basu Chatterjee, who produced one of the most believable films, somewhere connecting to the life of a middle class or common man. In Hindi films too, the 70’s period of Hrishikesh/Basu is probably the golden period. After losing way, they are now connecting back with some good films/ film makers in between. Sathyan , now into his 50th film , somehow has been able to sustain the charm & sway over audiences, consistently delivering box office success with simple themes even after 30+ years in films.

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    A related facet about Sathyan is his consistency in what he beleives- he does not change even the artistes he is comfortable working with.

In every interview he keeps saying, "there are 3 people I deeply revere, two are Yesudas & Ilaiyaraaja, whom I consider fortunate enough to be born with in the same era, Ilaiyaraaja whom I consider equally fortunate to be able to also work with, watching the music getting to form (One example he quotes frequently for this - is the Melleyonnu song of Manssinakkare, which he says was unbeleivaly the same as what he was looking for, when he explained to IR) & the 3rd is Mohan lal whom I enjoy directing , watching his effortlessness & spontainety".

A trivia- although he started off as a lyricist for 10 years, having written more than 100 songs before learning & directing films, he has not written a song for IR so far. Looking at his track record at songs, that would be something to look out for. That's also a factor why songs in his films stand out.

As a film director, he has been writing his own story / dialogues etc. apart from directing his own scripts probably since Manasinakkare. Earlier, when he teamed up with Srinivasan for the story/dialogues, the films were laugh riots.
    Alone, the comedy factor is definitely lower. The news is he is teaming up with Srinivasan for the next- a sequel to Sandesham, that was a superb film.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Saagar,

Welcome back We were missing you when we were discussing Raja of 80s, 90s and 2000s in Malayalam. That is a very nice perspective on Sathyan.

I have only watched movies of Sathyan which Raja has given music to. As you say the target audience is very clear in all the movies, be it KKS, Innathe Chinta Vishayam, Vinodayatra, Rasathantram etc. (Yet to watch Bhagyadevatha.) My wife also likes these movies but says "they are good, but there is nothing much in them." (She is used to Tamil movies ) Anyway, I think that is Sathyan's forte, a glimpse of the rural life with age old values that keep pulling the audience in. Raja understands that and tailors his music accordingly. I don't think any of the Sathyan - Raja combination was a letdown in terms of music. As you say, even 'Innate Chinta Vishayam', songs of which I thought were not major hits, have actually reached lot of people. Lot of people love the 'kandu kandu kaaka kuyile' song and it fetched some award to M G Sreekumar as well.

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    digression

The best film by Sathyan (among those I watched) is 'nAdOdikkAtRu' by many many miles

And the best song ever for his films, IMSO, is 'vaishAka sandhyE' (by Shyam, both KJY & KSC versions)

end-digression

Post Thanks / Like
    app,

Continuing the dig. If I remember right, you were the one who posted the 'vaishaka sandhye' quite some time back. I downloaded it then and listen to it often. A lovely song and a very natural picturisation. Shobana is so very good and natural in this song. Somehow the Tamil version of the song did not appeal to me as much as the Mal version.

Since it is a dig, another song in which the heroine is very charming and natural is 'sharadindu malardeepa' song. Someone in youtube wrote, how can one not fall in love with Shoba after seeing this song. Fully agree with that person

/ end dig

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dont recollect if this movie is included in IR's malayalam new movies:

"Alexander the great", malayalam movie with Mohanlal in lead has music by IR. Shooting has resumed, it seems. BTW, its not a historical movie.

http://malayalam.galatta.com/enterta...ing_35855.html

thanks,

Krishnan

Post Thanks / Like
    Breaking news! "All About Jazz" publishes review of Maestro.Ilaiyaraaja's music for PAA and KERALAVERMA PAZHASSI RAAJA....

Renowned jazz music critic/columnist Chris Slawecki reviews/critiques Maestro.Ilaiyaraaja's recent best-selling album "PAA" for Allaboutjazz.com, the web's premier resource for jazz music.

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/arti...?id=35635&pg=4

Snippets:

'the bright and colorful "Mudhi Mudhi Ittefaq Se," the sound of internationally-contemporary jazz—jazz that sounds at home in any nation—painted in colorful strokes behind a female vocalist who chases its light melody the way that a kitten chases a kite tail'

Enjoy!!

PS: since Chris Slawecki is essentially a jazz music critic, it would be unfair to expect him to write about the nuances of Indian classical music elements used by IR in either of these albums - plus, the slot(s) given for reviews of albums is/are limited - so, pls bear in mind, these factors while reading the reviews