Page 86 of 91 FirstFirst ... 36768485868788 ... LastLast

Thread: || Raavan(an) | Mani Ratnam | Vikram | Abhishek Bachchan ||

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Unfortunately the reviewers in almost all sites have torn the movie apart and called it the biggest disappointment. One reviewer has said, 'I want my Mani back' indicating his disappointment. Have yet to catch this movie.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    saw the movie on 17th itself....i guess they have released the movie here in malaysia a day earlier...enjoyed the movie...superb performance by all the actors....the bgm is awesome...and the song which ar.rahman sang which was not in the cd's was used at the end

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    and the fight scenes at the end between vikram n prithviraj on the bridge is excellent!!...i think its computer graphics but it looked real...

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's a movie that's not going to be well-received now but will be hailed as a classic later.

I love that the movie asks is Veera bad or good - depends on the time, situation just as whether Dev is good or bad - morally grey areas.

Even though everybody knew that the movie was using Ramayana as inspiration - I never thought how Manirathnam was going to handle the "trial by fire" storyline but I started to ask myself as I watched the movie and it was answered in the climax!!! I really wanted Veera and the lady to be together - she can always divorce Dev.

Prabhu and Karthik - heros from Agni Natchatiram are great but it seems Prabhu has been doing these type of roles a lot lately. Priyamani reminds of her in Paruthi Veeran mode. Vaiyapuri brings the house down as a gay character.

ARR's new song comes towards the end of the movie after the climax. New version of Katu Cherikee used - which is very good.
    I'm going to watch the movie again on Sunday!!!

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    RAAVAN EARNS A RARE DISTINCTION IN THE US!

Mani Ratnam’s Raavan opened to packed houses in the US. Interestingly, the film has received rave reviews from the American media. The New York Times has reported it to be a Critics’ Pick, a distinction that is very rare for an Indian film.

Other dailies that raved about Raavan were Variety and Hollywood Reporter.

New York Times published: “Raavan” has “Bollywood glamour aplenty, with the lovely if occasionally dramatically challenged Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, Bachchan’s wife, playing the Sita stand-in… The real star, though, is Ratnam, a talented visual storyteller who directs action crisply and fills the screen with striking images.”

http://www.behindwoods.com/tamil-mov...-19-06-10.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/18/movies/18raavan.html

This film has been designated as a Critics' Pick.

The low-caste Beera rules the forest in “Raavan,” Mani Ratnam’s richly atmospheric adaptation of the Indian epic “The Ramayana.” Though the film takes place in the present, Mr. Ratnam’s forest remains an appropriately primeval place for mythic doings, full of fog and mists and rain and Beera’s mud-painted followers (shades of “Apocalypse Now”).

Raavan (Ravana in Sanskrit), as every Indian knows, is the demon in “The Ramayana” who kidnaps Sita, the wife of Rama: king, deity and model husband (as Sita is the model wife). Early on in Mr. Ratnam’s film the question is asked: Is Beera (a gleefully hammy Abhishek Bachchan) Robin Hood or Raavan? He’s both — and more a hero in this telling, set on his turf, than is the Rama character, a cop called Dev (Vikram), who matches Beera in brutality and cunning, but not in heart.

“Raavan” has Bollywood glamour aplenty, with the lovely if occasionally dramatically challenged Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, Mr. Bachchan’s wife, playing the Sita stand-in. The real star, though, is Mr. Ratnam, a talented visual storyteller who directs action crisply and fills the screen with striking images. (One, of Ms. Bachchan’s falling body landing gracefully on a tree branch, is so good he uses it three times.)

Artful but not arty, Mr. Ratnam, whose films include “Dil Se” and “Guru,” delivers the goods: There are songs and dances (A. R. Rahman of “Slumdog Millionaire” fame did the excellent score), and an eye-popping climactic battle, between the bad-good Beera and the good-bad Dev, on a teetering suspension bridge. And that, folks, is entertainment.

jolly-o-jimkanna

Senior Member Veteran Hubber baroque's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Watched Raavanan...Tamil.

I loved it for visuals, camera, magnificent Vikram - facial gestures. (bak bak bak.. should have been less.)

Priyamani has done a nice job.
    (Priyamani's marriage is in north Indian temple?
    கல்யாணத்துக்கு எதுக்கு north indiaபோயிட்டாங்க .. நம்ப தமிழ்நாட்டுலேயே ஒரு கோயில்லே பண்ணிருக்கலாம் ..சரி..போயிட்டு போறது ..தமிழ் கல்யாணத்துலே எங்க பாட்டு பாடறாங்க ... சினிமா கற்பனைதானே )
    vikram's emotional acting in the scene...ஓலமிட்டு அழ முடியாமல் when he sees his sister's body, பலமாக இருபக்கமும் இருப்போரை இறுக்கமா பிடிப்பாரு ... very touching. my heart is very heavy.

Prithvi is good.
    Cruel S.P...DEV, he pressed the broken hand of Priyamani's hubby..very painful to watch... How cruel!

2 போட்டோ scenes are very memorable .

தேவ் ராகினி போட்டோவை காமிச்சு இவங்களை பார்த்துருக்கீங்கலானு
    கேட்டுண்டே, மெதுவா வீரையா போட்டோவை நகர்த்துவாறு...அவளை தேடி வரும் போது.

அதே மாதிரி, ராகினி கிட்ட வீரா, நான் S .P tent ல் போட்டோ பார்த்தேன்.. என்னோட போட்டோ ன்னு சொல்லும் போது... VERY CLEVER .

water falls, celebration songs in the rains, rivers, jungles, lush forest... magical Santosh Sivan.
    water, water, water, mist, mist, mist... oh, we all know Mr.Mani Rathnam's love for mazhai, mist, water!

Climax scene...Dev wins Veera.
    ruthless,clever cop cunningly used his wife to win/capture veera.
    veera maybe little happy when he dies, but எனக்கு பாவமா இருந்தது ... when he was telling her what he told Dev about her and asked her about what her hubby told her.
    Brilliant work from Mani Rathnam.
    Veera died
    in my dreams, I want Veera and Raagini to unite , hug and kiss... romance romance romance in the air... அவா ரெண்டு பேரும்தான் சேரட்டுமே screw the culture!

Oh, I absolutely loved VIKRAM.
    I need to revisit PITHAMAGAN (Bala's Vikram ) this week sometime.

Vinatha.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    need to catch raavanan in a multiplex to notice rahman's work..wen i saw it in sangam onnume kekkale..was the bgm silent or theatre sound system problem
    Say My Name

Moderator Diamond Hubber littlemaster1982's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sangam's sound system is quite good. I'm not sure what the problem is. I was not satisfied by the output too in the theater I watched, which has a good sound system.

Senior Member Senior Hubber rayan36's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Amitabh unhappy with ‘Raavan’
    IndiaGlitz [Monday, June 21, 2010]

Even as the much-hyped ‘Raavan’, starring his son Abhishek Bachchan in the lead, opened to mixed reviews, Amitabh Bachchan has expressed unhappiness over the film’s editing, which, according to him, ruined Abhishek’s performance.

“It's “sad”, in the edit you only see the after-effect of that thinking process, hence inconsistent. In the edit, all the visual heads got cut and you see a confused ‘Beera’ expression and wonder why?” Amitabh wrote on a microblogging site.

“Lot of the merited film edited out, causing inconsistent performance and narrative. Abhishek's erratic behaviour was due to symbolic 10 heads visually appearing and each giving him different attitudes to adopt for a situation, he would then finally shake them off and decide,” he said.

And when he appeared online for the second time during the day, Amitabh accused the media of misinterpreting his statement as an affront to the film’s director Mani Ratnam. “There has and shall always be respect and dignity for him… media playing with words. Mani is one of our finest directors... he should never stop making films.”

Meanwhile, protagonist of the movie’s Tamil version ‘Raavanan’ Vikram and cinematographer for both the versions Santosh Sivan came to the defence of Mani Ratnam. While Santosh Sivan said the director's prerogative cannot be questioned by anyone, Vikram said the audience was the ultimate judge.

AR RAHMAN - 'One note of the divine concord'

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    anyone here, where can we get the movie version of Raanjha Raanjha/Kaattu Sirukki? is it/bgm available anywhere in the net yet? pls keep me posted here if n when it becomes available...

Page 86 of 91 FirstFirst ... 36768485868788 ... LastLast