View Poll Results: What do you think are basic qualifications of a TFM critic?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Training on either ICM or WCM plus knowlege of Film field

6 42.86%
  • Ability to at least sing / play an instrument plus years of TFM listening

2 14.29%
  • Wide listening experience of variety of music genres with no musical knowledge

6 42.86%
  • Capability to critique anything / create a vambu or stir

0 0%
  • Should have worked in TFM / IFM in some capacity

0 0%
  • Other criteria - like "should have listened to 10000 hours of TFM" etc

0 0%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Who is qualified to be called a "TFM critic"?

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Obviously ability to articulate alone is not enough. But it is a very basic trait of a critic. And often, that is what is missing in most reviews I read on the net. Be it movies or music. And with music, considering its abstract nature, this trait assumes even more importance.
    And if you include knowledge and objectivity as well, the list of worthwhile reviewers get shortened even further.
    The reviews that appear in print(in English dailies) are on an average better than online reviews, atleast as far as movies are concerned. And carnatic concert reviews too tend to be generally decently written. Maybe it is because of the quality control there. On the net, anyone with a keyboard and net access can call himself a "critic"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is a fairly difficult question to answer but given the current scenario, it is good have a debate on this aspect.

I said it is difficult in this area because film music does not have strict boundaries as in carnatic music or hindustani music. Yes, Carnatic music or hindustani music can take in external influence but the core of the music form is well defined. Whereas the core of Indian film music is nebulous to say the least, though there is definitely something called film music!! This ability to take in any influence, classical, folk, western rock, pop, jazz etc and morph it into itself is the greatest virtue of our film music.

Given this situation, it is obvious difficult to say that the critic should be well versed in one form of music and it is almost impossible to someone to be well versed in all forms of music!! My personal take is that a good critic should be well versed in the basics of music like being able to identify the notes or in being able to identify the chords. Someone who actually has played an instrument for a film song would be great or atleast who has tried to play a song on the instrument in an orchestra. Someone like Violin Vicky would probably fall in this category. Needless to say, the critic should have an open mind to accept newer influences and see how they impact the current. He should have heard a lot of different types of music and should be able to appreciate other forms of music. (Ofcourse many music directors may not want a critic who has heard a lot because he / she may find out where they get their inspiration from ) Would agree with Vijay that putting things down in an understanable fashion is very important.

As trends change, the expectations from the critic change as well. Someone who was good critic during MSV era may have been insufficient during Raja times and when Rahman came along critics would have had to learn newer things. Yet some basic expectations would remain. The ability to see continuity in change, the ability to point out to new talent and ability to influence tastes.

Given this, I would agree with Vijay that I have not yet come across a film critic who can be termed as good. I would personally rate someone like Baradwaj Rangan as a good writer. Musically I don't get much from him and I am sure he will accept that he is not a musician and is not trying to educate us musically. Other like Karthik etc, I would call them as reviewers as opposed to critics.

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kid-glove
    Backgroundscore.com (Ursmusically/Suresh)
    Sureshs65
    Bala(Karthik)
    Complicateur
    Though, I am truly honoured to be included in the same list as Suresh65, Bala and Complicateur, I don't consider myself a TFM critic or reviewer or anything for that matter. I realized that long ago and stopped writing reviews. The total number of posts in my blog (ursmusically) in 2010 is 10 so far. It is also important to note that, even those very few so-called reviews I wrote are about the music *I liked*.

In the site on backgroundscore, where I post more regularly nowadays, I just write what I feel about the score - on emotional terms. I don't get into technicalities of music, not because I didn't want to, but because I don't know.

I started blogging about music, because I had no one around me in person, to whom I could talk to about music. I still blog for the same reason.

Great discussion this one is. Keep them going.

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sureshmehcnit
    I don't consider myself a TFM critic or reviewer or anything for that matter.
    "நிறைகுடம் தளும்பாது"ன்னு சொல்லிச்சொல்லியே நமது சமுதாயத்தில் இந்த மாதிரித்திறமைசாலிகளை நாம் டிஃபன்ஸ் ஆட்டம் ஆட வைத்து விடுகிறோம்

இதன் மோசமான விளைவு என்னவென்றால் கூத்தாடும் குறைகுடங்கள் தான் வெளிப்படுகின்றன.

அறிமுகம், விளம்பரம் எல்லாம் மிகத்தேவை ஆகிவிட்ட இந்தக்காலத்தில் தளும்பாமல் இருப்பது புத்திசாலித்தனமல்ல என்று எனக்குத்தோன்ற ஆரம்பித்திருக்கிறது.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Music Appreciation, Indepth, thorough knowledged, reviewer with integrity என்கிற ஒன்னு இங்கே ஒழுங்கா நடக்காத வரையில், நமக்கு இஷ்டமில்லேன்னாக்கூட நம் சார்பில் யாரையாச்சும் நேர்மையா தளும்ப வைக்கணும்

தப்பே இல்லேங்கறேன்
    Vishwaroopam is a 220+ Crores Record breaking Blockbuster!
    https://twitter.com/KamalHaasanFans

Uttama Villain Reviews Collection - http://goo.gl/MSBVxv

Senior Member Diamond Hubber venkkiram's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    என் பார்வையில்,

1) ஒரு நடுநிலையான இசை விமர்சகன் எல்லாப் பாடல்களையும் முதலில் கேட்கணும். நான் ஒருவரின் இசையை மட்டுமே கேட்பேன்! அதுதான் உசந்தது! மற்றதெல்லாம் குப்பை என்ற முன்முடிவுகளோடு இருப்பவர்கள் என்றைக்குமே நடுநிலமையான கருத்தினை வைத்ததில்லை.

2) ஒரு கலையை இன்னொருவரிடமிருந்து அப்பட்டமாக உருவுவதற்கும், அதை உள்வாங்கி செய்வதற்கும் உள்ள அடிப்படை வித்யாசத்தை புரிந்திருக்க வேண்டும்.

3) ஒரு கலைப் படைப்பின் இலக்கு மக்கள் யார் யார்? அது அந்த இலக்கு மக்களிடம் எந்த விதமாக வரவேற்பைப் பெறுகிறது? இதைக் கணக்கிலெடுத்துக்கொண்டு விமர்சிக்கத் தெரியணும்.

4) தன்னோட திறனின் எல்லைக்கோடுகள் என்ன என்பதை புரிந்து செயல்படுதல் அவசியம். உதராணம் : பாப் இசையை பற்றி ஒருவர் குறைந்த மதிப்பீடு வைத்திருந்தால், அவர் வாழ்நாள் முழுவதும் அந்த இசையை விமர்சிக்கவே கூடாது. அது செத்த பாம்பை அடிப்பதற்கு சமம்.

5) எப்படி கலைக்கு ஒரு இலக்கு மக்கள் இருக்கிறார்களோ, அப்படியே விமர்சனங்களுக்கும் அதற்கான இலக்கு மக்கள் இருக்கிறார்கள். வெகுஜன மக்களுக்கு சென்றடையும் விமர்சகன் என்றைக்கும் மேதாவித் தனத்தோடு, இசை விற்பன்னர்கள் மாதிரி புலமையோடு விமர்சிக்கக் கூடாது. அவன் வெகுஜன மக்களுக்கு எளியும் புரியும் வண்ணம் விமர்சன மொழியில் எழுத வேண்டும்.
    சொல்லிச் சொல்லி ஆறாது சொன்னா துயர் தீராது...

Senior Member Devoted Hubber Benny Lava's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by venkkiram
    4) தன்னோட திறனின் எல்லைக்கோடுகள் என்ன என்பதை புரிந்து செயல்படுதல் அவசியம். உதராணம் : பாப் இசையை பற்றி ஒருவர் குறைந்த மதிப்பீடு வைத்திருந்தால், அவர் வாழ்நாள் முழுவதும் அந்த இசையை விமர்சிக்கவே கூடாது. அது செத்த பாம்பை அடிப்பதற்கு சமம்.

Post Thanks / Like
    என் பார்வையில்,

3) ஒரு கலைப் படைப்பின் இலக்கு மக்கள் யார் யார்? அது அந்த இலக்கு மக்களிடம் எந்த விதமாக வரவேற்பைப் பெறுகிறது? இதைக் கணக்கிலெடுத்துக்கொண்டு விமர்சிக்கத் தெரியணும்.

5) எப்படி கலைக்கு ஒரு இலக்கு மக்கள் இருக்கிறார்களோ, அப்படியே விமர்சனங்களுக்கும் அதற்கான இலக்கு மக்கள் இருக்கிறார்கள். வெகுஜன மக்களுக்கு சென்றடையும் விமர்சகன் என்றைக்கும் மேதாவித் தனத்தோடு, இசை விற்பன்னர்கள் மாதிரி புலமையோடு விமர்சிக்கக் கூடாது. அவன் வெகுஜன மக்களுக்கு எளியும் புரியும் வண்ணம் விமர்சன மொழியில் எழுத வேண்டும்.
    Hmmm. Not very sure I would agree with these sentiments fully.

3. I am not sure the critic's job is to find out about the popularity of the song and if it reached the intended audience. I would say the critic needs to apply a consistent aesthetic in his appreciation and accordingly criticize the work, popularity be damned. Else we will end up thinking that 'manmada rasa' is the greatest song ever created in TFM since it reached its intended audience and it reached it very well. I would rather say the critic should go by the inherent musical quality of the song and not by its reach to the intended audience.

4. I would partially agree with you on this. If a person does not know a particular genre, he better find out more details of the genre. But if a person holds that pop songs are bad, he better explain why he thinks so and why his aesthetics rate a pop song at a lower level than say, a rock song. (There are enough critics in the west who don't give a damn to pop numbers and they critique it as well.) As I said, if the critic has a justification for not liking something, he needs to state it clearly before he does his criticism.

5. I would rather make this a more generic statement about the ability of the critic to express himself / herself clearly (as vijay had earlier indicated) rather than limit it with saying it should have a greater reach. Then most of the blog reviews will become criticism!!

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Suresh

Post Thanks / Like
    என் பார்வையில்,

1) ஒரு நடுநிலையான இசை விமர்சகன் எல்லாப் பாடல்களையும் முதலில் கேட்கணும். நான் ஒருவரின் இசையை மட்டுமே கேட்பேன்! அதுதான் உசந்தது! மற்றதெல்லாம் குப்பை என்ற முன்முடிவுகளோடு இருப்பவர்கள் என்றைக்குமே நடுநிலமையான கருத்தினை வைத்ததில்லை.
    நடுநிலையான விமர்சகன் தானே?

அப்படி யாருமே கிடையாது. ஆனால் அப்படி நினைத்துக்கொள்பவர்கள் பலருண்டு

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast