Page 21 of 32 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: || Jhootha Hi Sahi | Abbas Tyrewala | John Abraham ||

Senior Member Devoted Hubber Benny Lava's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why so many negatives reviews for Hello Hello? Isn't it a lovely song?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber satissh_r's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Lava
    they say it is not hummable
    Patience, Forgiveness and Understanding are great tools for humanity...! Spread the Love - A R Rahman

Senior Member Diamond Hubber A.ANAND's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Lava
    intha songkku negative review-va

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    So why the negative reviews in some websites such as planetbollywood?

Or have we become like Ilyaraja music fans! Only his fans appreciate some of his new music, that too in kannada.

I hope not, for the sake of ARR.
    I am going to thalaivar's Detroit show tonight.
    Looking forward to it!

Sunny

Senior Member Diamond Hubber MADDY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnyg

Or have we become like Ilyaraja music fans! Only his fans appreciate some of his new music, that too in kannada.
    "some" negative reviews and our own negative feeling abt a album/song is "not" public opinion

and pls no Ilayaraja in our section :P
    _________
    Rahman's music is the ringtone on God's mobile phone

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MADDY
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnyg

"some" negative reviews and our own negative feeling abt a album/song is "not" public opinion

and pls no Ilayaraja in our section :P

Senior Member Devoted Hubber Guess_Me's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shocker
    Quote Originally Posted by A.ANAND
    Call me Dil unplugged by A R Rahman

Way better than the original! I want this version on CD!
    I prefer Rashid Ali's version. ARR's high pitched renditions all sound alike. And in this case he always ends the note as Jhootha Hiiiiiiii Sahi while Rashid Ali goes Jhoothaaaaa Hi Sahi which sounds more natural.

Senior Member Senior Hubber rayan36's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I prefer Hello Hello on this album!!!!
    AR RAHMAN - 'One note of the divine concord'

Post Thanks / Like
    Review of Jhoota Hi Sahi's Music

I had an argument/debate with a friend of mine a long time ago. I disagreed with him when he said that the expression of genius in art is only as valid as the complexity that goes along with it. For him, the more complex the artistic product, the better. I argued that complexity and intricacy do have its merits, but that emotional appeal is important too, which may be more powerfully expressed through simplicity and ease of accessibility, and perhaps, longer sustaining in terms of value over time.

Rahman's genius has been showcased myriads of times through his musical products, often complex and adventurous, appealing to the dissection and analytical abilities of the left cerebral cortex of the human brain. One often finds his music to be multi layered, unconventional, complex sounding, and generally "thick", which has undoubtedly lead him far and wide in his musical career to heights never seen before by any Indian musical artist within his sphere. But, this "avalanche of sound" as someone recently put it, has not always lead to endearment and appeal among the music lovers, though ARR and his fans can boast that this lack of appeal has been rare…..most of his soundtracks are well appreciated. But, the most important factor that endears one to his music even more than musical wizardry is the emotional concentration contained within and how the music touches one's heart and soul, appealing more to the right cerebral cortex of the human brain. One may argue that earlier in his ARR's career, he was more successful in balancing his music between left and right brain appeal, creating songs that were complex and adventurous, yet emotionally appealing and endearing without one side compromising the other. This is a very debatable topic.

One thing is for sure….you cannot typecast ARR's music in one category. His soundtracks are as distinct to one another as the colors of the rainbow. He has the very unique ability to mould his music to the film, the script, and the director's vision in perfect unison, almost to the point of generating a feeling of disbelief that 2 Rahman soundtracks heard side by side are actually composed by the same man. Labeling his current music as being repetitive, an unproven slant by previous critics and naysayers, is now met by silly looks and general dismissal. However, one may argue that the "stamp of Rahman" was more pronounced and emphasized in the earlier days. Yet, even today, if you hear his music closely enough, there is an unmistakable signature to his varied and diverse soundtracks, but never undermining the versatility of his music, truly reflecting ARR's unique ability to minimize his ego's impact on his creations. One senses that too when you meet him….simple, humble, down to earth, at ease. ….such rare qualities for someone of such high celebrity status, fame, and power.

For the soundtrack of Jhoota HI Sahi, ARR teams up with Abbas Tyrewala, the lyricist and director who created the much acclaimed "Jaane Tu Ya Jaane Na" in 2008, with ARR's music for that movie scoring huge points among both masses and classes alike. Does this soundtrack achieve the same mass appealing and class delighting heights? Let's find out!

The soundtrack starts with the low octave voice of Rashid Ali singing "Cry Cry". A very light, breezy, and jazzy track, characterized by bongo based rhythms and a pronounced ARR signature rhythm accent. Beautiful and meaningful lyrics with the folk word "kaiko" heard repetitively, this song speaks of the importance of living your life freely and happily, questioning why we cry and worry so much for small things. I love the acoustic guitar first interlude and the saxophone second interlude. The whole mood created by the music is very light and free flowing. When Shreya Ghoshal joins in later, the song turns into more of a conversation between man and woman, creating a very lilting and charming effect on the listener. The song just flows so beautifully with an easy to remember melody that is very appealing and heartwarming. The ending melts away in a beautiful flute outro.

Singers Chinmayi and Javed Ali step up to the plate next in the folksy "Maiya Yashoda" Jumana Mix, featuring more of a traditional sounding track, showcasing the Radha-Krishna symbolism. Another highly melodious and easy on the ears track with a semi classical singing touch by both Chinmayi and Javed Ali. Chinmayi shows her versatility once again as you would have a hard time recognizing her voice unless you saw the credits or heard the song repeatedly. I love how the word "maakhan" is used throughout, although one may argue that it's heard too frequently! Naveen's flute is played simply, but charmingly through the intro and first interlude. I love the harmonium and dholak backups to the melody and rhythm further adding to the folk sound. Choral contributions are authentic and spritely, featuring raaga Shivaranjani during those sections. The second interlude boasts of a swift sitar solo with rapid notes played brilliantly by Asad Khan, the same instrumentalist who wowed us with his playing in the track "Mausam and Escape" from the soundtrack of "Slumdog Millionaire". The tempo and intensity pick up towards the end with a frenzied finish. Another beautifully flowing track full of folk, Indian ethnicity, simplicity, tradition, and charm.

The phone seems to be a central part of the movie's theme and script, and hence, we have a song featuring the good ol telephone! "Hello Hello" sung by Karthik is an impressive number for its sound textures and groove. A more densely layered track than the previous 2, the use of simple acoustic guitar in creating a mysterious ambiance showcases ARR's s genius in creating a big impact with so little. I do wish the first interlude had more going on in terms of a solo or musical elaboration than just a sound effect. The bridge between the antara and the chorus is the highlight part of the song for me, showcasing beautifully sounding unique guitar textures and extremely ear friendly and appealing vocal harmonies. Telephone sound effects dot the soundscape towards the middle and end of this short track, but done tastefully in sync with the overall flow and groove and not in a clichéd format. It's the overall mood, sound textures, and ambiance of the song that are the main selling points here with less emphasis on melody.

Sonu Nigam returns in the next track, "Do Nishaniyan". Sonu's voice is heard less frequently these days in bollywood film soundtracks, so it felt nice to see him return. One of the most beautiful tracks in the album full of heartwarming melody and classy orchestration, this track can be confidently placed on ARR's evergreen song list. From the starting piano loops to the beautiful Ehru (Chinese string instrument) intro solo, the effect on the listener is extremely soothing and pleasing. Naveen's melodious flute highlights the first musical interlude while ARR's delicate and simple high octave piano playing sprinkles the second interlude. Abbas's lyrics are very classy and sophisticated, though the word "phone" in the middle there took me by surprise! The piano, Ehru, flute, and orchestral sustained strings are the instrumental highlights of this gorgeous and melodious track which left me feeling very enriched and touched at the end. Sonu's singing is in the lower octave range, but he manages some high notes during the antara to showcase his vocal range and emotional expression more poignantly.

A solo Shreya Ghoshal track comes in next with panache, "masti" and punch! A sort of "showtune" track full of jazz, brass, rhythm and pomp, I love how the song starts with Shreya's "la la la" naughty singing that gradually builds up with percussion and claps. Shivamani's percussion makes a big comeback in this track, esp. during the second interlude. I love the Scottish sounding first include with accordion and strings showcasing their sounds. The melody is infectious and the rhythm makes me want to dance! My 4 year old daughter loves this song and can't resist any opportunity to sing along when this song hits the speakers at home or in the car! ARR does justice to this genre of music with this song, though many have expressed their discomfort with this song, probably due to being unfamiliar with this genre of music and not having the acquired taste for it. Abbas's lyrics are apt and catchy. The song ends on a brassy, jazzy exclamation point raised a half pitch higher.

Another album highlight comes next with the debut (I think) voice of Vijay Yesudas, son of the famous sound Indian singer known as Yesudas. Another genre track, harkening back to the olden English/American slow swing jazz romantic tunes of the 1940s and 1950s, ARR once again does complete justice to this genre with very classy, smooth, rich orchestration and very melodious singing by Vijay. Simply a gorgeous track from start to finish, no melodic and soothing stone is left unturned here! ARR's genius shines in this track from start to finish. Abbas T also did a great job with the lyrics…very well in sync with the music and meaningful. I love the delicate piano touches, the highly textured strings, the heavenly flute, and the exquisitely delicious sounding saxophone having 2 solos, once in the middle, once at the end. A very expressive romantic song heard best during a candle lit dinner for 2, or under the stars at night snuggling with your precious one. Some may call this type of music "cheesy", but I call it extremely charming! What class, what class!!!!! This is a type of genre that has not been heard much in bollywood soundtracks….perhaps the first of its kind in an Indian film soundtrack, outside of the usual up-tempo jazz numbers that have been heard before.

"Maiya Yashoda" returns here but in a different avatar….."Thames Mix"! A more Western remixed version of the original song heard earlier, this one is more techno and electronic sounding with a higher tempo. I'm not usually a fan of remix versions of songs, but the type of remix done here is very tasteful and not overdone. The overall integrity of the song is left intact and the effect is very energizing and infectious. The rhythm and groove once again flow very well with no jarring transitions or sounds. A track likely to be heard in clubs and likely to become very popular. Well done, remix team! You've restored my faith in the remix art!
    "Do Nishaniyan" also makes a return, but in a different version "Heartbreak Reprise". A slower, sadder version of the previous song, the lyrics are beautifully penned and emphasized more here. Sonu's singing is again beautifully executed with the highlight being the semi classical alaap in the end as the song fades out beautifully sparkled with graceful piano notes. A very touching track…soulful and soothing and just plain beautiful.

The final track is another soundtrack highlight for me…….."Call Me Dil" the title track sung by Rashid Ali. Another genre based number in the mould of a soft acoustic rock, country western format, this song is full of…..you guessed it………melody, soul and flow. Arrangements are relatively thin and simple, but the song's melody, tone, and feel are very positive and uplifting. A very endearing, pleasing, soulful track that is sure to linger in the minds of many for a long time. I love how the strings enhance the acoustic guitar sound texture and with heavy distorted guitar coming in minimally during the last chorus, the impact is very moving. I feel Rashid was the right choice of singer for this song, though many wished that ARR had sung it. It's always a pleasure to hear ARR's voice, but for a song of this genre and feel, I feel Rashid's voice was extremely appropriate and he did full justice to the music. Abbas's lyrics are very meaningful, simple, and heartfelt.

Notice the adjectives that I have used throughout this review……heartfelt, simple, flowing, melodious, fresh, breezy, soothing, touching, charming, lilting, classy, appealing, endearing. This is the type of music you will hear in the soundtrack of Jhoota Hi Sahi. Because of the genre specific nature of many of the songs, the music will be enjoyed most by those with an open musical mind and some familiarity and liking for those genres. But, that is ARR's music for you…….extending and challenging the boundaries of musical experience for all those who are open and mature enough to appreciate what he has to offer….a global palate. His genius in this soundtrack this time is carried through simplicity, ease, delicacy, versatility, subtlety, and heart…not through musical wizardry, adventurism, and complexity. A mostly "right brain" appealing soundtrack, my advice to listeners would be to judge the music through your heart and emotions engendered, not by what you think the soundtrack should have sounded like or any other expectations. Rahman and his musical team made a soundtrack for a film that's a romantic comedy, and so, the music is bound to be light and relatively simple in nature. But, the genius legend still shines here……..in a simpler and more subtle form.

Copyright 2010 by Ichord

source:arryg

Senior Member Senior Hubber rayan36's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    so far this is my playlist track for this album

1.Hello Hello
    2.Pam Pa Raa
    3.I've been waiting...
    AR RAHMAN - 'One note of the divine concord'

Page 21 of 32 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast