தொப்புள் கொடிபுடிச்சி தொத்திவந்த இப்பிறப்பு
    எப்ப தொடங்கியதோ எப்போ தடங்கிடுமோ
    செப்பவே யாரிருக்கா செப்பனிடா பாதையிலே
    செப்பாம போகுதே தப்பு.

எம்பாவக் கப்பலில் எங்கோ புறப்பட்டோம்
    சம்சாரக் கடலில் சருகாய் இடர்ப்பட்டோம்
    வெம்பினை காத்து வெரட்டுதே எம்மையே
    தம்மபயம் எந்தருளை தா.
    Enayya Ithu? I pinch myself frequently to realize that I am still in this world. Can't believe what I am hearing! I feel it is the continuation of 'Kaattu Vazhi thumbam Illai' where it took us from the dark forest ( I meant the dark forest to the wandering mind body and mind) to focus continuously on the where the chant is coming from and leads us to that path providing light, leaving out the material world. If Kaatu Vazhi is a spark, Neeral Udal Kazhuvi is the fire itself, which is one of the form of Lord Shiva in Thirvannaamalai. The path though it leads has numerous hurdles like snakes and dangerous species, there is always light. Maestro projects with some terrific soundscapes (that too in synth) throughout the song which gives us a pictorial view of all the species. The udukkai sattham which signifies danger, but silence too, with shenai, bell sounds, signifies that there is Shiva's temple around. When he reaches there, he sees the majestic Lord with snakes crawling all over him with Shiva calling him like a child. Then he starts singing these beautiful verses. Maestro doesn't hide anything, and as he pours in everything from his heart to this one. Heavenly singing by Manickavaasagam Ayya.

I happened to make my parents and in-laws listen this one, and they were speechless. All their doubts about Maestro came to end. Highly recommended for mature listeners only.

Lyrical value is such, ஒவ்வொரு எழுத்தும் ஒரு ரத்னம். Speechless of lyrics. Could not believe it is coming from a modern composer and not from Manickavaasagar or Arungirinathar.

A great masterpiece to remember anytime. One in a million!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sample of two songs of 'Sriramarajyam'. Promising indeed.

http://www.raaga.com/channels/telugu...p?mid=a0002785

Post Thanks / Like
    V_S,

If both parents and in-laws agree on the same thing, it must be very very good indeed. Just kidding.

The more I analyze the song, the more I seem to get the hints of Raja. First, the selection of the ragam, Punnagavarali. 'Punnagam' means snake I think and PUnnagavarali is always associated with snakes ('nadar mudi mel irukkum nalla paambe' is in this raga.) Since snake is associated closely with Siva (Thandavakon) it makes sense to use this raga. I also, like V_S, thought he was getting the shenai sounds on the synthesizer. Later I realized it is not the shenai sounds but that of magudi. If you listen carefully you can clearly make out that he playing the magudi. And as V_S says the drums which are sounded, are like the udukkai. (The only external element seems to be the mandolin type of instrument which comes in giving a middle eastern feel.) All in all, as V_S says, Raja wants to create a soundscape which put us in midst of the 'Thandavakon'. Very apt for this movie.

When they announced the movie name and sort of spoke about the subject, I thought we would probably see some vigorous song, like 'Om Sivoham'. Instead Raja has taken us on a totally different path. And I am glad he has done that.

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    kaattu vazhi ..really kicks b**** ... what an idea/touch to sing sambo shiva shiva sada shiva with that "spit" in the voice. In recent times, heavy synth drums have been used to a great effect in these religio/philosophical songs.
    (@V_S..I think one can loop kaattu vazhi with neeral udal kazhuvi in the middle..since they are almost same subject..it will have a nice effect .. or you can listen to TIS )

Post Thanks / Like
    kiru,

Nice to see you back For me it has been 'kattu vazhi' and 'neeral udal kazhuvi' in loop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Now that kiru has also posted, waiting for the other great TIS fan, Jai, to post his comments on 'Thandavakone'

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber Sunil_M88's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    V_S great write up on kaattu vazhi and neeral udal kazhuvi wrt to lord shiva I felt the shivers just by reading your post. By keeping forest soundscape analogy in mind I will listen to the songs later

Suresh ji - thanks for the samples. The Jagadanandha song is the second duet by SPB and SG ever, I believe the first one was in 2004.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber MumbaiRamki's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sureshs65 View Post
    Sample of two songs of 'Sriramarajyam'. Promising indeed.

http://www.raaga.com/channels/telugu...p?mid=a0002785
    When im yet to break the while(1) loop for neeral udal kaluvi and kaatu vazhi , looks like i need to break that and start another loop !

Senior Member Veteran Hubber V_S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Suresh ji nice one yes if they are agreeing to something, we should celebrate it. Since my father's most favorite is K V Mahadevan and then MSV in his younger days and even now, it was difficult for him to accept others. But during these 20-25 years, since he is hearing more IR songs through me, he used to ask me those days many times to play one of his songs suddenly. May be what triggered him, nowadays he keeps telling me that, he cannot listen to others except IR. He was stunned by Pazhassi Raja, ULiyin Osai. But he is more into carnatic classical, rather than film songs. Sri rama raajyam should be a treat for him. Waiting, just 3 more days. Our home has become more divine and pious with these recent IR offerings.

Sunil, yes when I was hearing Neeraal Udal Kazhuvi and writing yesterday, it had shivers in me too, as you rightly pointed out and it took quite some time to come out of it. Always they say with Lord Shiva, you have to be very careful. Even in our homes, we don't keep his dancing statue in pooja room, but only the lingam. But if you have lingam, you should perform pooja regularly. Other Gods are friendly and you can be close to them, but only God with fear and respect is Lord Shiva (and again Parvathi). So the shiver is obvious. Even you can feel in his temples and the karuvarai, it will be so silent. Sorry for the digression.

Kiru, welcome back. Yes you are right. These two songs need to be listen back to back so that we can completely appreciate it.

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Suresh,V_S, et_al, I'd love to hang out here with you guys whenever I get a chance.
    (@V_S, i know what you are talking about re: shiva worship, coming from a family of shiva worshippers with names like sivakalai, sivanEsan, sivasankaran etc. Nataraja statue is avoided in our family as well..)
    Played kaattu vazhi to my wife this morning and she mentioned the rhythm being similar to adhi ushas..
    (Another tidbit from my dad - Some people have the habit of sitting down in the temple after the end and dust themselves when they get up. Apparently, this is an expression of "I am not taking even wee bit of dust from the temple home" .. otherwise .. sivan choththu kulam naasam .. not sure this is really happening all our politician aRangkaavalars seem to be taking a kickback out of every temple festival expenses and still prospering )
    Last edited by kiru; 14th August 2011 at 02:13 AM.