Page 62 of 119 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112 ... LastLast

Thread: The Golden Era of Dr.IR and Dr.SPB - Part 2

Senior Member Diamond Hubber PARAMASHIVAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    KaatilE kamban KaatilE - Listen to the wasy SPB says "SarAku MayilE"

Om Namaste astu Bhagavan Vishveshvaraya Mahadevaya Triambakaya Tripurantakaya Trikalagni kalaya kalagnirudraya Neelakanthaya Mrutyunjayaya Sarveshvaraya Sadashivaya Shriman Mahadevaya Namah Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PARAMASHIVAN View Post
    App anna

Have you not haerd of KaatilE kamban KaatilE From R.kumaran ?? It is kind of like "kuzhicha kutaralaum " song from Duet, Love both of these songs
    I heard it for the first time recently in thiraippAdal...that's the reason it won't be on this thread I like the song, however...can't comment as to whether it was a 'hit' or not

Post Thanks / Like
    nanRi Divine22!

song for today should be 'sithagaththi pookkaLE'...priyankA song tomorrow...

Post Thanks / Like
    #396 சித்தகத்தி பூக்களே
    (ராஜகுமாரன், 1994, சித்ராவுடன்)

'sithakaththi pookkaLE' from rAjakumAran, with KSC

Another sweet song from rAjakumAran, another KSC special. SPB doing a nice job too, as usual. Nice drum work, in addition to the great singing by this pair. I think it was around this time that the interludes weren't as exciting from IR as before. Like Plum mentioned in one of his posts about a recent rAsA album, they were mostly "functional". Not noisy or irritating or anything like that but somewhat lacking the extra-this-thing that we used to enjoy in rAsA songs from prior times.

This song is one example of such "functional" interludes that I didn't find them very exciting - not even the second one (typically rAsA saves some surprise elements for the 2nd interlude if the first sounded generic / functional etc). We can't blame it on the movie situation (duet kanavu scene, for e.g.) or the director or other team members for this phenomenon. Why? Because, that used to be the case even before but rAsA had very special stuff as interludes. Actually, those interludes were life-savers in many mAnE-thEnE songs in the past and most IRFs could "sing" them from memory. OTOH, even a "HC-post-92-IRF" may not be able to play from memory the sithagathi interlude...well, enough of my kuRai kooRal (Possibly that's one reason fans started blaming "outsourcing" -read KR- with arrangements / interludes etc from this time period onwards )

I've heard this number frequently on radio / buses around the time of the movie's arrival. Like I said for the previous rAjakumAran song, this too wasn't possibly a patti-thotti hit. Just moderately popular to reach the ears of a "not-care-much-anymore-IRF", that's about it

BTW, akaththi is a very tasty keerai to eat. OTOH, siththakaththi is one to which a lot of medicinal properties are attributed. The yellow coloured flower is lovely to look at and appears in bunches in the plant (shaped somewhat like avaraippoo which is purple colored)...IIRC, the flower was added to oil and heated, to make 'thailam'...for healthy hair
    Last edited by app_engine; 30th May 2012 at 11:25 PM.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber jaiganes's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by app_engine View Post
    #396 சித்தகத்தி பூக்களே
    (ராஜகுமாரன், 1994, சித்ராவுடன்)

'sithakaththi pookkaLE' from rAjakumAran, with KSC

Another sweet song from rAjakumAran, another KSC special. SPB doing a nice job too, as usual. Nice drum work, in addition to the great singing by this pair. I think it was around this time that the interludes weren't as exciting from IR as before. Like Plum mentioned in one of his posts about a recent rAsA album, they were mostly "functional". Not noisy or irritating or anything like that but somewhat lacking the extra-this-thing that we used to enjoy in rAsA songs from prior times.

This song is one example of such "functional" interludes that I didn't find them very exciting - not even the second one (typically rAsA saves some surprise elements for the 2nd interlude if the first sounded generic / functional etc). We can't blame it on the movie situation (duet kanavu scene, for e.g.) or the director or other team members for this phenomenon. Why? Because, that used to be the case even before but rAsA had very special stuff as interludes. Actually, those interludes were life-savers in many mAnE-thEnE songs in the past and most IRFs could "sing" them from memory. OTOH, even a "HC-post-92-IRF" may not be able to play from memory the sithagathi interlude...well, enough of my kuRai kooRal (Possibly that's one reason fans started blaming "outsourcing" -read KR- with arrangements / interludes etc from this time period onwards )

I've heard this number frequently on radio / buses around the time of the movie's arrival. Like I said for the previous rAjakumAran song, this too wasn't possibly a patti-thotti hit. Just moderately popular to reach the ears of a "not-care-much-anymore-IRF", that's about it

BTW, akaththi is a very tasty keerai to eat. OTOH, siththakaththi is one to which a lot of medicinal properties are attributed. The yellow coloured flower is lovely to look at and appears in bunches in the plant (shaped somewhat like avaraippoo which is purple colored)...IIRC, the flower was added to oil and heated, to make 'thailam'...for healthy hair
    i am sad to see that such a great song gets a sad writeup - I appreciate the honesty - but to dismiss the interludes and the song as one more "functional melody with functional interludes" - can place you among one of those "music carbon dating" reviewers.. Wonderful sudhdha Saaveri number this one is.. I have fond memories of this song as well as the movie as my maternal uncle was the first asst cameraman for this movie. He assisted Rajarajan and he had a lot of interesting stories to tell abt the movie. The story was altered to suit "100th movie" billing and became a regular masala - but Raja's music was the lone saving grace. This song was a particular favourite of mine - The way SPB started the charanams with an aalaap scaling up and swooping right into the charanam is a delight!! The staccato rhythms in the charanam are catchy and light nicely choreographed and always a delight to see Prabhu do some graceful double steps.
    When i remember the song the one sound that plays in my mind's gramaphone is the "jalatharangam" type bell sounds nicely arranged in the interludes and BTW this is no pushover interlude as you make it out to be.. - not violin heavy, but captivating nonetheless..
    Apparently, a democracy is a place where numerous elections are held at great cost without issues and with interchangeable candidates.
    - Gore Vidal

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jaiganes View Post
    I appreciate the honesty
    nanRi, jaiganes!

Please don't take my post as a "review" or me a "reviewer", ivvaLavu pakkam pakkamA ezhudhinathai pArththuttum en ignorance levels ungaLukkup puriyalaiyA

nanRi for explaining the specialities and the detail of rAgA as suddha sAvEri...

Junior Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by app_engine View Post
    Though it's a few a years away, the thought also flashed in my mind as to who'll marry our boy and become maru makaL? Will it be a relative as my wife hopes for or be a child of my friends that I hope for? Or, one of those foreign girls that "eeshify" the boy nowadays (welcomed with a realistic smile by me but shunned with absolute horror by my wife )

maru makaL amaivadhellAm...
    Fear not! Your boy is capable enough to dribble down the entire length of the field and score a fine goal all by himself, no passes required from you

Junior Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by V_S View Post
    I would like to recall KV's heart-felt post in other thread recently, If IR has given us so much and gave us hope when we are down and made our life more meaningful
    V_S and others, please mention the thread name too. Useful for people like me who visit this site only to read this topic.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber PARAMASHIVAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    App anna

You have missed 2 songs from Rajakumaran .

1) Pottu Vachattu Yaaru - Sad song, some similarities to "Anba sumanthu sumanthu" from Ponnumani

2) ?? It starts of as some sort of opening song, possible after a bull fight, it has some lines like " ennai vella ingu yaaru" ?? some one pls clarify

thanks
    Om Namaste astu Bhagavan Vishveshvaraya Mahadevaya Triambakaya Tripurantakaya Trikalagni kalaya kalagnirudraya Neelakanthaya Mrutyunjayaya Sarveshvaraya Sadashivaya Shriman Mahadevaya Namah Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PARAMASHIVAN View Post
    App anna

You have missed 2 songs from Rajakumaran .

1) Pottu Vachattu Yaaru - Sad song, some similarities to "Anba sumanthu sumanthu" from Ponnumani

2) ?? It starts of as some sort of opening song, possible after a bull fight, it has some lines like " ennai vella ingu yaaru" ?? some one pls clarify

thanks

2) ஆடி வரட்டும் மயிலக்காளை ...
    Grey Matter Matters
    http://vigneshram.blogspot.com