Let's start now. The first song that I want to analyze is this:

Song: Punnai Vanathu Kuyile
Film: Muthu Kaalai
Singers: SPB and Janaki

Since I wasn't in Tamil Nadu during those times I am not sure if this was a 'hit' song or not. Atleast it didn't reach me in Hyderabad. Going by responses I got to this song on twitter, it was not a so popular song. (Did app cover this?) Anyway as I said, the 'hit' is not as important as what we can learn from the song.

The song is based on Sivaranjani ragam, which Raja has explored in myriad ways. This song is what I call the 'peace' song. And also observe how everything supports the overall mood of the piece. There is nothing in the whole song which says, 'Hey look at me. New Clothes'. Starting from the shenai, the flight of violins backing the shenai, the north indian string instrument which plays Sivaranjani to the singing of SPB and Janaki there is a softness of touch. Also check how softly the pallavi ends. The first interlude also carries this softness of touch with the flute and violins. The one thing about this interlude is that I hear shades of Madhuvanthi here. Do others hear it? Lot of twists in the interlude but keeping in with his philosophy Raja doesn't let them go overboard. Everything is very subdued. The charanams continue in the same vein and wonderfully gets back to pallavi with 'palarum thenarum'. In the second interlude, the shenai takes up from where it left off in the prelude and this gives an excellent consistency to the song. Overall a song which we can bracket as the typical 90s Raja song.

Listen to the song here: http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer...8'&lang=en