Page 27 of 61 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: The Unheard Years : Raja in the mid 90s

Senior Member Diamond Hubber PARAMASHIVAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    There was a peppy song by SPB in the Early 90's called "Oh baby O paavaiyO I Love you" , I cant find that song in google. If anyone knows the song pls post it here ? thanks

I don't think it is a IR composition!
    Om Namaste astu Bhagavan Vishveshvaraya Mahadevaya Triambakaya Tripurantakaya Trikalagni kalaya kalagnirudraya Neelakanthaya Mrutyunjayaya Sarveshvaraya Sadashivaya Shriman Mahadevaya Namah Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Diamond Hubber PARAMASHIVAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    IMO the most underestimated song of IR in the 90's is album called "Inisai Mazhai" .
    Om Namaste astu Bhagavan Vishveshvaraya Mahadevaya Triambakaya Tripurantakaya Trikalagni kalaya kalagnirudraya Neelakanthaya Mrutyunjayaya Sarveshvaraya Sadashivaya Shriman Mahadevaya Namah Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    kiru,

Thanks for the comments. I am quite OK with the looped nature of beats in 'munnam seidha thavam'. Infact the song I am going to post today will also have a beat loop and I will talk about such songs. And wonderful comment about genius. Raja was one who reached a high level and was consistent at that level.

rajesh,

Thanks for the info. I did not know that 'thendral katre' was popular. I had also put it in because I wanted to talk about this song in a different context.

Nerd,

Thanks for the comment. I think the song sort of vanished after the initial listen I think. Definitely deserves more exposure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Song No: 17
    Song: Anjukejam Kanjipattu
    Film: Raasamagan
    Singers: SPB & Janaki
    Lyrics: Vaali
    Link: http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer...9'&lang=en

Not sure how popular this song was. Am currently doing a small check before I decide if the song was popular. Checked on youtube and couldn't find the song when I searched for the film. I could only get 'kaathirundhen' and 'vaigasi vellikizhamai' from this film. So I think this song was not a great hit. I may be wrong though.

I selected this song to highlight the fact that in this year Raja did a decent number of songs which had a sort of 'looped' beat as the background. These were not store bought, as was the fashion those days but constructed by Raja and played on the drum machine. We earlier saw 'munnam seidha' song which had a similar incessant beat in the background. The other song from this movie, 'kathirundhen thaniye' also has a 'looped' beat. ('kathirundhen thaniye' is an outstanding song by all counts.) Similarly we have songs like 'muthu mani muthu mani' and 'malai kovil vasalil' in this year as well as a couple of more songs which I will talk about. What is not clear is if Raja used such 'looped' rhythm as a reaction to Rahman and later Deva's loops or it was a natural progression for Raja. I think there have been songs of Raja earlier as well where such continuous rhythm happened in the background.

The song starts with the beat. The tune is energetic at the same time peaceful. SPB ensures that he meets the paradoxical requirement of being high on energy and being soft at the same time. The first interlude has good interplay between flute and violin. The charanams are typical Raja with something like Brindavana Saranga revealing itself briefly. The second interlude also has good flute and violin sections. Overall a song which again makes you feel that this could have been more popular.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anjukasam - Superb peppy song, definitly most popular song of Rasamagan beating Kathirunthen thaniye. Film bombed at BO but favourite song at recording centres which were like temple at that time where Raaja was god

Senior Member Senior Hubber rajeshkrv's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sureshs65 View Post
    Song No: 17
    Song: Anjukejam Kanjipattu
    Film: Raasamagan
    Singers: SPB & Janaki
    Lyrics: Vaali
    Link: http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer...9'&lang=en

Not sure how popular this song was. Am currently doing a small check before I decide if the song was popular. Checked on youtube and couldn't find the song when I searched for the film. I could only get 'kaathirundhen' and 'vaigasi vellikizhamai' from this film. So I think this song was not a great hit. I may be wrong though.

I selected this song to highlight the fact that in this year Raja did a decent number of songs which had a sort of 'looped' beat as the background. These were not store bought, as was the fashion those days but constructed by Raja and played on the drum machine. We earlier saw 'munnam seidha' song which had a similar incessant beat in the background. The other song from this movie, 'kathirundhen thaniye' also has a 'looped' beat. ('kathirundhen thaniye' is an outstanding song by all counts.) Similarly we have songs like 'muthu mani muthu mani' and 'malai kovil vasalil' in this year as well as a couple of more songs which I will talk about. What is not clear is if Raja used such 'looped' rhythm as a reaction to Rahman and later Deva's loops or it was a natural progression for Raja. I think there have been songs of Raja earlier as well where such continuous rhythm happened in the background.

The song starts with the beat. The tune is energetic at the same time peaceful. SPB ensures that he meets the paradoxical requirement of being high on energy and being soft at the same time. The first interlude has good interplay between flute and violin. The charanams are typical Raja with something like Brindavana Saranga revealing itself briefly. The second interlude also has good flute and violin sections. Overall a song which again makes you feel that this could have been more popular.
    suresh
    thanks for the song. This was also quite popular . the best of Rasamagan was "Kaathirundhen thaniye " by Chandrasekar(AMRaja's son) & lekha and it should definitely feature in unheard

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks San_K and rajesh. Will feature 'kaathirundhen' in the series soon.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber venkkiram's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    செந்தூரம் படத்திலிருந்து "ஆலமரம் மேலமரும் பச்ச பசுங்கிளியே!" -

சுரேஷ் இந்தப் பாடலை நீங்க கேட்டு எழுதணும். உன்னிகிருஷ்ணன்- பவதாரிணி குரல்களில் அருமையான பாடல்.
    சொல்லிச் சொல்லி ஆறாது சொன்னா துயர் தீராது...

Senior Member Diamond Hubber venkkiram's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rajeshkrv View Post
    the best of Rasamagan was "Kaathirundhen thaniye " by Chandrasekar(AMRaja's son) & lekha and it should definitely feature in unheard
    காத்திருந்தேன் தனியே பாடல் - அஞ்சுகஜம் காஞ்சிப்பட்டு போலவே புகழ் பெற்றது என நினைக்கிறேன். ரேடியோவில் நேயர்களால் கேட்கப்பட்டு ஒலிக்கப்பட்டிருக்கிறது.
    சொல்லிச் சொல்லி ஆறாது சொன்னா துயர் தீராது...

Senior Member Senior Hubber Devaraagam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Suresh ji anjukejam was the popular number in raagamagan.p but kaathirunthen was the familiar and liked from so called IR fans. Now I remember that myself and friend went to Veera did not get ticket so went to raagamagan, whie came back another friend got ticket for Veera so got into Veera

Anjukejam got familiar because of sun tv and sivaranani ( not raaga)
    Last edited by Devaraagam; 17th August 2012 at 12:26 AM.
    Music Unities Everyone

Page 27 of 61 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast