Page 29 of 61 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: The Unheard Years : Raja in the mid 90s

Senior Member Diamond Hubber PARAMASHIVAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AravindMano View Post
    It is. Here. http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer...2'&lang=en

Very popular in Telugu, from 'Nirnayam' movie.
    Thank you very much
    Om Namaste astu Bhagavan Vishveshvaraya Mahadevaya Triambakaya Tripurantakaya Trikalagni kalaya kalagnirudraya Neelakanthaya Mrutyunjayaya Sarveshvaraya Sadashivaya Shriman Mahadevaya Namah Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Song No: 18
    Song: Aasai Idhayam
    Film: Kanmani
    Singers: Janaki, Malaysia Vasudevan
    Lyrics: Vaali
    Link: http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer...0'&lang=en

(Thanks to Rajesh for providing lyricist info.) I hope no one says that this was also a hit I found out from twitter that the ' netru vandha katru' song was composed by Karthik Raja and he later used it in the Hindi film, 'Grahan'. So I am not taking that song as Raja's.

This song has a tribal beat and at the same time is a very peaceful song. The beat is also out of sync with the tune but as in all Raja songs nothing is out of sync !!! The singing by Malaysia and Janaki is upto their usual level. What I find surprising in these years is that Malaysia was seen less in Raja's songs. Especially when there were folks songs which he must have sung but instead went to Arunmozhi. His voice in this song is still good. The first interlude has a lovely piano backing for the folk flute. The charanam as usual is very melodious. The second interlude is outstanding, especially the first part of it. What a concept, especially the piano strains.

Don't know much about the movie. Hoping our regulars like Rajesh, DR and co will provide the details. Was it released? Did it run etc?
    Last edited by Sureshs65; 18th August 2012 at 09:44 AM.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber venkkiram's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    More than radio converage, Kaaththirunthen thaniye was telecasted in SUN TV/Music late night section for Sivaranjani during late 90's and early 2000's , IIRC. Watchers can confirm.
    சொல்லிச் சொல்லி ஆறாது சொன்னா துயர் தீராது...

Senior Member Senior Hubber Devaraagam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Suresh ji, its a nice one but my fav was o...en deva devi...3 people kalakal is that song...SPB , swarna and minmin I believe ....

This movie was not hit but few songs were some what popular like netru vantha and udal thazhuva, busley J busley (amazing beat and wonderful guitar usage)
    Music Unities Everyone

Senior Member Senior Hubber Devaraagam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lyric mostly by valee...let's check
    Music Unities Everyone

Post Thanks / Like
    Vinutha,

Thanks. Hope you are enjoying the songs

Venki,

A few friends on twitter said that they did see 'kathirudhen' for Sivaranjani

app,

I think though you said that as a joke, when I see the statistics, it may turn out to be a reality. I think from a pure nof hits perspective Raja in 1994 may have had more hits than other composers. But it is different when the metric is about the quality of hit ("Whether it was in the top 3 of the countdowns etc) and the %of hits against the songs composed. But it is definitely true that lot of Raja tunes of 1994 are still well known and are part of Raja fans playlist.

Post Thanks / Like
    DR,

Yes, I did hear both those songs and they are good. Loved 'Busile'. Very different construction. If I get a chance will put that up later.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber baroque's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    You are doing good , Suresh!

thanks.
    Last edited by baroque; 17th August 2012 at 11:17 PM.

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sureshs65 View Post
    the quality of hit ("Whether it was in the top 3 of the countdowns etc)
    As the year had Veera, which was as big as any of the competitor's hits (I mean patti-thotti-citi and not simply Chennai-CBE), IR was not too much behind in such countdown stuff too. (Though not anymore in his old position - i.e. 1st rank to 10th rank with all others only after that kind, in 90-91)

Probably things were worse in 95 & 96. pOgappOga pAkkalAm

Junior Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Aasai Idhayam uses the bass drum throughout the song along and the flute bit in the first interlude is something only someone who is as skilled as Raja can fit it into this framework.

I covered this song in one of my blogposts: http://geniusraja.blogspot.ca/2009/0...n-stage-6.html

BTW, I have indicated that Vennilavil Maligaiyil uses Vibraslap in this post. After hearing and playing with guiro, I am convinced that it is vibraslap and not the guiro.

Here is how the vibraslap sounds.

Sorry about the wrong information I provided earlier...

Page 29 of 61 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast