Page 34 of 61 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Thread: The Unheard Years : Raja in the mid 90s

Senior Member Senior Hubber Devaraagam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Suresh,

you are correct. when the audio was released even I did not give much attention to the songs as nothing was impressed me and later "samikittey Naan" was impressed only the pallavi.

After long gap when I was posting song of the Day, to post "saamikittey Naan" I started listening the songs and lost myself into all the songs and the complete album were in my play list and played it on loop for long time.

This is one of the album gave message to me that do not decide and ignore Raja sir songs at any point of time and any situation. You will feel it during your life time on its beauty so buy and keep it with you.
    Music Unities Everyone

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    DR,

Very well said. My biggest regret in life is that I was in Chennai from 95-98 and in these three years, I had bought the least number of tapes / CDs of Raja if only, like now, I had bought every tape/CD that was released !!

Senior Member Veteran Hubber baroque's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sureshs65 View Post
    DR,

Very well said. My biggest regret in life is that I was in Chennai from 95-98 and in these three years, I had bought the least number of tapes / CDs of Raja if only, like now, I had bought every tape/CD that was released !!
    I was living at Bangalore - Chennai during 94 - 97 too!
    I searched for THALATTU KETKUDHAMMA, ADHARMAM,PERIYAMARUDHU ETC...tapes, cds!
    I was not lucky to find.
    But I have few songs in some assorted collection Cds.

ORVASI ORVASI...KADHALAN
    Poet Vairamuthu's positive outlook composition!
    He is suggesting that don't get depressed over life's upsets!
    just move on....
    Kavingar Vairamuthu has positive and practical outlook for life!

வாழ்க்கையில் வெல்லவே take it easy policy ... WISE MAN!
    Move forward...please!

I will return back for your song offer of today.....
    thanks, Suresh65.

Vinatha
    Last edited by baroque; 21st August 2012 at 01:16 AM.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    rajesh,

Thanks for the Walter Vetrivel info. Will put up the song soon.

irir123,

I was looking for some reaction like this, for it was clear that during those years, when Rahman had started dominating the charts, Raja's fans were feeling a bit let down. Can you elaborate a bit more on why you didn't like the song? You have said lyrics, which is probably what Bhagyaraj make have requested. Around the same time, we had 'Urvasi Urvasi' from 'Kadhalan', which as you know was a superhit. Given that both these are 'fun' songs and the lyrics in the 'Urvasi' song is also 'tanglish', did you like that song? If you did, what did you think was the difference between these two songs?

If you promise not be break communication with me, let me say that I love this song They lyrics are definitely cheesy but the tune has superb energy. I haven't heard it when it was released but when I hear it now, I am honestly thrilled. The rhythm Raja generates and the energy level he keeps up is very typical of him. Well, I can understand people not liking this and feeling these type of songs are something Raja shouldn't be doing. I have had this discussion with Aakarsh as well since he doesn't like a few 'teen maar' or 'kuthu' songs from movies like 'Shambu' , 'Shiv Shankar', 'Sunny' etc but I love them all

Why would I break communication with you on the basis of what you like/dont like and that too over a song ??! comedy pannaadheenga!

'bus thaan ptc' IMHO is a rank bad song from IR's stable, irrespective of the timeframe (ARR factor), or the fact that 'Urvasi' was a hit ! even if 'urvasi' was a flop song, and had better lyrics, and it was a hit song with better lyrics, that would make no difference to my perception that 'bus thaan ptc' is a mokkai song!

it has nothing to do with lyrics alone - that anyway is not IR's dept - it is the choice of the motif/melody or lack of it - as simple as that - and quite pedestrian by IR's standards - the 'dagudu dattaan' chorus wud not have been Bhagyaraj's specific request - its IR's handiwork - which shows a certain lack of 'aesthetic care' that IR shows every now and then in his works - maybe its lack of inspiration that did it - but if those interludes had at least been IR's standards (strings, guitar riffs, brasswork), then those elements would have salvaged some of the lost efforts - but as a whole, for me the song sucks! in fact i wudnt even call it a song!

btw, on a slightly unrelated note, a friend of mine (a ARR fan newbee) played 'May Maadham' to me & i totally trashed 'paalakattu machaanukku' track saying you dont need a composer for such a track - below ordinary stuff!

so the standard applies to everyone - and when it comes to IR, the bar is set very high! as simple as that

just that you know - there are some veteran hubbers, who would tell me:

1. IR's music post 1987, lost that deep - sounding bassy feel even in the tabla section of his tracks! (i think a former hubber by the name "Eden" came up with this - and many others agree to it- but not me, even though i have some major issues with lots of IR's works in Tamil in the 1990s)

2. some major changes in the bass section of his tracks post-1987 - these two factors have contributed to loss of the ambient feel and thus the 'soul' inherent in his eariler compositions!

3.tracks like 'ennai thaalaatta varuvalo' are totally dissed by many HCIRFans ! Viswa (he used to work for Motorola - lost touch with him after 1998) was a HCIRF vehemently critical of many IR works in the 1990s!

4. surprisingly, almost all the HCIRFs were /are very appreciative of IR's works in malayalam around the same time!

needless to say, this section of HCIRFs wont go anywhere near other contemporary composers works!
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"
    -Robert Frost

Senior Member Senior Hubber rajeshkrv's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Song No: 19
    Song: Enakku Ulladhellam
    Film: Vietnam Colony
    Singer: Swarnalatha
    Lyrics: Panju Arunachalam
    Link: http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer...4'&lang=en

This film is a personal endorsement of how effective Rahman's grip was on popular imagination in those times and how much his sound made a difference. I have seen this movie but except for 'Samikku Naan Poo Parika' song with its 'narayana narayana', I remembered nothing else until Jai sometime back pointed to a couple of songs in this movie, including 'margazhi masam'. Even 'kaiyil veenai' did not register then. It came during the titles and somehow I was not too impressed. During those time, we were expecting Raja would change his 'sound' but in this movie he was sounding the same. It was disappointing when we watched and I just could not appreciate the songs then. The movie was a nice one, with Gounder in absolutely rocking form. His interaction with Manorama is howlarious.

As I listen to them now, I sort of shrug my shoulders and say, "Well, everyone makes mistakes". Slowly 'Kaiyil Veenai' picked up speed in later years and I see it sung in competitions, while 'smaikku' is not heard often. Today's song is the one which impressed me the most. I had posted about this in twitter and Aakarsh had replied that this was his favorite song too because of the unique rhythm. The song is both 'peaceful' and innovative. Most of the orchestration is using the synthesizer. The charanams, with the flute having a constant dialog with the voice and with its twists and turns is charming. You just cannot predict how the tune will flow in the charanam. Added to all this was Swarnalatha. What a voice and what a delivery. Inch perfect. I could easily add this song to the best songs she has sung though this one is not as famous as others. The second interlude, again mostly on the synth, is very well constructed.

This has been on my playlist since I heard it around a year or more back. I am not sure if this song appeared in the movie or not. That is how much I remember the songs of the movie !!
    Vietnam colony ella padalgalum kavingar vaali no panju in it

Senior Member Senior Hubber rajeshkrv's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    add to request from mayabazar 1995 ... Adada ange vilayadum pulli maane by jolly abraham.. nice one too

Senior Member Veteran Hubber V_S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice pick Suresh ji. Thanks. I think I only faintly remember this song. Definitely remember Maargazhi maasam and Kaiyil Veenai. This song is such a delight to hear. Listening to the whole soundtrack now. Nice to hear Maestro using some new synthesizer sounds. Hooked to Yennamo Sollla.

Post Thanks / Like
    for you pick.

Other than mega masterpieces of Ilayaraja
    aatamaa therottamaa.....
    ennulle ennulle.....

soulful melodies by IR-Swarna I melt this period are

kuyil pattu....
    adi aasai machaan vangi thandha...
    oorellam un pattuthaan...
    muthu muthu muthaarandhaan...

kuyil pattu... en raasavin manasile is very profound!
    melodious flute-ilayaraja.

oorellam un pattuththaan....earnest alapana of Swarna with pathos violin

I connect with the above compositions emotionally! That I call Raja pattu.... I melt,weep,fly in happiness with him!

let me pick one of my favorite from the above list along with your offer to feel complete!
    Last edited by baroque; 21st August 2012 at 05:53 AM.

Senior Member Senior Hubber Devaraagam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by baroque View Post
    I was living at Bangalore - Chennai during 94 - 97 too!
    I searched for THALATTU KETKUDHAMMA, ADHARMAM,PERIYAMARUDHU ETC...tapes, cds!
    I was not lucky to find.
    But I have few songs in some assorted collection Cds.

ORVASI ORVASI...KADHALAN
    Poet Vairamuthu's positive outlook composition!
    He is suggesting that don't get depressed over life's upsets!
    just move on....
    Kavingar Vairamuthu has positive and practical outlook for life!

வாழ்க்கையில் வெல்லவே take it easy policy ... WISE MAN!
    Move forward...please!

I will return back for your song offer of today.....
    thanks, Suresh65.

Vinatha
    If you are having original and 1st release of kadhal an cd, listen thuraimugam film song Chinna Chinna kanavugale Kannan by ksc.. Amazing song by ksc
    Music Unities Everyone

Post Thanks / Like
    chinna chinna kanavugale kannaa....Chithra's solo, beautiful!
    I have heard this song at tfmpage only.
    I never heard of this song while I was in chennai or b'lore!
    Assorted collections dhaane kekkaren...

India visit, remember watching seevalaperi pandiyan songs etc..

I bought kadhalan in cassette only. It is with ullathai alliththa combo!

Real popular during that time like kadhal desam, indian, Kamoshi, asai, DDLJ etc.. , they play in cable tv!
    Last edited by baroque; 21st August 2012 at 10:25 AM.

Page 34 of 61 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast