Page 28 of 64 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: Raja - Live in Concerts - Madurai Concert Telecast/Videos

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    shakthi peetam is in sringeri, karnataka. maybe that's the reason.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Loved the show ..the sound quality was fantastic ..it was totally worth coming from Chennai to attend the show ..Some of the Kannada no.s i listened for the first time and thoroughly enjoyed them ..the orchestration was just mindblowing ..It was nice of Raaja to mention the names of each and every member of the orchestra including the chorus voices ..I thot Sandhoshakke was the highlight , Jotheyale wud have been vert nostalgic for the Kannadiga crowd ..Overall a fantastic unforgettable experience ..

Hubber Attendance : skr , KV , Suresh65 , Ushatvsankar , tigger ,rajasaranam

Here's the song list :
    1) Amma Endhu - Honnina Therinali (Kannada Devotional Album)
    2) Janani Janani - Thaai Mookambikai (Tamil)
    3) Saranam Bhava - Sethu (Tamil)
    4) Om Sivoham - Naan Kadavul (Tamil)
    5) Akashadinda Jaari - Janma Janma Anubandha (Kannada)
    6) Idhayam Oru Kovil - Idhaya Kovil (Tamil)
    7) Mysore Mallige - Bangarada Manushya (Kannada - GKV composition)
    8) Ey Kavithe - Priya (Kannada)
    9) Ilaya Nila - Payanangal Mudivathillai (Tamil)
    10) Enta Soundarya - Maathu Thappada Maga (Kannada)
    11) Yaari Gaagi - Bharjari Beate (Kannada)
    12) En Iniya Pon Nilave - Moodupani (Tamil)
    13) Raja Kaiya Vacha - Apoorva Sagotharargal (Tamil)
    14) Sihigaali - Aa Dinagalu (Kannada)
    15) Hero Hero - Ajeya (Kannada)
    16) O Priya Priya - Geethanjali (Telugu)
    17) Sandhoshakke - Geetha (Kannada)
    18) Naguva Nayana - Pallavi Anupallavi (Kannada)
    19) Aye Zindagi - Sadma (Hindi)
    20) Omkara - Nammoora Mandhara Hoove (Kannada)
    21) Jotheyale - Geetha (Kannada)
    22) Botany - Shiva (Telugu)
    23) Nanna Nennu Gellalare - Nee Nanna Gellalarae (Kannada)
    24) Yaare Koogadali - Sampathige Savaal (Kannada - GKV composition)
    25) Naan Thedum - Dharma Pathini (Tamil)
    26) Solpa Soundu - Suryakanti (Kannada)
    27) Gannapanna - Prem Kahani (Kannada)

Post Thanks / Like
    Some interesting titbits of yesterdays concert :
    -> Raaja sir performed 2 songs of his guru G K Venkatesh ..
    -> Before Hey Paadal Ondru song from Priya , Vijay Prakash introduced it as a Raga based song ..Raja asked Rajesh Vaidya what raga it was , he said it was Kaapi and he played a small line in Kaapi Ragam ..After he finished playing ,Raja said he is one of Rajesh Vaidya's biggest fans.
    -> Maestro said he composed all songs of Priya in Kubban Park and Lalbagh.
    -> After En Iniya Pon Nilave song was rendered , Raaja showcased the xerox copy of the notes written by him ..It was composed on 22nd Jan 1980 at 7:03 AM.
    -> He mentioned that Ilaya Nila was actually composed for Moodupani but Balu Mahendra rejected and hence was born En Iniya Pon Nilave ..He mentioned this in the conclave event too ..
    -> Aye Zindagi was supposed to start at 1 pm , but due to the delay in another song by Asha Bhosle ,it became 5pm and only then Raja started writing this song and the entire composition was written and recorded by 1030 pm .. This was to highlight the brilliance of the orchestra and how soon the entire song was composed.
    -> It was very nice of Raja to mention the names of each and every member of the orchestra including all the chorus singers..
    The biggest sore point of the show was that i beleive some fans irritated Raja a lot and kept shouting despite his warnings and that made him leave the stage 20 mins before (4 songs) the actual show came to an end ..It was disappointing not to see the Maestro when the show ended especially since he was the centrepoint..But overall , very happy that i attended the show , it was a sumptuous musical fiesta given by Raaja and his team ..It was a truly exhilerating musical experience ..

KV/Suresh ,
    Request you guys to translate those interesting portions in which Raaja spoke in Kannada He did say something about R D Burman too ..Please do share all of that.
    Last edited by skr; 24th September 2012 at 10:28 PM.

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Raaja's Concert in Bangalore - 23-Sep-12

Raaja’s concert in Bangalore after a gap of almost 33 years! Yes – I remember his musical show way back in 1978 or 1979 (When Orampo song was making the rounds before the release of the film. In that show, Orampo song was performed). That show was performed in Shivajinagar Government school grounds with Gangai Amaran accompanying Raaja. Only Tamil Songs were performed during that show. Raaja had not done a single Kannada film at that time. Now – What a contrast! The National college grounds was jam packed with fans (devotees) belonging to all languages. Raaja conducted the entire show with his lovable Kannada diction. Stunning performance by the orchestra – I never expected such a quality in an open ground.

The show started a little late (because of the organizers and not Raaja). When BJP Stalwart Mr. Ananth Kumar’s came to the stage, the entire audience was terrified. But luckily he concluded his speech (which was centric around Raaja) within 5 minutes. Few more blah-blahs followed. Then the moment of the day - A brief musical piece by the orchestra was followed by GOD’s entry - A standing ovation by the strong crowd – Raaja accepts the applause with his usual style (Saluting the crowd).

Raaja for a change started the day with his 1981 Kannada devotional beauty on Moogambika – “Amma endhu koogidharae…”. Clean rendition by Raaja with the orchestra being better than the original. (Rajesh Vaidya was a surprise inclusion and Puru’s absence was a notable exclusion).

This was followed by Raaja’s anthem – Janani Janani. Raaja had few problems in singing the song probably due to the noise from the crowd. After the song he appealed to the fans to maintain silence and enjoy the show. Then he was back to his usual ways of communicating with the crowd. He quipped that the entire lighting was being focused on him and the audience were in the dark. “I have come here to see you. But you are in the dark”. He even requested to switch of one of the lights that was facing the stage.

There was a small Guru vandhanam by female chorus. This was followed by the thunder – Om Shivoham by the local boy Vijay Prakash. The orchestra was spot on. The male singers in Coat Suite rendering the powerful hymns in the song was an amusing sight.

Aakashadinda jaari – The folkish musical innocence of Raaja’s 80s was a treat. The chorus portion was amazing. (This song was used by Raaja in the Tamil film Vellaiya Thevan. Song – Vaanathil irundhu)

Idayam Oru Koil – Repeat of Endrendrum Raaja show

Baa Baa Mysore Malligae – This was from the blockbuster film – Bangaradha Manushya, with music by G.K.Venkatesh. Raaja praised GKV and also mentioned that he was his Guru. He also recalled the composing sessions of the songs for the film at a guest house in Doddaballapur. If you hear the songs of this film, you can clearly make out who is behind the orchestration of these songs – Complete Raajaish orchestra! Though Raaja mentioned that this tune is of GKV’s, I still have a doubt. He had used the same tune in the Tamil film Aduthathu Albert (Vaa vaa mysore malliyae…).

Priya – O Paadal ondru song’s Kannada version was sung by Vijay Yesudas. A replica of the original. Raaja mentioned that all the songs for the film were composed in Bangalore (Lalbagh)

Ilaya Nila – Mano sung the song. Sada’s guitar portions were fantastic. Raaja conveyed that this song was rejected by Balu Mahendra for his film Moodupani (En eniya pon nilave was the replacemen)

Entha Soundarya – Maathu thappadha maga – This was the first Kannada film for Raaja. Produced by Prashanth’s father Thygarajan. He conveyed that though he does not belongs to this bhoomi, his mother (Moogambika) is from this bhoomi. Sung by Vijay Prakash, Sathyan and Velmurugan, the song took us to the 70s

Yaarigagi Nota – The orchestra was stunning. Raaja recalled an important incident. When this song was being recorded, R.DBurman who had been to Prasad Studios could not control his emotions. He just bounced to the wall when the prelude was played. Raaja again played the piece where RDB could not control himself. RDB praised that this music is 10 years ahead. No big news for us! This song was again used by Raaja in Tamil film “Andha oru nimidam”

En Iniya Pon – By Vijay Yesudas

Raaja Kaiya Vacha – By Yuvan. He missed out in couple of occasions.

Sihi Gaali – Magic of 2007 from the film Aa Dinagalu.

Hero Hero – From the film Ajeya. Originally sung by Yesudas. Vijay Yesudas sung the song and had problems in rendering the fast lyrics. Enna oru Thullal indha paadalil

O Priya Priya – First telugu song of the day from the film Geethanjali. Mano who had sung the Tamil version rendered this song beautifully. The second interlude was amazing

Santhoshakke – From the evergreen film “Geetha”. Sathyan set the stage on fire with this foot-tapping song. He started the song with the famous phrase “Listen to the fabulous music by your Sanjay Maestro..”. Raaja mentioned about Shankar Nag who was a ardent fan of Raaja

Naguva Nayana – Pallavi Anu Pallavi. Raaja mentioned about Balu Mahendra introducing this director. He had never given importance to who was the director or artiste of the film. For him all directors were equal. That was the reason he was able to deliver such gems like Naguva Nayana

Yeh Zindagi – What an usage of violins! In those Northies were bowled over by the new sounds created by Raaja. Vijay Prakash just messed it up and was nowhere near Suresh Wadekar’s smooth rendition. Raaja recalled the recording of Sadma songs. The song recording was in Mumbai. Two songs were supposed to be completed in one day. Due to Asha Bhonsle’s slowness in coming in terms with Raaja’s song, the first song was completed by 5:30 PM. Yeh Zindagi was composed and completed from 5:30 to 10:30 PM the same day

Om Karadhi – Classic from Nammoora Mandhara Hoove. Swetha was fantastic. Raaja’s voice was little tired

Jotheyalli – Evergreen composition of Raaja. Even today no orchestra in Bangalore is complete without this song. Vijay Prakash took special permission from Raaja for the crowd to roar before the song starts as he himself was unable to control his emotions! Sathyan sang the first interlude portion.

Botany Paatamundhi – From Telugu film Shiva. The rhythm and guitar pieces in the song stands out

Nanna Neenu Gellarae – Vijay Prakash tried to sing in Rajkumar’s voice. This was the first and the only film of Rajkumar for which Raaja composed music. Raaja recalled how he was also one of the reasons for Rajkumar becoming a singer. As most of you are familiar about this, I am skipping this

Yaare Koogadali – First song sung by Rajkumar under GKV’s music. Sung by Mano

Naan Thedum – Raaja and Swetha sung this must-hear song of Raaja’s any musical show

At this juncture, the organizer came to Raaja and conveyed something. I could guess that it was the time factor. It was already beyond 11 PM. Permission for performing beyond 11 PM in a public place would have been a problem. Immediately the program was cut short. Earlier it was announced that Gum Sum Gum (Paa) will be played. But immediately after this intervention, they played the last two songs planned for the show. Raaja conveyed that he had specially composed a song for the Ganesh Utsav, which will be played after the next song. And immediately left the stage!

Swalpa Sound-u – From the film SuryaKanthi was sung by Anitha and Sathyan (Original song was sung by Raaja). Hearing the orchestra perform this difficult composition, I am now searching for the CD to give a fresh hearing.

And finally the Ganesha song – It was the same Hododonae from the film PremKahani. The lyrics was rewritten praising Lord Ganesha.

An eventful memorable evening came to a sudden end!

Post Thanks / Like
    Message from one of the Event coordinators for the Toronto Concert - Arun Viswa

Arun K Viswa
    hi ,,i think u all know that maestro is going to do a concert in toronto on nov 3rd(i am part of the creative team),,vijay tv is going to telecast this mega concert which is going to be one of the best shows of raja sir,,we are preparing songs list and i thought of sharing this with u,,i want u to give me ur list of 50 songs which u think raja sir and his musicians should perform it on live,,it doesnt matter who is the singer of that song(and pls try to avoid very rare songs),,waiting for ur response,,u can even mail me at arun.feb25@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Raja Sir Schedule

Toronto Concert

Nov 3, 2012

SFO - NOV 4, 2012 - CONFIRMED - although it is the next day

Philadelphia - Nov 9, 2012

thanks to arun viswa

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    raga_kann,

Superb writeup. You have summarized the show perfectly. I was unable to be around till the end. I was there till the 'Santoshakke' song. And you have highlighted all the important points.

Was a wonderful show. Orchestra was the highlight. Most of the singers did a good job. The chorus infact was outstanding. Rajesh Vaidya was given lot of prominence with Raja himself speaking about him. "He and veena are not separate". Mano, unfortunately, struggled in the 'ilaya nila' song, especially during the charanams. He had trouble keeping the pace intact.

Really wish I was there till the end. The song selection was spot on. And raga_kann you _must_ hear 'Swalpa Soundu' again. Rajasaranam and I have been major advocates of this song here as well as in twitter. It is an outstanding song. Very complex beat.

There are still so many more outstanding numbers of Raja in Kannada that he can hold some more shows without repeating any Kannada song.

Post Thanks / Like

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kameshratnam View Post
    Message from one of the Event coordinators for the Toronto Concert - Arun Viswa

Arun K Viswa
    hi ,,i think u all know that maestro is going to do a concert in toronto on nov 3rd(i am part of the creative team),,vijay tv is going to telecast this mega concert which is going to be one of the best shows of raja sir,,we are preparing songs list and i thought of sharing this with u,,i want u to give me ur list of 50 songs which u think raja sir and his musicians should perform it on live,,it doesnt matter who is the singer of that song(and pls try to avoid very rare songs),,waiting for ur response,,u can even mail me at arun.feb25@gmail.com
    Isn't it a bit too late to start the song selection process now?
    Anyway, just made a quick random list of 25 songs for now.
    puththam pudhu kaalai alaigal oivadhillai
    poongatru pudhidhanadhu moonrampirai
    adiyE manam nilluna neengal kEttavai
    poongathavE thaazhthiravai nizhalgal
    pani vizhum malarvanam ninaivellaam nithya
    raamanin mohanam netrikkan
    maargazhi dhaan Odi pOchu thalabadhi
    adhikaalai nErame meendum oru kaadhal kadhai
    paruva kaalangalin kanavu moodupani
    rekka katti parakkudhu vaalmiki
    poonthalir aada panneer pushpangal
    niram piriththu paarthen time
    poo pOtta dhaavani kaakki chattai
    kannil paarvai naan kadavul
    mazhai varuvadhu mayilukku rishi moolam
    kOdai kaala kaatre panneer pushpangal
    ponmEni urugudhE moonrampirai
    saamikitta solli aavaram poo
    kanavil midhakkum eera vizhi kaaviyangal
    solla solla ellaam inba mayam
    yengE sellum indha paadhai sethu
    thOttam konda raasavE pagalil oru iravu
    oru poovanathula kazhugu
    abhinayam kaatugindra uliyin osai
    valai Osai sathya
    Last edited by KV; 25th September 2012 at 06:41 PM.

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kameshratnam View Post
    Raja Sir Schedule

Toronto Concert

Nov 3, 2012

SFO - NOV 4, 2012 - CONFIRMED - although it is the next day

Philadelphia - Nov 9, 2012

thanks to arun viswa
    Is this really true? I was making plans to fly to Toronto but if it happens in SF that's really awesome.

Page 28 of 64 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast