Thread: Film / Documentary - Recently watched & worthy of some discussion

Hybrid View

Senior Member Diamond Hubber HonestRaj's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    VEEDU
    - watching it after very looong time.. don't remember anything from my previous watch...
    - liked it very much.. could have been a happy ending
    - film is more like a poetry.. & it is the reality of 80's
    - though i was living in most part of the 80's.. i don't remember much.. but i love the 80's world more than 90's & 00's.. here BM takes us through the streets, in the bus, canteen, office etc. set in the later part of 80's (1987-88)
    - IR's bgm.. lovely
    - liked BM's camera work & the way he expresses the emotions in visual.. less dialogues
    - compared to these kind of films.. present day zig-zag camera works & fast cut edited films are kuppai..
    - now life has come a full cycle.. present day need is also building/buying a apartment / house & the prices are soooo high.. in the film they build a house estimated for 1.25 lacs.. & now it is almost 40 to 50 times more.. & they sell a ground for 35000 Rs.

youtube links for the interested..

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Junior Member Newbie Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HonestRaj View Post
    VEEDU
    EXCELLENT. Watched/will watch it several times. Each watch is a new lesson to me. You can say its an encyclopedia of film making. Indha madri lam cinema ippo eduka yarum illa. BM visuals are always a treat. I think you are aware the BGM is from "How to Name it" album of IR.

12:06 - How to Name it
    24:51 - I met Bach in my house (@ 2:28 into the composition)
    31:00 - Do anything (starting bit)
    39:19 - How to name it
    50:00 - Do anything
    01:13:15 - Don't Compare
    01:29:43 - How to Name it
    01:34:24 - How to Name it
    01:36:20 - Do anything
    01:40:01 - Unknown (sounds like "You cannot be free")

Even now when I visit India, this music "Do Anything" automatically plays inside me whenever I see half finished red brick houses. Thats the impact this film has on me.

My Special Respects to the Old Man Character (M.A. Chokkalinga Bhagavathar).

Got it on VHS. (If I get a chance I will screen this movie officially).
    Last edited by mappi; 16th October 2012 at 03:20 AM.
    Any information on how to screen Indian Movies outside India, please post them here : http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthrea...-outside-India

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HonestRaj View Post
    VEEDU

First of all, mikka nanRi HR!

I should have waited a couple of weeks before watching this (supportkku / kooda azhuga oru AL pakkaththula irundhirukkum)...emotions thAnga mudiyala...kaNNeer like river, kEval ellAm...

So nostaligic!

Ofcourse, personal memories of 'veettaik kattippArththa anubhavam'.

But more than that, splendid film making by BM!

One of the best ever in TF!

Add lovely performances by the artists! And the ever-emotional HTNI pieces!

BM should have made it in Malayalam - it would have been a tremendous commercial success as well! I think even in Thamizh, it won some awards, got some recognition - but don't think it made any money in screening